Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 2002 shocks vs. 2003 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 05:07 PM
johnD
Coordinator :: ClubMINI.ph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have expeience regarding the difference of the 2002 shocks as compare to the softer 2003 shocks? I'm getting pretty tired of the bumpy ride of my mcs, if the differnce is really noticable I might swap my shocks to the softer set.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:43 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
I have a 03. Never been in a 02 so I can't compare the 2. I can tell that a August 03 is far from smooth. The roads here in South East Michigan vary from smooth to ridiculous. When the roads are bad, the ride is bad plain and simple, even with the newer shocks and 16 inch rims. Going back to the 16 inch wheels and tires did help some. If you have the 17 inch run flats, going to a lightweight 16 inch wheel and tire combination is probably the way to go. Keep in mind that any runflat will have stiff sidewalls. All seasons will be stiffer than regular tires but not as bad as runflats.
Progressive springs like the H Sports are reported to smooth out the smaller bumps as well. I would probably wait until your shocks need to be replaced. But I am certainly no authority on the matter of the factory shocks.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:55 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not 2002 vs 2003 that you're actually asking about. I have a 2003 Cooper (Sep '02 production), with the "old" shocks. I don't know at what point they started using the new shocks (or is it just new oil in the shocks?), but it was after the start of the 2003 model year.

Frankly, I'm amazed that there hasn't been more discussion (i.e. outrage) about this switch, especially from people for whom the switch occurred after their order but before their production! I would have been mighty angry. I love the way my car rides, and I'm glad I got mine before MINI messed with the shocks and compromised the handling.

It should have at least been an option: The LA-Z-BOY package could include the softer shocks, big poofy bucket seats, and a shaggy white steering wheel.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:07 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
johnD,
Do you have the 16" or 17" rims? If you have the 17" S lites, you might consider getting a light weight 16" rims with non-runflats. You will not only get a "softer" ride, but a quicker and better handling car as well.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:26 PM
bkcarrera
1st Gear
>>johnD,
>>Do you have the 16" or 17" rims? If you have the 17" S lites, you might consider getting a light weight 16" rims with non-runflats. You will not only get a "softer" ride, but a quicker and better handling car as well.

I think May '03 was the shock change. Not major - my car has the softer ones. I don't see a big change from a friend's earlier '03.
I dumped the 17" runflats. The absolute best thing I did was to add a 22mm rear bar. The change is the best result for the $$$$$$.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:45 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>Does anyone have expeience regarding the difference of the 2002 shocks as compare to the softer 2003 shocks? I'm getting pretty tired of the bumpy ride of my mcs, if the differnce is really noticable I might swap my shocks to the softer set.

johnD,
Your best bet is to replace your stock runflats with non-runflat tires. Depending on if you have 16" or 17" rims usually a 45 or 50 series tire will work. 195/55-16, 205/50-16 or 215/45-17 should work.
After doing that, then see how your MINI handles and rides. Most likely you do not need to touch the shocks.
Lowering springs might help a little on ride smoothness but only if the roads are smooth. There is more risk of added bumpiness with rough roads and also risk of scraping at driveways or when parking. If you do not corner hard/fast then you don't need a rear swaybar upgrade.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:20 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im using 16's on the MCS and its comfy and quiet. the R90's with SP9000R/F
were very stiff like my weekend car. for weekend, that's okay, but for commute,
id like to DRINK my coffee instead of wearing it.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:42 PM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
IMHO there are three factors contributing to a certain 'bumpiness' of the MINI:

a) the very stiff suspension
b) the runflat tires
c) the very short wheelbase
(and maybe d - really BAD roads in TX... :smile: .

The F1s are very grippy in the dry (haven't tried wet yet), road noise is less than with the SP5000's, cornering is a little better although turn-in (initial steering response) is about the same.

For me, the best mod I've done to my car so far was the 22mm rear anti-sway bar, the second best was the new rubber.

M.

Old 12-02-2003, 04:58 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
>>IMHO there are three factors contributing to a certain 'bumpiness' of the MINI:
>>
>>a) the very stiff suspension
>>b) the runflat tires
>>c) the very short wheelbase
>>(and maybe d - really BAD roads in TX... :smile: .
>>
>>The F1s are very grippy in the dry (haven't tried wet yet), road noise is less than with the SP5000's, cornering is a little better although turn-in (initial steering response) is about the same.
>>
>>For me, the best mod I've done to my car so far was the 22mm rear anti-sway bar, the second best was the new rubber.
>>
>>M.
>>
I have on order through the Tire Rack the Goodyear F1's in 205/50 16. Is there a reason that you went with the 205/55 16's? I am also switching from the SP5000's on the same V Spokes. Nice to hear that you like the Goodyears!

Old 12-02-2003, 07:27 PM
joesantoyo78757
2nd Gear

>>if you are unhappy with the sometimes bumpy ride, the easiest thing to change is the rubber. 16" wheels are less bumpy than 17's. I have 16" V-spokes on my 03 MCS, and have just changed to Goodyear F1 rubber, but in the somewhat unusual size of 205/55-16.
>>I love my new rubber! No rubbing issues (yet, have not cornered tight with a heavy load yet), and the ride is definitely better and smoother.
>>For me, the best mod I've done to my car so far was the 22mm rear anti-sway bar, the second best was the new rubber.

I'm so glad to read your comments, MG. I'm still waiting for my MCS but in my garage I already have 16" wheels and the very same size Goodyear F1's from the Tire Rack, waiting to make the switch as soon as my car arrives. I went with the slightly taller 55's because the Tire Rack was backordered on the 50's series F1's and probably would not get any more in again until Spring because these are basically warm weather tires - not suitable for snow and icy conditions. Since 195 x 16 55 series tires come standard on an MCS anyway, I didn't think I'd be taking a chance with a 10mm wider tread of the 205's.

Your experience confirms that I made the right choice to get a much more compliant ride without having to give up any handling crispness that would be noticeable in ordinary street and highway driving conditions.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:01 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
j- you know that 55 is the percentage of the width, right? so your
circumference is larger than stock. i wouldn't worry about it, but
jfyi. :smile:

Old 12-03-2003, 01:56 AM
johnD
Coordinator :: ClubMINI.ph
GoSharks:

Yep, I've tried changing my tires to non-runflats, but the ride is still a bit crashy. And I do have the S-lites so that adds to the bumpy ride, but I love the looks thats why I choose to have them on. I've heard from the other forum that the new shocks greatly affects the handling characteristics of the mcs, so I'll stick with my old shocks and suck up the ride. :smile:

Do anyone know if coilovers ride better than the stock shocks and springs?

Old 12-03-2003, 05:34 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
>>I have on order through the Tire Rack the Goodyear F1's in 205/50 16. Is there a reason that you went with the 205/55 16's? I am also switching from the SP5000's on the same V Spokes. Nice to hear that you like the Goodyears!

My primary reason for going with 205/55s was that the wait for the 205/50 size would have been 4-8 weeks (depending on who you believe), but basically it sounded like they were not available anywhere in teh US, and I would have to wait for the next batch to be manufactured and distributed - at least that's what I was told. My first set of tires was absolutely bald, so I had to get new ones right away. When thinking about it, the potential drawbacks were the risk of rubbing, and the risk of slightly less sharp steering. The possible advantages: slightly more compliant ride. Rubbing so far is not an issue, and steering and handling is plenty sharp for me.
In the long run I may get another set of rims and rubber for sporty driving. For daily driving, I am happy woth teh F1s in 205/55.

A few more comments on the other posts:
Yes, the rolling diameter of the 205/55 profile is 1.8% larger than the stock 195/55, but that is within the suggested margin. My speedo was previously over-indicating speed (reading 75 mph when actually doing about 72), so this will correct this discrepancy somewhat. At the same time, the larger tires reduce the torque you can put on the street, but at 1.8% I believe this effect is negligible.

All that said I should add that for being runflat and all season, the Dunlop SP5000's are a great tire! If I wanted to stick to runflats and have all season capability, I would get them again! Howver, the F1s are absolutely great! Love'em more every day!

M.

Cheers,
M.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:23 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MG-BGT wrote:
IMHO there are three factors contributing to a certain 'bumpiness' of the MINI:

a) the very stiff suspension
b) the runflat tires
c) the very short wheelbase
I agree with a) and b) but the MINI's wheelbase isn't particularly short. In fact, the MINI's 97.1" wheelbase is hardly any smaller than my '00 GTI 1.8T at 98.9". Overall length, on the other hand, is over two feet shorter!