Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Completely

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Mini Tyler
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completely seal the CAI

So I took a look at my ALTA CAI with box top and I do see that there are some small gaps in a few spaces that would be letting in some hot engine air in, and have the intake drawing air from places it shouldn't. What type of material that will resist engine temps should I use to seal this box up completely?

Before you respond, I do understand that the box will heat up because of engine temps; I am concerned with sealing it so the only air being sucked in is fresh air coming from the cowl.

Last edited by Mini Tyler; 03-31-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Silicone

Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Mini Tyler
2nd Gear
is there a foam in a can like spray that i can use to get to those hard to reach spaces?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't worry. Either way your HP is going to be the same. That little bit isn't going to do a thing either way.

LB

Last edited by Longboard Mini; 03-31-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Here's a thorough thread on improving the CAI insulation.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-findings.html

Too little, heat soak sets in quick but it clears out quickly once moving
Too much, heat soak takes longer to set in but lingers extensively.
Right amount delays heat soak and cools as rapidly as one with little insulation.

When moving over 40ish MPH you're relatively unaffected, which is why HAIs do almost equally as well with a fraction of the cost.

But it's always possible to build a better mouse trap.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
fishead # 1
3rd Gear
Foam & insulation

There are a Zillion different "foams" out there and temps are of little consequence. The lesser expanding foams ARE the way to go IF you need to use one ; they ARE VERY messy and even worse to "work" with (all foams) .If you do use the foam let it set up 24 hrs min THEN trim or remove any excess of which there'll be for sure. After it "sets --very simple trim & cleanup. The silicone IS better (heat rated) if its just small cracks to fill--good stuff--same idea on the set/ trim etc.CLEAN ALL FIRST (alcohol))If your try to SEAL --like top to box especially; the lesser expensive plumbers pipe insulation (split rubber) IS the ticket. Super easy to work with--pre cut all; mitre the corners , dry fit /test fit /ALL the pieces then after your good to go remove the adhesive tape ( if you want permanent) and VOILA !! FINI That insulation WILL form to "irregularities / clearences "etc as its really "malleable" & heat is no problem (it WILL BURN) A "perfect job is most likely gonna combine at least 2 of the aforementioned=== PERFECTION

Old 03-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishead # 1
There are a Zillion different "foams" out there and temps are of little consequence. The lesser expanding foams ARE the way to go IF you need to use one ; they ARE VERY messy and even worse to "work" with (all foams) .If you do use the foam let it set up 24 hrs min THEN trim or remove any excess of which there'll be for sure. After it "sets --very simple trim & cleanup. The silicone IS better (heat rated) if its just small cracks to fill--good stuff--same idea on the set/ trim etc.CLEAN ALL FIRST (alcohol))If your try to SEAL --like top to box especially; the lesser expensive plumbers pipe insulation (split rubber) IS the ticket. Super easy to work with--pre cut all; mitre the corners , dry fit /test fit /ALL the pieces then after your good to go remove the adhesive tape ( if you want permanent) and VOILA !! FINI That insulation WILL form to "irregularities / clearences "etc as its really "malleable" & heat is no problem (it WILL BURN) A "perfect job is most likely gonna combine at least 2 of the aforementioned=== PERFECTION
Wow

Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 PM
fishead # 1
3rd Gear
longboard

Other then giving Tyler EXACTLY what HE asked for is there some problem I'm unaware of ?? Personally I think you've got a h*** of a nice ride & I don't think it got that way by doin ANYTHING half A**------if I'm wrong -straighten me out . I HAD really wanted to ask how the rotrex thing was hapnin --------$$ don't buy happiness though I've got enough of both to discuss it a bit if you'd care to.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Mini Tyler
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the responses. my whole thought is thinking of the intake as a vacuum....if there are multiple holes along the pipe inlet, the suction at the primary inlet (and what should be the only inlet) it wouldn't be as powerful as it could (at least thats what my brain tells me). I will try some silicone and some rubber trim and see if I can squeeze my giant hands down into those small spaces.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:12 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Hey Tyler,
PM me a picture of your intake setup if you can. I might have a seal for the top of your box- to boxtop!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 AM
fishead # 1
3rd Gear
XZAKLEE

Ty : You've definitely got the brain workin correct-------do it YOUR way-------it's THE RIGHT way !!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Mini Tyler
2nd Gear
Thanks Jarid, I'll PM pictures to you when I get home from work

Thanks Fishead