Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW Tuning Feedback -How's your R56 MINI doing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM
btwdriver
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tune will not be able to remove the CEL generated by the second O2 sensor.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM
combfilter
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by btwdriver
The tune will not be able to remove the CEL generated by the second O2 sensor.
ok thanks.

Last edited by combfilter; 08-13-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
The new tune will cure that
any luck working on the p0420 for track cars ? or the pop & burble from the JCW's/Challenge cars ?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wasn't the burble calibration already loaded on someone's R56 with success? I thought I even saw a video and it was DEFINITELY working.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the burble only works on the JCW cars.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Wasn't the burble calibration already loaded on someone's R56 with success? I thought I even saw a video and it was DEFINITELY working.
That's mine

Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
That's mine
Is it the tune or exhaust that makes your burble? How come Jan can't reproduce i for the rest of us then?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM
stinkytofu
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
Is it the tune or exhaust that makes your burble? How come Jan can't reproduce i for the rest of us then?

im pretty sure its in the tune. jan can produce it for the rest of us but he's busy making sure everyone is set/happy on their tunes before he gives us non power adders.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Ah, I got a test file a long time ago and it didn't work on mine, so as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't work

Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
It's all tune

And I think what stinkytofu said is about correct.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Yeah I was pretty sure the burble was from the tune, but it's odd that the rest of us can't get it. Hopefully sooner than later!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Yeah I was pretty sure the burble was from the tune, but it's odd that the rest of us can't get it. Hopefully sooner than later!
the pop & burble's in the tune, but it may be less noticeable (once it's implemented) on a stock North American MCS exhaust system since the JCW and Euro models (which have the pop & burble) don't have a 2nd cat.
Jan had said he's focusing on figuring out/eliminating the torque/boost limiter for first gear before he worries about the pop & burble. Personally I found the tune creates way more power in first gear than I can really put down, so I wish he'd work on the fun stuff already !

Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by n1tr0
the pop & burble's in the tune, but it may be less noticeable (once it's implemented) on a stock North American MCS exhaust system since the JCW and Euro models (which have the pop & burble) don't have a 2nd cat.
Jan had said he's focusing on figuring out/eliminating the torque/boost limiter for first gear before he worries about the pop & burble. Personally I found the tune creates way more power in first gear than I can really put down, so I wish he'd work on the fun stuff already !
Good thing I removed my 2nd cat . I am waiting on the pop and burble to come out before I get the tune, but if it does not come out in the next 2-3 weeks then I am just going to get it because I just can't wait any longer . Hopefully we get the p&b before the new models get it.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I have a JCW exhaust and have a tiny amount of burble when the car is cold, but it's gone after that. I tried it w/o the 2nd cat and it just sounded crappier without any burble as well, so it's back on.

No 1st gear limiter would be great, can be pretty laggy if I don't launch it right during regular driving without sport mode on.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
See...I can't wait for him to get rid of the 1st gear limiter...1st gear sucks in my car!

I'll trade you my burble for your fast 1st gear?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like it's time for R-compound tires N1tro

Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Ya that first gear thing is the worst. Sometimes I forget about it and so I nail it and its like the car has ashma in first and cant catch its breath, then second hits and away you go..........Whooosh!!!
Damn you first gear

Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
I just don't understand how anyone's driving around in first gear, any time I'm in first, it's for about 2-3 seconds before I shift into 2nd and if there's hesitation it's accompanied by the traction control light flashing. The turbo spools so quickly and has so much torque down low, it seems silly to stay in such a short legged gear.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Thats a confusing statement, you have to go through first to get to second? Do you do second gear starts all the time? I have to admit I havent tried that yet but I can not imagine it would help my launch time. The problem is no matter how hard you punch it in first it wont spool up, it dumps almost all the boost, OK not all but its about as fast off the line as a honda accord in first, then in second it works as it should.

I guess Ill try your advice and second gear start it to see if its any faster?

Update: No that didnt help (well, it did because I missed first,but it was not fast) , and I dont think its very good for your clutch.

Last edited by chakraj; 07-30-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:59 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chakraj
Thats a confusing statement, you have to go through first to get to second? Do you do second gear starts all the time? I have to admit I havent tried that yet but I can not imagine it would help my launch time. The problem is no matter how hard you punch it in first it wont spool up, it dumps almost all the boost, OK not all but its about as fast off the line as a honda accord in first, then in second it works as it should.

Update: No that didnt help (well, it did because I missed first,but it was not fast) , and I dont think its very good for your clutch.
Yeah, you can feel it dump all the boost in 1st....shift into second and your off. Your Honda Accord statement is so true! It's almost embarrassing. . I've been waiting to go to the drag strip, but I'm too embarrassed to have people see how pathetic 1st gear is lol.

With between 230-240 ft-lbs to the wheels...1st gear should absolutely roast the tires. Unfortunately it's anything but that.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:22 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by chakraj

I know it doesn't apply in your case because you don't have an auto transmission but I'm just throwing this out there as an FYI. With an automatic transmission without the sport button pressed it uses gears 2 thru 6, with the sport button pressed it uses gears 1 thru 5.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Hey SimpsonGI, how does the first gear limiter work with the auto trans or does it even have one?

Old 07-31-2010, 01:33 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
Hey SimpsonGI, how does the first gear limiter work with the auto trans or does it even have one?
It is limited. It works the same as the manual transmission. It still limits the boost in first and even a little bit in second gear. I don't get the higher boost values until I'm in third.

One thing I have really noticed though, is that with the auto trans it shifts quick enough that I don't lose much boost when it shifts.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
It is limited. It works the same as the manual transmission. It still limits the boost in first and even a little bit in second gear. I don't get the higher boost values until I'm in third.

One thing I have really noticed though, is that with the auto trans it shifts quick enough that I don't lose much boost when it shifts.

Hmm interesting. If the sport button does gears 1-5 and the non-sport does gears 2-6, as you said, which would give you a better drag time? Sport or non-sport? I think it might be sport just because it changes the shift points to almost redline.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:16 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
Hmm interesting. If the sport button does gears 1-5 and the non-sport does gears 2-6, as you said, which would give you a better drag time? Sport or non-sport? I think it might be sport just because it changes the shift points to almost redline.
If you are drag racing you probably have the pedal to the floor in which case it will always go to redline before shifting.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain RMW Tuning Feedback -How's your R56 MINI doing?