Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW Tuning Feedback -How's your R56 MINI doing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:43 AM
combfilter
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by btwdriver
The tune will not be able to remove the CEL generated by the second O2 sensor.

RMW any input on this?

Looks like alta's (cobb accessport) is able to just turn off the CEL just for the code related to DP related o2 sensor stuff.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...79-post27.html

Looks like along with RMW there are now 2 other substantial tunes/tuners for the r56. Alta, and NM are now in the game.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any word on the first gear boost dump yet???

Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by combfilter
RMW any input on this?

Looks like alta's (cobb accessport) is able to just turn off the CEL just for the code related to DP related o2 sensor stuff.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...79-post27.html

Looks like along with RMW there are now 2 other substantial tunes/tuners for the r56. Alta, and NM are now in the game.

turning off the light won't let you pass emissions, the gains for taking out the stock cat on a street car (which is another federal violation is crazy)imho....
the gain is only about 8hp and a big fine..........

Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by chakraj
Any word on the first gear boost dump yet???

I have the master damos file, just been busy with multiple projects which soon will be released. This file will allow any modification of the ecu. I have the other software now to decode it.

Unlike others I have to develop this stuff myself

Working on Porsche's another other BMWs at the same time plus getting racing teams up to spec leaves little time for me or the family for that matter

Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
I have the master damos file, just been busy with multiple projects which soon will be released. This file will allow any modification of the ecu. I have the other software now to decode it.
Finally!

I expected a phone call for something this great

All the tuning problems in the R56 world are about to be solved

Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
chakraj
5th Gear
I am not complaining, you are one hard worker. I am just excited to be able to get those tires spinning in first again

Old 08-13-2010, 12:08 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I am not complaining, you are one hard worker. I am just excited to be able to get those tires spinning in first again
you don't ask for much. I want the tires spinning hard in third gear again. First gear has never been a problem even completely stock. Without boost dump they'll just spin faster.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 08-13-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
jlanemini
1st Gear
Can't wait to see what Jan adds next.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:07 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
when I was stock first gear would spin also, and with the Unichip they would spin off almost But right now, no go ... or no spin atleast :-/

Old 08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
when I was stock first gear would spin also, and with the Unichip they would spin off almost But right now, no go ... or no spin atleast :-/

You can't spin your tires in first gear now???

Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
If I drop the clutch from 5k I can, but before I used to be able to start at 1700 and then with the clutch all the way out put my foot down and they would spin. Now putting my foot down makes it dump more boost so No I cant. I have said many times, in first gear its about as fast as a honda accord, I know from experience, that stupid honda almost ran me off the road, once I hit second I was gone like they where standing still.... And No I was not racing, I was trying to merge. I just thought forsure I would be merging infront of a stock accord, so it got a little close, thank god for second gear

Last edited by chakraj; 08-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:21 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
I've never been able to....stock or tuned lol

Oddly enough though it's been hitting 14-16 psi in 1st gear lately....according to my SG. Yet it feels just like it normally does as if it were putting out the paltry 10-11psi that it normally does. I'm beginning to wonder if my MAP sensor is out of whack....

Car went into limp mode for boost being too high a few weeks ago...dealer printout from the DME said it was around 29psi when the fault occured...yet I specifically remember looking at the scan guage as the fault was triggered. I was in 5th gear on the highway, and went WOT...it accelerated smoothly and read a solid 18psi. And it certainly did not feel like it was boosting 29 psi! So I don't know what the deal is...

Last edited by ThumperMCS; 08-13-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:23 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Ya, Im not worried, Jan will get it all figured out. these things take time. and on a track, no one uses first anyway.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:39 PM
chakraj
5th Gear
Talk about service. I get home and there is an email from Jan, he says try this

Well so far so good, I don't have a lot of places to test it around my house, but first is building and breathing clearly. It used to be like he had asthma in first, and it sounds like it has cleared up. I will have to drive it for a while, but I think it's fixed Thanks Jan.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Subscribing

I'm driving down next week to pay Jan a visit and definitely want to follow this thread. Words cannot describe the anticipation I'm feeling right now. So I will just end with whoooohooooo!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
uzun
4th Gear
Another very satisfied RMW customer here. Jan spent some more time with my car on the dyno recently and I am now able to do a 2:43 lap at Sebring on street gas and street tires. The car makes about 15 more whp on race gas, so I am hoping I will be able to approach mid 2:30s with race gas, Hoosiers and further improved driving skills. I owe Jan a victory in the time trials!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
I've been happy with my RMW canned tune (even though it's been the only one available). However, I've been a little disappointed in Jan's commitment to further updating/bettering the original tune. After the tune went out to the masses, there was a couple posts from Jan indicating more good thing to come in the near future (april/march) including the pop/burble. Now we are all stuck with this tune with no further development in sight and very little indication from Jan what could possibly be next with Alta promoting a better tool and better low/mid hp/tq gains. Hopefully Jan comes back to the Mini world and remembers the 100 or so who supported his original work.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PoktRokt
Hopefully Jan comes back to the Mini world and remembers the 100 or so who supported his original work.
He's been wicked busy, but I promise, he hasn't forgot about ya!

Stuff is coming soon

On a side note, going with the original topic of the thread "how's your tune doing"...short answer is great and have a funny little story from today:

I was on a closed track (), and an E39 M5 was there too. As we were driving through a series of straight away's...it was very evident that the MINI was holding it's own against the mighty 400hp V8. After a while, the guy in the M5 rolls down his window, stunned, and proceeds to say "Damn!! That little piece of **** really FLIES!!" Didn't care for his choice of words...but needless to say I got a good chuckle out of it. Got a thumbs up from him too.

It always amazes me what cars a tuned R56 can out run or keep up with

Last edited by ThumperMCS; 08-20-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...with Alta promoting a better tool and better low/mid hp/tq gains...

Yes, Alta's tool can double as an obd scantool, but you have to take Alta's claims with a heavy dose of reality. I've bought and scrapped a couple grand worth of their performance parts after seeing losses on the dyno instead of gains. Just because they have a pretty pictures that doesn't always make it true.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:14 AM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Here's how my Jan tuned R56 is running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3rBJULIU-E

Jan's the man!!!

Now if I can only get 250 WHP & 250+ WTQ.

Cheers!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been happy with my RMW canned tune (even though it's been the only one available). However, I've been a little disappointed in Jan's commitment to further updating/bettering the original tune. After the tune went out to the masses, there was a couple posts from Jan indicating more good thing to come in the near future (april/march) including the pop/burble. Now we are all stuck with this tune with no further development in sight and very little indication from Jan what could possibly be next with Alta promoting a better tool and better low/mid hp/tq gains. Hopefully Jan comes back to the Mini world and remembers the 100 or so who supported his original work.
I think the jury is still out on the new tunes and how often there will be updated.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:04 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by n1tr0

Yes, Alta's tool can double as an obd scantool, but you have to take Alta's claims with a heavy dose of reality. I've bought and scrapped a couple grand worth of their performance parts after seeing losses on the dyno instead of gains. Just because they have a pretty pictures that doesn't always make it true.

Agreed, but it sounds like ALTA has spent the time unlocking the ECU as much as Jan has, if not more, and ALta/Perrin have experience in tuning. It sounds like they have actually spent more time and commitment to the project and Jan has been sidetracked with other projects - which is fine, he has a business to run, however, it would be nice to know that he hasn't dropped off the face and plans to spend more time with the MINI ECU to compete with the other tuners that are now coming out. The pop/burble was promised a long time ago and now it's idefintly on hold

Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Agreed, but it sounds like ALTA has spent the time unlocking the ECU as much as Jan has, if not more, and ALta/Perrin have experience in tuning. It sounds like they have actually spent more time and commitment to the project and Jan has been sidetracked with other projects - which is fine, he has a business to run, however, it would be nice to know that he hasn't dropped off the face and plans to spend more time with the MINI ECU to compete with the other tuners that are now coming out. The pop/burble was promised a long time ago and now it's idefintly on hold

actually Cobb did the work

No I haven't forgotten anyone. Over 100 cars out there already and 1 guy doing all the work.........get the picture? I'm developing 2 supercharger kits, headers for Porsche's, tuning fixes for porsches, racing and traveling the country doing custom tuning for race cars and street cars.....you are right....I've been slacking off.............

Old 08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Here in Washington state, they just plug into the OBD port, and if the ECU tells them everything is fine, we pass. They don't use anything for the tailpipe. If the tune could eliminate the CEL and the ECU from reporting a problem, it would save us the trouble from having to switch downpipes to pass.

Last edited by BBoshart; 08-20-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,154 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
actually Cobb did the work

No I haven't forgotten anyone. Over 100 cars out there already and 1 guy doing all the work.........get the picture? I'm developing 2 supercharger kits, headers for Porsche's, tuning fixes for porsches, racing and traveling the country doing custom tuning for race cars and street cars.....you are right....I've been slacking off.............
OK - It seems like everyone out there is having fun with their new tune Being a novice at this, I have a few questions. These are related more to getting a tune than "how's it doing". But this thread seems to have touched on a number of items that are related to getting a tune and mods. I hope people don't mind, but this seem to be the best thread for my questions even though it crossover some others. I have tried Search but information about getting a tune is scattered. If my questions are answered somewhere else, point me to them. But, here goes:

1) I have seen that you have a "canned" and "custom" tune that you do an on-the-spot with the car on a dyno. But I thought I saw on a thread where, if someone had access, to a dyno you could do a "custom" tune. Did I understand that correctly and if yes, what information do I need to provide? The second part of my quesition comes from the differences in information I can get from a dyno, such as a basic torque/hp curve or I think I can get other engin/car information. Hopefully, if I can send you a dyno result, it will save you time from having to running around the country to do this so you can get to those other things that you have been planning to do, like eating

2) Should I get any engine mods done before getting a tune? Mine are simple - intercooler, turbo outlet pipe, maybe intercooler cold-side pipe.

3) In a tune, what happens to the over-boost mode that BMW put in? That was good for about 20 hp for a short period.

4) I thought that one thread hinted at the tune could be set to be a function of the sport button. I kinda like the relaxed-drive-around-town feel of the non-sport mode. How does the tune affect that. Don't get me wrong, I have found plenty of occations to push the "Cooper on Crack" botton. It just doesn't seem worth it driving through town at 25 mph with kids in the road...

5) This may be aimed more towards ThumperMCS, and has to do with exhaust mods. The INVIDIA exhaust and, I think the JCS stage I exhaust, delete the second catalitic coverter. How is this possible and still be concider a "cat-back" system, well enough alone - legel?

Thanks,
Jon

PS Slinger688 - I understand about the turttle, but as James T Kurk said Damn-it Scott I need more power

Quick Reply: Drivetrain RMW Tuning Feedback -How's your R56 MINI doing?