Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW REMOTE TUNING FOR R56 testing next week

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 AM
PRIMINISTAR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Untunable??

Well...enjoy you're 53...its a very different animal. I do still miss mine sometimes....but let me tell you, you're going to miss having torque .
I know its a different animal as iv had both but quite frankly whether its got torque or not, taking it back to BMW to be fixed every month is a joke. To me it was like owning a lambo with a chocolate engine. Everything went wrong. The engine i sold it with was its third, it had only covered 7k and it eventually decided to never boost past 9psi when it always used to hit 14-16 so i had no torque anyway and as usual BMW couldn't find the fault.

Just so you know how bad your engine is, BMW have already scapped the BMW/PSA engine for thier next models and have made thier own as they have lost so much money on the cars due to constant warranty work.

My Land Rover garage wouldn't even take mine as part exchange as he said everyone he knows with one has had nothing but probelmswith them including his wife. She bought a Corsa VXR instead and has never looked back, if i hadn't lost so much money on my pile i would have gone VXR but unfortunately they are becoming unsellable due to being the worst built car known to man. People that work for me starting calling it the peugeot/Rover!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PRIMINISTAR
I know its a different animal as iv had both but quite frankly whether its got torque or not, taking it back to BMW to be fixed every month is a joke. To me it was like owning a lambo with a chocolate engine. Everything went wrong. The engine i sold it with was its third, it had only covered 7k and it eventually decided to never boost past 9psi when it always used to hit 14-16 so i had no torque anyway and as usual BMW couldn't find the fault.

Just so you know how bad your engine is, BMW have already scapped the BMW/PSA engine for thier next models and have made thier own as they have lost so much money on the cars due to constant warranty work.

My Land Rover garage wouldn't even take mine as part exchange as he said everyone he knows with one has had nothing but probelmswith them including his wife. She bought a Corsa VXR instead and has never looked back, if i hadn't lost so much money on my pile i would have gone VXR but unfortunately they are becoming unsellable due to being the worst built car known to man. People that work for me starting calling it the peugeot/Rover!
did you break the car in???i mean i assume we are talking about the R56.... but i have 58k miles on my car, zero problems except one issue with the sunroof which they fixed and no problems since. hope ur happy with ur R53

Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 AM
PRIMINISTAR
2nd Gear
Ran it in exactly how BMW told me to. I think it may be something to do with the UK spec cars as they are breaking down and blowing up left right and centre and alot of them are untuned ones. I dont hear a massive amount on here about problems to be fair but lots of people i know with R56 have gone back to R53's due to exessive problems with them and like i said even car garages wont touch them. I loved my R56 but again its like having a lambo with a punto lump.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Just saw in another thread the units should be available to ship Nov 30....Lets hope it stays this way!!! :D

Old 11-09-2009, 06:15 AM
PRIMINISTAR
2nd Gear
Be good if they were. At-least its incentive to keep the cars.

Fingers are crossed for you guys.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
TTT!

Old 11-14-2009, 10:37 AM
RUMM
2nd Gear
Is the date for real? It would be nice to hear it from the horses mouth.

Otherwise this is starting to get ridiculous!

Its no wonder people are onto other cars already. We are onto 4 model years of this car and still no easy tuning solution, its doesn't say much for the after markets capability.

Rumm

Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 AM
PRIMINISTAR
2nd Gear
I totally agree with you. It makes you think they are all to busy to bother. At-least companies like superchips just said they would not be making a tuning solution for the R56. Everyone else says they will then tip toe round the houses about the whole thing. Lol.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:23 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not the tuning company's fault. BMW has made the ECM so difficult to crack that very few companies are able to do it.

Having said that, if you could find an RMW tuning party, then it's a matter of finding one and getting it done.

I drove almost 7 hours to go to one (though there has been some closer) and well worth it.

Mark

Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 PM
RUMM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
It's not the tuning company's fault. BMW has made the ECM so difficult to crack that very few companies are able to do it.
Mark

Who paid you to say that? What a bunch of non-sense! The tunes for late model BMW turbo cars were available lickity split!

Just give us some facts instead of this ongoing fiction we have been all dealing with since 2007. This way people can decide to wait or move onto a platform that gets support. I for one have about another year left to decide if I want to keep this car. Whether there is a tune available will make my decision easy.

Rumm

Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RUMM

Who paid you to say that? What a bunch of non-sense! The tunes for late model BMW turbo cars were available lickity split!

Just give us some facts instead of this ongoing fiction we have been all dealing with since 2007. This way people can decide to wait or move onto a platform that gets support. I for one have about another year left to decide if I want to keep this car. Whether there is a tune available will make my decision easy.

Rumm

Are you stupid? How about this for facts? We're talking about R56's, NOT BMW's... different ECM.

I mean, SERIOUSLY, RMW, BREYTON, AC SCHNITZER, DIMSPORT, LUMMA DESIGN, RIEGER, SUPERCHIPS and BIRDS... all of these companies makes money selling tunes. DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THEY HAVE WANTED TO WAIT 4 YEARS BEFORE PRODUCING A TUNE??????

Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you stupid? How about this for facts? We're talking about R56's, NOT BMW's... different ECM.

I mean, SERIOUSLY, RMW, BREYTON, AC SCHNITZER, DIMSPORT, LUMMA DESIGN, RIEGER, SUPERCHIPS and BIRDS... all of these companies makes money selling tunes. DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THEY HAVE WANTED TO WAIT 4 YEARS BEFORE PRODUCING A TUNE??????

I just get such a chuckle out of RUMM and PRIMINISTAR....I'm not sure what planet they live on.

It's ok Mark, we will continue to enjoy our tuned MINI's while they keep complaining about not having any tuning for the R56

Old 11-15-2009, 09:44 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
It's ok Mark, we will continue to enjoy our tuned MINI's while they keep complaining about not having any tuning for the R56
Amen! I'm enjoying mine immensely.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Rowdy
3rd Gear
I cant wait Now forgive my ignorance.. RMW can do remote tunes via datalogging or I can try and find a tune party or wait for this remote tuner?

I can haz more hp?

Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
Amen! I'm enjoying mine immensely.
I love it, even in Hawaii you were able to get tuned!

Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I just get such a chuckle out of RUMM and PRIMINISTAR....I'm not sure what planet they live on.

I know, I just don't get it. I realize the pickings are slim as far as who can do the work but RMW has a tune.... Use it.

All the companies I listed make their living selling tunes. If the ECM was that easy to crack, I assure you it wouldn't have taken 4 years.

Mark

PS. Even Alta has been promising a new unit for over a year now and don't have it right yet. After the fiasco with the unichip, you can pretty well bet that Alta won't release another unit without it being right.... thus the reason why nothing has come out.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 AM
RUMM
2nd Gear
Then how is it a relative nobody like RMW, sorry no offense meant, can do it but the big boys can't. Sounds to me more like there is not enough demand to warrant the work which brings me back to the same problem, no wonder people are moving to other platforms.

So RMW has a tune, I'm not driving to kingdom come to get it. What is this the birth of tuning, next your going to tell me I have to mail my computer in to have a chip soldered onto the board. This whole process has been pathetically primitive. I'm not knocking RMW as I'm pleased by what I have read. But I want a flash and self tune ability like an Accessport, now thats a tuning system!!!!

Rumm

Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
^^Thats what hes been working on. Just wait in line and twiddle the thumbs while you wait, like me.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 AM
RUMM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gilboyto
^^Thats what hes been working on. Just wait in line and twiddle the thumbs while you wait, like me.
Been twiddling my thumbs since the fall of 2007, my hands are getting tired!

I would just prefer to have honest answers even if it means delays. Answers with real facts as to the delay and what the update schedule looks like. I would also like to know what the product will ultimately offer as far as options and tune ability.

Rumm

Old 11-16-2009, 09:54 AM
skippydog
3rd Gear
I am also looking for a self tuning solution. This is the first car that I have not been able to do my own tune on. It makes a tear come to my eye just thinking about it.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
I just remember seeing another thread recently...dont know where it went...but I remember seeing that the units would be available to ship Nov 30. I hope this is still the case

Old 11-17-2009, 04:52 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RUMM
Then how is it a relative nobody like RMW, sorry no offense meant, can do it but the big boys can't. Sounds to me more like there is not enough demand to warrant the work which brings me back to the same problem, no wonder people are moving to other platforms.

So RMW has a tune, I'm not driving to kingdom come to get it. What is this the birth of tuning, next your going to tell me I have to mail my computer in to have a chip soldered onto the board. This whole process has been pathetically primitive. I'm not knocking RMW as I'm pleased by what I have read. But I want a flash and self tune ability like an Accessport, now thats a tuning system!!!!

Rumm
First, I'd hardly call RMW a relative nobody.

Second, I don't know if RMW actually figured out how to do the tune or someone else did. It's an irrevalent point, the bottom line is they're the first to offer a tune.

Third, I'm sure how much "demand" there is for it but obviously with the car being in it's 4th model year, there must be some demand.

Fourth, it seems perhaps you should have done some homework about what is available before bitching that nothing is available. You bought the car and now find out that the choices are limited.... all I can say is due diligence.

Fifth, You don't have to "kingdom" to get it. RMW goes all over the country and now with remote tuning almost available, tuning will be available for you non enthusiasts. (I drove almost 7 hours to get a tune and the weekend before I drove 8 hours just to get an exhaust... point is, I guess it's how bad you want something)

Sixth, better late than ever, go get yourself an RMW tune, you'll be glad you did.

Mark

Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I know what you mean. I have a feeling someday it may be me when I want the RMW tune really friggin' bad. Good thing my fiancee likes road trips. Coilovers first though LOL!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
I love the internets argument

But seriously, I must have it soon!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Elessar
2nd Gear
So any news?

First, I'd hardly call RMW a relative nobody.

Fifth, You don't have to "kingdom" to get it. RMW goes all over the country and now with remote tuning almost available, tuning will be available for you non enthusiasts. (I drove almost 7 hours to get a tune and the weekend before I drove 8 hours just to get an exhaust... point is, I guess it's how bad you want something)

Mark
So any news? Is the remote tune really happening? The last thing I heard it was a legal problem???

Quick Reply: Drivetrain RMW REMOTE TUNING FOR R56 testing next week