Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ECU flash, GIAC or JCW?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:46 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see what is so hard to understand about this. It's a computer.

In your PC, if it gets hot, the fans will automatically spin faster to cool it down. In your car, if you put in regular gas, it automatically de-tunes the engine to decrease knock. This is a very simple process. Computers can do amazing things.

There are all kinds of sensors in the car. The ECU knows how much air is coming in, going out, etc. If it can't do anything about it, why even have the sensors? They are obviously there to ensure proper operation of the vehicle. The ECU will take action based on what the sensors tell it. There is absolutely no reason why it couldn't see that there is more air coming in, and adapt it's behavior to compensate. No reason whatsoever. Graphing calculators can do more complicated calculations than "Hmm, there is this much air coming in, therefore, there needs to be this much going out." It wouldn't be that revolutionary. The ECU doesn't know that you installed an aftermarket intake or whatever, it just know that more air is coming in. For all it knows, that is normal. Everyone has heard of factory freaks with more horspower that average. If the ECU couldn't change anything, These cars would probably have some issues.

Now, that being said, whether or not this particular car actually does it, is up for debate in my opinion. But, it wouldn't be a surprise.

Keep in mind, these guys aren't saying this is a replacement for a dyno tune or a whatever tune; they are merely saying that the ECU will do a little bit on its own, and, at least for now, that is enough for them.

The reason people spend all their time and effort trying to tune cars, when the ECU can do some itself, is the same reason you bought a Cooper S instead of a 911 Turbo. One does the job good enough for you, and is affordable to you. The other is clearly better, but you didn't want to accept the tradeoffs in order to have it. The 911 is better, but it is much more expensive, the gas mileage is worse, I'm sure insurance would have been higher, etc. But, some people want that, and are willing to accept those tradeoffs.

Custom tune are better, but more expensive, that's all there is to it.

Once again, I se no reason why, if computers got us to the moon back when, and have done nothing but improve exponentially since then, that they can't do such a simple thing as adapt to increased airflow.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 AM
KrautHammer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Now, that being said, whether or not this particular car actually does it, is up for debate in my opinion. But, it wouldn't be a surprise.
Good point.

My experience with a race car of another brand is that the OEM has that ECU programmed to maintain or even reduce performance whenever a departure from the programmed values is sensed. As a result you add cold air and you loose performance while increasing fuel consumption. Not surprisingly that software has not been cracked by the aftermarket.

I will be avoiding pitfalls by going the JCW route which at this point appears to be the only reasonable option for my ECU.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KrautHammer
Good point.

My experience with a race car of another brand is that the OEM has that ECU programmed to maintain or even reduce performance whenever a departure from the programmed values is sensed. As a result you add cold air and you loose performance while increasing fuel consumption. Not surprisingly that software has not been cracked by the aftermarket.

I will be avoiding pitfalls by going the JCW route which at this point appears to be the only reasonable option for my ECU.
No need to continue beating this dead horse about tuning. You will not be disappointed.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 AM
KrautHammer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scottab36
No need to continue beating this dead horse about tuning. You will not be disappointed.
Thank you. Your contribution was essential in my decision making.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 AM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico No I dont need a Green Card
Originally Posted by E36 M3
Completely OT, but what is that picture in your sig. My eyes are terrible. It looks like an awesome Mini dealership or some sort.
What is OT, I feel goofy but I am not sure, is it Off Topic?
Yes my sig is a photo of Sandia MINI where I am a MA. The Dealership is very nice! I am proud to call this my work home.

I have a GREAT view of the Sandia Mtns as well. So the view looking out is just as nice!

If you want to see more photos go look at this site.
http://www.jonandersonarchitect.com/projects.php

Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 AM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
I agree Dyno Tuning is cool, and it pulls the most performance out of your car!!
This is a dead horse at this point, I am sorry I am done! HaHaHa

Last edited by MiniFaron; 12-30-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Needed to add That I am beating a dead horse! Sorry!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 AM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
responses to a few comments in this thread

i havent seen comments anywhere on NAM from one person who actually has the GIAC tune outside of Helix... If someone that reads this has it, speak up and tell us how you feel about it! I certainly wouldn't buy one without a lot of unbiased third party positive endorsement.

Mini-Madness sells their version of the tune by Evotech. It's 'canned' as you say but if you can get to a local Evotech dyno-tuner it can be fully tweaked to your car. My BMW/MINI dealership here does not do software flashes unless there is a problem specifically resolved by one. I know Mini Madness committed to a pay-once policy but you would have to send the ECU back for reflash if you ever found yourself in that situation.

The best deal on the JCW tune is about twice as much as the others because you have to buy it as a bundle with the intake and exhaust. Not bad if you are looking for the whole package, but pretty painful if you only want the tune. I'll offer to buy the intake off of you if you don't want it

Old 12-31-2008, 06:16 AM
KrautHammer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
iThe best deal on the JCW tune is about twice as much as the others because you have to buy it as a bundle with the intake and exhaust. Not bad if you are looking for the whole package, but pretty painful if you only want the tune. I'll offer to buy the intake off of you if you don't want it
The JCW makes sense at this time particularly in view of any future add ons that Mini may come up with and which will integrate with the base set up. As such I will have it installed in its complete form and I am confident that it will serve me well.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
Forgive me for not reading every single post there, but doesn't someone have the new MINI Madness/EVOTech tune for their R56 and if so, what did you get. Feel free to PM me on this one or post for everyone to see, thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 PM
rickdm
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniFaron
What is OT, I feel goofy but I am not sure, is it Off Topic?
Yes my sig is a photo of Sandia MINI where I am a MA. The Dealership is very nice! I am proud to call this my work home.

I have a GREAT view of the Sandia Mtns as well. So the view looking out is just as nice!

If you want to see more photos go look at this site.
http://www.jonandersonarchitect.com/projects.php
That is one awesome looking dealership! I would pay extra to buy a car in that place. Must be pretty cool to work there.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
MiniFaron
3rd Gear
Well I will not charge you extra, but would love to sell you a MINI. Come and see me any time! The dealership is even better in person!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Donbi
Neutral
How much does the dealer charges for flashing the ecu. (Stock MCS to JCW)

Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 PM
richi0207
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After 10 years of having my car with a custom-tuned unichip, they will still be waiting for that "real tune" everyones sweating

Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
I am sure the amazing ECU is capable of tuning itself to make more power dependent on what mods you put on it, but it is quite more complex than that.

If the stock ECU senses a significant amount of extra power, it will cut timing and boost to preserve the integrity of the engine. It is protecting the motor, not restricting it because it is incapable of adapting.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:01 PM
58driver
2nd Gear
I've looked at this thread off and on and it cracks me up. There is a big difference between a "tune" and the ECU adapting. The ECU will adapt. There is no doubt of that. It will not however give you more aggressive timing or boost like an ECU tune will. The ECU will adjust short and long term fuel trim to compensate for the increase in air from boost tubes, intakes, etc. That's about the extent of it. It's adaptability is designed for changes in temperature and altitude. You can take a road trip and the car adapts to the cool sea level air in Seattle out to Pikes Peak on a hot summer day. It's not that the car is giving itself a performance tune, it's just making adjustments to maintain emissions and engine performance ( the drivability and efficiency type, not race type ). It can only do this up to a point. A bigger turbo or something else extreme will obviously be beyond the capability to adapt.

But what do I know, I'm just ASE certified and trained through GM and Ford. Because I'm sure Mini created some primitive fuel system that is less effective than Detroit ( and what is required for emissions requirements by the feds ).

I couldn't help but get my kicks in on this dead horse. I need a hobby.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
zeedrix
Neutral
Question...your torque numbers?

scottab... what do you have in your mini to get those torque numbers?? I'm looking at options but i live in calif. smog limits us here...
If you improve the air flow by adding a larger intercooler and more efficient piping then the ECU will see this change and adjust boost fuel and timing accordingly.

If your reduce the IA temperature by adding a larger intercooler the ECU will see the denser and cooler air and adjust fuel, boost and timing accordingly.

By changing the exhaust you allow exhaust air to flow more efficiently from the engine. The ECU will see this and adjust fuel, timing and boost accordingly.

Even the standard R56 ECU programming will do this but the JCW flash has a wider band for fuel and boost, etc.. to work with.

The ECU is constantly adjusting the parameters based on the information it receives from the various sensor it monitors to give you the best possible performance/efficiency.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
how difficult is it to install the jcw ecu/flash? -is it just as simple as plugging into your obd port? i ask because you can get the jcw stage 1 kit (exhaust, intake and ECU) for $1600. i only want the jcw flash ..and would sell the rest (if it's something i could install myself).

Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GIAC, to my knowledge, only covers 07 model year... before the ecu changed... so i don't think that's an option...

also i thought that MINI Madness sells a tuning solution from EVOTech...

Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
oh btw, the JCW tune is done via the CD port... it takes a while but it works.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
oh btw, the JCW tune is done via the CD port... it takes a while but it works.
is this something the user can do themselves? -or do you have to have the dealer do the install?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 AM
dunphyj
4th Gear
u can do it yourself... be faster for a dealer to do it cuz there's a strange kinda combo of hitting turnsignals in a certain order and putting accessories on and off and.... i donno, the parts guy at my dealership made it sound mad complicated, but i always hold the idea if someone else can do it, why can't i! until it comes to touching my car's head and valve train... i'm scared to do that without seeing someone else do it first.