Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain YoYo-like symptoms, but with a twist...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great instructions!

Thanks.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 PM
detroitchilimcs
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ugh... more of the same for me I think, with a little twist however... let me give a run down...

big flat spot in power... feels like im lifting off the gas and feathering the throttle between 3k-3500k only under half throttle or so.... at WOT it does not seem to be as big of an issue, but in low rpms i need to downshift like mad to go anywhere, and it stumbles in 6th on the highway when cruising as well as cruising around town.. the BPV has been replaced with a DT one, I have a mechanical boost gauge, boost is reading as it should, i think..

i just replaced the coil, plug wires, and plugs when it started happening, to no avail, it is still happening, and driving me crazy. Cant tell what fault codes its throwing if any, i dont have a scan gauge. I am running a megan header with test pipe and straight back exhaust with a borla flow through...

its an 02mcs 6 speed with 106k on the clock, and this issue just started within the last 1k miles.... map sensor? i plan on putting the stock manifold and cat back on soon anyways... but ive had them on for a WHILE and never had an issue like this...

sorry for the rambling.. im somewhat out of ideas and its driving me crazzzzy...

help? please?

also..

when cruising car runs a vacuum or a 0, like it should. I get instant boost with the DT BPV, but its not making a difference with the hesitation or stumbling... 10psi instantly when under hard accel, then climbs quickly to 16-17psi before redline at WOT

AND

lately, about the same time i started to have issues, the exhaust has started to crack and pop ALOT under decel, like ALOT ALOT, it always did it sometimes when it was cold, but now its doing it alot all the time..(it also does it when shifting under wot around redline).. and it started doing this at the same time as my other issue... just had the muffler replaced as well because i thought the magnaflow i had on was toast... and it probably was...

again sorry for the jumbled poorly organized post, its late, im tired and im very frustrated with this problem, its ruining my motoring experience!

Thanks for the help in advance

Last edited by detroitchilimcs; 10-17-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:12 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you have a different issue. With that many miles on the clock, and considering what you've already changed, things I'd look at include:
Read codes (ideally with a tool that "understands" MINI/BMW - not generic OBD)
compression/leakdown test
injector cleaning

Old 10-18-2009, 05:13 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh... and my issue has returned... though I'm still on the OEM header and have changed NOTHING since it was running right... grrrrr.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 AM
detroitchilimcs
1st Gear
Ive cleaned and inspected/tested the injectors and all appear to be in good shape after a couple cleanings...

I also recently had the supercharger replaced, all associated gaskets and fittings, a new alternator, a new serpentine belt...

under closer inspection this morning i noticed that when it was idling to warm up i could smell the distinct smell of exhaust gasses from under the hood, leading me to believe that there is a leak or crack at or around the mainifold... however this may not be the root of the problems... ugh

Old 10-18-2009, 03:06 PM
RatBlast
2nd Gear
we may not all have the same problems , but i fought with my car since i first did my 15% sc pulley. i have done many mods through the last 2 years and always felt like i had the same kind of problems as the ones listed here. i also replaced my t-map sensor after i found it had error codes on the dyno. never had any error codes when deriving on the street. my main worry was ping. i could never stop my car from having ping when i step on the gas hard. i use to run a giac tune with 380cc injectors . i went to the dyno and had jan do a remote tune . the car still had ping after jan was done with the tune. so i went out and bought a new stock coil pack. the car is 100% now.
it looks like my car had a bad coil since the day i bought it.
i am waiting for my next mod before i go back to a dyno , but the car runs so much better . jan figures i was down close to 30 horse power when we did my tune . i am positive if i went back right now before doing a new mod , the numbers would be up to where they should be.