Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain lightweight flywheel on CVT

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:24 AM
Electrc109
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that a flywheel is available for both the MC and MCS, but I wonder if the MC flywheel works even with a CVT. The only cars I have worked on that had any relation to the tranny + engine has been a manual. Anyone out there know if an aftermarket flywheel is applicable?

Old 09-16-2003, 07:26 AM
C4
Banned
>>I know that a flywheel is available for both the MC and MCS, but I wonder if the MC flywheel works even with a CVT. The only cars I have worked on that had any relation to the tranny + engine has been a manual. Anyone out there know if an aftermarket flywheel is applicable?

I don't think a CVT transmission has a flywheel similar to that of a manual. Do you understand the way the CVT is designed? Just asking...

Old 09-16-2003, 07:27 AM
Electrc109
3rd Gear
I understand the concept, but I don't know how its built.
Which is why I am asking.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:35 AM
C4
Banned
This is a link to the ZF AG site, maker of the VT1 CVT transmission for the MINI Cooper:

http://www.zf.com/defaultz.asp

Old 09-16-2003, 07:56 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like any automatic, the CVT uses a torque converter in place of a clutch/flywheel assembly. This torque converter is has to have a certain 'minimum' mass because if it's construction. The equivalent of a light flywheel in an automatic is a small diameter high-stall speed converter. I know of nothing like this for any CVT, much less the MINI.

High-stall converters on street cars are not always a practical solution for performance, even with the lockup converter clutch (high performance converters usually omit the lockup feature). Hearing a car in traffic with a high-stall converter sounds like someone racing the engine and riding the clutch (after all, you want the same effect for acceleration). Problems with this are dismal fuel economy and hellacious heat buildup in the transmission. The CVT is not generally able to handle such high amounts of torque for long before something gives. But, ask any hotrodder... busted parts are a price for playing the game.

In short, there is no 'flywheel', to simply add to lighten the rotating mass to make your engine more responsive. It's possible, but not likely available.

'03 MCS, Dk Silver, 17" R85s, NAV, DSC (often turned off!), Packs #1 and #3, Rally lights, etc, etc. Fulton, MD. FRS 7-21
Let's Cooperate

Old 09-16-2003, 11:05 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
So far all of the upgrade lightweight flywheels and clutches are for manual transmissions.
Due to labor costs some people drop in a lightweight flywheel when installing a limited slip differential like the Quaife. Lightweight flywheels can be noisier, less durable, and costly (parts and installation).

Old 09-16-2003, 05:34 PM
Electrc109
3rd Gear
well, i want quicker throttle response from a stop. I know that the best way to get something moving is to have less rolling weight (at least thats what i think its called). Things like lighter wheels, a lightened flywheel, etc. will allow for this.

My overall goal is to improve 0-20 acceleration. Things like a header, intake, better yet--nitrous will take care of that issue. I figure if i work on minimizing the amount of work my stock engine has to do, I won't loose fuel mileage and still get what I want. Nitrous is an option to handle this situation, but I am not sure about the strength of the engine components nor am I sure if the current cooling system would be sufficient. Maybe if I had a nitrous system (not too big) and a water injection system also? geez, I think I'm getting carried away.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:47 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
Is the torque converter the reason the CVT gets so loud at 4-5 RPMS? I noticed the manual MC doesnt get as loud. Also I agree the acceleration off the line in the CVT sux. It feels like it has to catch up with how much you depressed the gas pedal. You can floor it and go past the "click point" on the CVT but then it bucks and then really starts moving. Its a wierd tranny for sure. I almost wish it was a normal automatic.