Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Must-Have Mods: R56

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:56 PM
samroberto
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryephile - you mentioned the PSRS / madness polyeurethane bushings...

Is it one or the other ?? Or can the bushings go with the PSRS ?
I've heard some really good things about the PSRS, albeit the beastly install, but from what I've heard the "r53 feel" comes back.. and of course, I for one would not want MORE NVH ... thus popped into my head the madness PE bushings..
Probably won't go with too much suspension modding, my normal-suspension is very nicely damped, I love the ride quality, but the turning could be better.
-Alta Rear Swaybar.. First on my susp. list !!
-PSRS ? Bushings ???

Anyone- some advice please !!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by samroberto

I've heard some really good things about the PSRS, albeit the beastly install, but from what I've heard the "r53 feel" comes back.. and of course, I for one would not want MORE NVH ... thus popped into my head the madness PE bushings..
Probably won't go with too much suspension modding, my normal-suspension is very nicely damped, I love the ride quality, but the turning could be better.
-Alta Rear Swaybar.. First on my susp. list !!
-PSRS ? Bushings ???

do you have any more pics of your car? cant really tell from your sig pic but the mod list looks good!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
double post sorry.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 PM
melman8r
2nd Gear

It is one or the other... I think I'll do both, just going to buy an extra set of wishbone brackets. That way, I can test both set-ups and make my decision after using each for a short time period.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably turbo back exhaust, intake, and ecu tune; all from ALTA of course......then suspension stuff.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Here are all your front control arm bushing options to date:

1.) ALTA PSRS. Solid spherical bearing in an offset mount to add caster and/or anti-dive.

2.) Madness polyurethane. A three piece "solid" polyurethane replacement bushing that is significantly firmer than the floppy stock rubber bushing.

3.) Powerflex polyurethane. Exactly the same as the Madness bushing but has purple died poly instead of red.

All three replace the stock front control arm bushing in the same way. None of them significantly add NVH to the car, however the PSRS will be more race oriented and will have fractionally more precision than the poly at the expense of a whiff more NVH. The poly bushings will have stock-esque NVH.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
TerryD
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BrandonT
Risk.

Well, that and to define their choice of compromise. I'm an experienced track nut, licensed NASA TT'er. As I progressed and dialed in my car (GTI, now CRX) it became less and less streetable. There is no compromising between ultimate track performance and street ability. What works for one doesn't work for the other. You can kid yourself into thinking it will (I did for a while), but it won't. A true 'track' setup will drive you nuts on the street. And a reasonable set up for street will get clobbered at the track. So I think a statement about intentions means everything. If you are going to TRY to do both be prepared to lose somewhere.

Of course, some idea of local roads also helps. Anyone living above the frostbelt and eligible to be president (ahem) is going to need some sidewall and compliance.
Risk? I do HPDE track days and find them to be as close to risk free as you can be, driving fast. Risk,to me, is fast on back roads with blind corners, deer, cyclist (which I am), on coming traffic and very unforgiving shoulders to slide on. On the other hand, if you are talking about wheel to wheel, then I see the obvious risk.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 AM
samroberto
3rd Gear
so will adding some PE bushings bring the r56 closer to a r53 feel ? .. In terms of handling- add a swaybar, MAYBE springs (cautious about the H in NVH..) and PE bushings?

Old 07-19-2008, 05:27 AM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Here are all your front control arm bushing options to date:

1.) ALTA PSRS. Solid spherical bearing in an offset mount to add caster and/or anti-dive.

2.) Madness polyurethane. A three piece "solid" polyurethane replacement bushing that is significantly firmer than the floppy stock rubber bushing.

3.) Powerflex polyurethane. Exactly the same as the Madness bushing but has purple died poly instead of red.

All three replace the stock front control arm bushing in the same way. None of them significantly add NVH to the car, however the PSRS will be more race oriented and will have fractionally more precision than the poly at the expense of a whiff more NVH. The poly bushings will have stock-esque NVH.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
It sounds like the Madness or Powerflex poly are the way to go unless you are race prepping your car, correct?

Old 07-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Kirkland
2nd Gear
Alta PSRS will add nothing vibration-wise and transforms the steering.