Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Custom 3inch Magnaflow Catback

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 PM
MCS2007
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peter314
good to hear, I went by my shop today to ask about getting it done didn't really give me a price though.

Also when asked about the secondary cat delete he kinda freaked lol but then told me he could have it taken care of.

2007, did you keep your second cat and res though? this is kinda of important to me, I know the sound will change drastically with either of these left in place or removed.
No res but they cut my exhaust right at the second cat.. one being right by the turbo.. in ohio its illegal to have them cut out without replacing it with a"performance" cat

Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS2007
No res but they cut my exhaust right at the second cat.. one being right by the turbo.. in ohio its illegal to have them cut out without replacing it with a"performance" cat
Ah ok, it seems to be like that everywhere then, I went yesterday and he said he could do it "But it never happened here..." Hey if a JCW doesn't need a second one neither do we!

what I am looking to do is retain the OEM system in the once piece in case it needs to go back on. It is one piece from the DP back connected with one V-Band clamp. I want to have a system made with a 2.25" to 3" adapter that connects to the V-band the same way as OEM

Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 AM
MCS2007
2nd Gear
Ah ok, it seems to be like that everywhere then, I went yesterday and he said he could do it "But it never happened here..." Hey if a JCW doesn't need a second one neither do we!

what I am looking to do is retain the OEM system in the once piece in case it needs to go back on. It is one piece from the DP back connected with one V-Band clamp. I want to have a system made with a 2.25" to 3" adapter that connects to the V-band the same way as OEM
Ill post a picture of how they took my stock exhaust off it would be very easy to put back on.. on weld and it would be set

Old 10-01-2011, 10:35 AM
MCS2007
2nd Gear
Old 10-01-2011, 06:11 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Interesting, so if I do a downpipe back system with the second cat delete it should be a pretty loud system. From your video I thought it had no 2nd cat.
Oh well still want it lol.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:49 PM
MCS2007
2nd Gear
Interesting, so if I do a downpipe back system with the second cat delete it should be a pretty loud system. From your video I thought it had no 2nd cat.
Oh well still want it lol.
Honestly man I would keep the second cat.. it sounds really good and your not "illegal" lol but I'm posting a video Monday with an intake and using a video camera

Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 AM
accesstd
1st Gear
Just saw this thread get fired back up. I did this setup about 5 months ago. Except I went with the 2.5" setup instead of the 3". I basically replaced everything from the downpipe back. So, what that translates to is that I have the factory dp and 1st cat, but removed EVERYTHING else. From the dp back is just straight pipe and then the magnaflow muffler. 2'5" in/ dual 3.5" out. During idle the car sounds awesome. It has a really nice resonated rumble. When you jump on the throttle, it sounds great! My only con with the setup, especially with having for several months, is the drone. When you between 3000 - 4000 rpm on the freeway or cruising in a lower gear in that rpm band, the droning is loud. I'm not going to lie. It is loud. It's fine if i on the freeway and coasting in the lower rpm range. But if i'm doing a gradual acceleration and get in that 3k-4k range, get the earplugs out. Just wanted to pass the info along. The piping used on my setup is your standard aluminized steel exhaust pipe. I don't know if it really makes a difference over stainless steel or not, but just be forewarned.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 AM
AXO
5th Gear
I am running a custom Magnaflow 3" exhaust system from the down pipe back. I removed the second cat and resonator. I love the sound. It is very agressive. The down fall is highway drone, that I can live with. My muffler is a Magnaflow 3" inlet with two 3" outlets. I have been running for a little over 6 months now and I have grown to like it even more.

P.S. I also used 3" aluminum piping. Not much salt on the roads here in Florida in the winter.

Last edited by AXO; 10-03-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Originally Posted by accesstd
Just saw this thread get fired back up. I did this setup about 5 months ago. Except I went with the 2.5" setup instead of the 3". I basically replaced everything from the downpipe back. So, what that translates to is that I have the factory dp and 1st cat, but removed EVERYTHING else. From the dp back is just straight pipe and then the magnaflow muffler. 2'5" in/ dual 3.5" out. During idle the car sounds awesome. It has a really nice resonated rumble. When you jump on the throttle, it sounds great! My only con with the setup, especially with having for several months, is the drone. When you between 3000 - 4000 rpm on the freeway or cruising in a lower gear in that rpm band, the droning is loud. I'm not going to lie. It is loud. It's fine if i on the freeway and coasting in the lower rpm range. But if i'm doing a gradual acceleration and get in that 3k-4k range, get the earplugs out. Just wanted to pass the info along. The piping used on my setup is your standard aluminized steel exhaust pipe. I don't know if it really makes a difference over stainless steel or not, but just be forewarned.
Originally Posted by AXO
I am running a custom Magnaflow 3" exhaust system from the down pipe back. I removed the second cat and resonator. I love the sound. It is very agressive. The down fall is highway drone, that I can live with. My muffler is a Magnaflow 3" inlet with two 3" outlets. I have been running for a little over 6 months now and I have grown to like it even more.

P.S. I also used 3" aluminum piping. Not much salt on the roads here in Florida in the winter.

Hey thanks for the input guys, I am getting ready to do this, I have a friend through a friend who can make it for me.

I think I am going to go for the 3" with no cat or res, Friend said that it's easier to put in a res than take one out.

Not to mention I don't ever really find my RPM's hanging around 3000 to 4000 while on the highway, usually below 3000 for cruising.

Do either of you two think that you could post a video for the sound and volume of your individual systems?

Also AXO, it looks like your system is a straight pipe, losing all of the factory bends.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 AM
AXO
5th Gear
There is one slight bend right before the muffler. This is a super easy install and shouldn't take an experienced exhaust installer more then an hour to install.

I was torn between having my exhaust tips protruding or flush. I opted to have them protruding enough to see the Magnaflow inscription on the top of the tips. The tips will heat up, so be careful they will burn you as I have found out.

Let us know what you think about this mod after having it done.

Honestly posting a video of the sound will do no justice as to how it actually sounds. It sounds Awesome!

P.S. I attached my system just past the first exhaust hanger, which made alignment and exhaust height a no Brainer.......

Old 10-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
i also did this mod. if you check out my pics link in my sig youll get tons of pics and videos of it. honestly this system is amazing. i love to hear my car when i drive. if there was 10 times more drone i would still love this system. i would actually like it to be a tad more aggressive but im gonna have to get a catless dp for that. booo