Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Anyone remove the resonator box?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:04 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Cooper owners remove the resonator box yet? Been trying to get it out to make more room for CAI tubing and such...

Old 07-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
I would swear that I've seen posts claiming that people had removed it. How would it be done? Isn't it sort of integrated into the snorkel tubing?

Old 07-21-2003, 08:08 PM
dandp
6th Gear
There appears to be a rubber nipple covering a stud or screw which then goes through a hole keeping the entire assembly slid in place. I suspect it's not ever supposed to be removed...

Old 07-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Flash
2nd Gear
Where is this resonator box? I took a look at the piece that connects the intake at the grill to the bottom of the filter box and there is nothing in it. Just a tube to connect the two. Is this the resonator of wich you speak?

Old 07-21-2003, 08:31 PM
dandp
6th Gear
If you remove the stock airbox, it is a long plastic box which goes all the way down (against the radiator) A cloth tube connects to the front air scoop.

Old 07-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>Any Cooper owners remove the resonator box yet? Been trying to get it out to make more room for CAI tubing and such...

Are you talking about this piece:

I fought with this for close to an hour. Mini Mania warned that it was difficult to get out, and they didn't lie. I finally took a 1X2 (thanks to a ReMax sign) and slid it down between the resonator box and the fender well to act as a shim, and yanked up on the box with all my might: this finally popped free the "barb" that was holding it in place in the fender well. I then stepped out of my garage, wound up and threw it as far as I could.

(Actually, I just stuck it in a box along with all the other original parts.)

I couldn't believe the difference taking away this power-robbing piece of...engineering... made to a Cooper:
Changed intake on a Cooper

Old 07-22-2003, 05:47 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Nuvolari - what intake did you install? And did you hook it up directly to the center intake "scoop"? I have bypassed the resonator box - and that is indeed the piece of convoluted plastic you show there. Without that, it could solve a lot of space issue.

THanks for the tip!

Old 07-22-2003, 05:48 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Whoops - read your post again, saw the intake purchased...my bad.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>Whoops - read your post again, saw the intake purchased...my bad.

I am quite happy with the intake I bought but I think
any aftermarket intake will make a world of difference.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:56 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
One of the few that has gotten it. I tried on Dandp's Car, but short of using force that would possibally harm his car, I did not get it out. Glad to see that it's possigle, Hope that some people can benefit from this

Old 07-22-2003, 07:45 PM
bob421
1st Gear
>>One of the few that has gotten it. I tried on Dandp's Car, but short of using force that would possibally harm his car, I did not get it out. Glad to see that it's possigle, Hope that some people can benefit from this

If you don't remove this box can the Twister intake still be connected directly to the front scoop?

Old 07-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Anyone feel like Photoshop'ing some pix to show us how on earth this would be done?

Old 07-22-2003, 08:04 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>>>One of the few that has gotten it. I tried on Dandp's Car, but short of using force that would possibally harm his car, I did not get it out. Glad to see that it's possigle, Hope that some people can benefit from this
>>
>>If you don't remove this box can the Twister intake still be connected directly to the front scoop?

I think so. The intake scoop connects to the box by a flexible bit of hose. The scoop and hose can be removed seperately. You can remove the airbox also, with a bit of twisting and forcing, and I assume it needs to be removed to make room for the Twister canister. In fact, the airbox has to be removed first before you can get at the "resonator" box. I don't see why you couldn't just leave the resonator just hanging there if you didn't feel comfortable removing it.

I wish now I had taken a few photos as I went along. It isn't really that big of a job getting the intake scoop and airbox off. Cut a few wire ties and unscrew the two screws holding the airbox lid on. Remove the two bolts holding the airbox itself in place. The only ugly part is getting the resonator off. Putting the 1X2 vertically down between the resonator and the fender well and lifting on the "box" portion levers it out of the fender well. You have to really heave, and there is a mighty craaack! when the tube pops free, but then it lifts right out.

Old 07-22-2003, 08:15 PM
dandp
6th Gear
So.....does that mighty crack mean that the piece holding the resonator in breaks?

Yes, the Green Twister can be installed with the resonator box in. But I want it OUT of there. More space for hoses...

Old 07-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>So.....does that mighty crack mean that the piece holding the resonator in breaks?
>>
>>Yes, the Green Twister can be installed with the resonator box in. But I want it OUT of there. More space for hoses...

No, it doesn't break. There is just a "barb" (Mini Mania's word) on the pipe going into the wheel well that locks the pipe in place. The noise was just the barb popping free of the well. That is some tough plastic. I tried just sawing the tube off at first but there just wasn't room to get a blade in there with enough room to cut. Maybe if I was the Count of Monte Cristo and was willing to spend a couple of weeks I could have cut my way to freedom but I opted for the "pry the &$%##-er off" method of removal.

Old 07-22-2003, 08:35 PM
dandp
6th Gear
The barb has a rubber protector over it, correct? I was thinking of using a Sawzall and just ripping it to shreds.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:16 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>The barb has a rubber protector over it, correct? I was thinking of using a Sawzall and just ripping it to shreds.

I dragged the intake out of its box. The pipe portion that is going into the wheel well is at the bottom left.

The next picture is a closeup of that bit of pipe. The little nub on the upper edge is the barb I was talking about. I think the pipe has to be deformed to let this barb pop free of the female receptacle that the pipe fits into.

Hope this is a little clearer.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:49 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
One last picture, with the actual hi-tech 1X2 pointy stick I used as a wedge in the position I had it before curling my fingers around the box and heaving:

Old 07-23-2003, 06:23 AM
Flash
2nd Gear
I'm sure that there's a reason for this bit, does anyone know for sure just what?

Old 07-23-2003, 06:31 AM
dandp
6th Gear
The resonator is designed to quiet the air intake/bonnet noise inside the cabin. I'm pretty sure this is the function.

Nuvolari, thanks for your pics. There is actually a rubber piece that seems to hold this thing in place towards the bottom, at least on my Cooper. That's what I thought you meant.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
Dandp said:
>>The resonator is designed to quiet the air intake/bonnet noise inside the cabin. I'm pretty sure this is the function.

Besides robbing the engine of power it also is quite effective in quieting the intake noise. Mine is noticeably louder now, but I'll take the noise over the stalling I was experiencing before the mod.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:33 AM
jivanivan
4th Gear
I took it out fairly easily yesterday. One word "CLUB". I found a club sitting around and just inserted it between the resonator and the tubing that is pretty much stuck and wedged it out. I afew good tugs and it's off. there are 2 things holding them together from looking at the piece. I will post pictures of them later. Hjope this helps.

Old 07-26-2003, 07:41 AM
HARMINI
5th Gear
>>I took it out fairly easily yesterday. One word "CLUB". I found a club sitting around and just inserted it between the resonator and the tubing that is pretty much stuck and wedged it out. I afew good tugs and it's off. there are 2 things holding them together from looking at the piece. I will post pictures of them later. Hjope this helps.

Club, as in golf? as in the anti-car-theft devise? What kind of club did you use?

Old 07-26-2003, 09:27 AM
jivanivan
4th Gear
The car theft device, gotta run.

Old 07-30-2003, 05:52 PM
emobob
2nd Gear
Alright, so I come home from my presenting my senior design project...and throw back some 'relaxation' brews, and then I get it in my head that, that stupid little peice of plastic is coming the hell out of my car.

So I tug and a I pull and a bend and I sweat. Doesnt budge.

How the heck did you guys do this? Must require some finess cause I'm givin all she gots as far as power goes.

I'm now bleeding and covered in mosquito bites , any help would be really appreciated...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Anyone remove the resonator box?