Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW (Jan) Tune - Best mod by far

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:48 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Jan
You can count me in at Helix but my car is again up on jack stands until spring. I hope you will be making another trip out then.
Steve

Originally Posted by jeffc
Hey Jan when are you headed back to Helix?

Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
Jan
You can count me in at Helix but my car is again up on jack stands until spring. I hope you will be making another trip out then.
Steve

Steve,

Helix is one of our installers so we plan to come back often to help out the community. This will go for all of our installers as we pride ourself on customer service. Helix is a great shop for all of those in the NY/DC and Philly areas or someone wanting to motor!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimz68
There is a shop here in the Bay Area that has a dyno and is MINI friendly.
Originally Posted by tazio
I think Edge Motorsport in Dublin has a dyno and they work on Minis.

I might be down for a tune if we can get Jan up here.

I'm in.

Hey, how is Edge for MINI stuff? Have you guys had a lot of experience with them? I was wondering if there might be a shop in the Bay Area that really knows MINIs and is savvy to all the possible quirks that can affect their performance.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
They are fine. I know a lot of people who went there for dyno days and they said the staff was nice and knew what they were doing.
Originally Posted by 70spop
I'm in.

Hey, how is Edge for MINI stuff? Have you guys had a lot of experience with them? I was wondering if there might be a shop in the Bay Area that really knows MINIs and is savvy to all the possible quirks that can affect their performance.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:49 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
They are fine. I know a lot of people who went there for dyno days and they said the staff was nice and knew what they were doing.
Cool, that's good to know. Thanks.

Er... back on topic...

Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 AM
mach schnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
get at least 6 people and I will fly up to San Fran
Jan - my 05 has 7k miles on it (orig owner bought it at SEMA and didn't drive it much) - it has AC Schnitzer full exhaust and I just added a CAI. A 15% pulley is a definite plan for my future upgrades as is ECU upgrade. All this ranting/raving about your tuning has me hyper-salivating!

However, I'm one of those guys (simply because the MCS is my only car at this time) that clings hard to not voiding warranty, and not modding in a way that negatively affects the reliability. But, my two previous cars were an 05 Porsche 987 and an 05 BMW 330ci ZHP (yeah, what's my deal with 05 cars????). The MCS is pretty comparable in handling (well, it's pretty damn hard to compete with a 987 (I think I drank a cup of tea while taking a 20 mph corner at 180 and it was no big deal ) - but still doesn't cut it in overall get up and get screaming down the road!

So, if I were to add a pulley and go the route of your amazing tuning - will I run into probs at the dealership and or reliability? Your honesty is appreciated and even if you say Yes, my tuning will cause you probs at the dealership - it doesn't mean I won't be a customer - I'm still a sucker for a fast car!!!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 04:39 PM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Jim Edge Motor Work's dyno is a dynojet and i think Jan perfers a different type when he does custom tunes.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:50 PM
checkers
5th Gear
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
70spop there are two shops in the bay area that are very good and know MINI's very well. Bay Bridges Motors in Oakland and Edge Motor Works in Dublin. I have used both of them (a lot) and they both do good work, what ever you need done. BBM does more road racing and EMW more auto-x.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:58 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Ooo! Thanks for the info, Randy. Which one was it that was able to track down your evil plastic-weld intake manifold part problem? That's the kind of know-how and diagnostic ability I'm looking for.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Since a lot of folks are reading this I though I'd pipe in that we have the ability to add another day for the RMW World Tuning Tour 07(r). PM me for details!!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's coming to Mid-A in Jan. I'm going to get on the list for at least a tune.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by mach schnell
Jan - my 05 has 7k miles on it (orig owner bought it at SEMA and didn't drive it much) - it has AC Schnitzer full exhaust and I just added a CAI. A 15% pulley is a definite plan for my future upgrades as is ECU upgrade. All this ranting/raving about your tuning has me hyper-salivating!

However, I'm one of those guys (simply because the MCS is my only car at this time) that clings hard to not voiding warranty, and not modding in a way that negatively affects the reliability. But, my two previous cars were an 05 Porsche 987 and an 05 BMW 330ci ZHP (yeah, what's my deal with 05 cars????). The MCS is pretty comparable in handling (well, it's pretty damn hard to compete with a 987 (I think I drank a cup of tea while taking a 20 mph corner at 180 and it was no big deal ) - but still doesn't cut it in overall get up and get screaming down the road!

So, if I were to add a pulley and go the route of your amazing tuning - will I run into probs at the dealership and or reliability? Your honesty is appreciated and even if you say Yes, my tuning will cause you probs at the dealership - it doesn't mean I won't be a customer - I'm still a sucker for a fast car!!!!!
I doubt the dealer has the ability to see our tune on the ecu as it is using the factory computer from what I have seen of the local BMW Mini dealer. There is no way for them to physically see the tune looking at the car like a piggyback or Unichip

Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
PGT
Banned
how about the checksum?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Johan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gnatster
RMW World Tuning Tour 07!!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:36 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Sounds like I need to try and set something up for the Pacific NW.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:45 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by checkers
70spop there are two shops in the bay area that are very good and know MINI's very well. Bay Bridges Motors in Oakland and Edge Motor Works in Dublin. I have used both of them (a lot) and they both do good work, what ever you need done. BBM does more road racing and EMW more auto-x.

I go to BBM. Jacques knows his sh_t, having prepped a Mini for endurance racing and driven it. And he's cool.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
I go to BBM. Jacques knows his sh_t, having prepped a Mini for endurance racing and driven it. And he's cool.
Good to know. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:36 AM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to NAM. I'm in the Lehigh Valley, just north of Philly. My 05 MCSc is mechanically bone stock at the moment. Still under warranty. My question is, have you folks noticed any reliability issues with these pulley mods? I asked my dealer about warranty issues, and they told me if I put a pulley on, don't expect service on the SC or any major engine components, so that makes me nervous.

If I have them put on a JCW pulley, presumably that DOESN'T void the warranty? Like it should matter where the pulley comes from. LOL.

I would definately like to deal with that "flat spot", but I have to keep the car reliable and repairable. Is that possible without spending a small fortune?

Thanks,
Lee

Old 12-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lsnover
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to NAM. I'm in the Lehigh Valley, just north of Philly. My 05 MCSc is mechanically bone stock at the moment. Still under warranty. My question is, have you folks noticed any reliability issues with these pulley mods? I asked my dealer about warranty issues, and they told me if I put a pulley on, don't expect service on the SC or any major engine components, so that makes me nervous.

If I have them put on a JCW pulley, presumably that DOESN'T void the warranty? Like it should matter where the pulley comes from. LOL.

I would definately like to deal with that "flat spot", but I have to keep the car reliable and repairable. Is that possible without spending a small fortune?

Thanks,
Lee
The 15% pulley is a very well proven mod to a 1st gen MCS at this point. Just make sure it's done correctly and you'll have no problems. Luckily you are close to one of the best MINI shops around - Helix. Mod to what you are comfortable. If it worries you that much then leave it stock or pay the big bucks for warrantied OEM mods.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
The 15% pulley is a very well proven mod to a 1st gen MCS at this point. Just make sure it's done correctly and you'll have no problems. Luckily you are close to one of the best MINI shops around - Helix. Mod to what you are comfortable. If it worries you that much then leave it stock or pay the big bucks for warrantied OEM mods.
Does yr dealer offer Dinan parts?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:53 AM
lsnover
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
Do folks like Helix typically backup (warrant) engines they work on? Or is it pretty much, "as is" work? I'm not "worried" per say, but I don't want to be fool hardy with my warranty either. This is a car I depend on for regular commuting functions. Trying to find a good balance.

Thanks!
Lee

Old 12-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by lsnover

Thanks,
Lee
the tune should get rid of your "flat" spot even with the stock pulley

Old 12-01-2007, 08:23 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
would the tune give us the infamous 'LDG no lag throttle response' ?! O oo o Oo

Old 12-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by sprp85
would the tune give us the infamous 'LDG no lag throttle response' ?! O oo o Oo
we can work on the map that does that, some like the extra response and some like it stock so we can flash it on after the initial tune as it only takes 4minutes to load

Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 AM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
get at least 6 people and I will fly up to San Fran
Hey you can count me in on the San Francisco deal Jan. I'm still trying to get my time to come out to LA. One of these days.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain RMW (Jan) Tune - Best mod by far