Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain RMW (Jan) Tune - Best mod by far

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When are you coming back to North East Jan?!!!!!!! (Helix!) Argg

Old 11-29-2007, 06:21 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PGT
yes, but it's relative. forced induction cars aren't as prone to low numbers as NA. The differences between how dynos read has more bearing on your 'number' than the difference between Atlanta and Philly.
ooops, I know that, that is why they put turbos on planes out west to deal with tha altitude..... I just wasn't thinking..... your right

Jan's tune is the special sauce that pulls it altogether..... the numbers reported here are incredible..... the amount of money I have spent prior to the advent of the "tune" to get this level of power is rediculous a tune with a pulley, intake and exhaust putting out this kind of power is really a feat..... the R53 is now a performance deal.... buy another used and g o nuts.... the prices i am seeing make this car (finally) a tuners dream..... can't say enough good things about Jan's effect on the R53.....

Last edited by SpiderX; 11-29-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sprp85
When are you coming back to North East Jan?!!!!!!! (Helix!) Argg
I think some people are working on that now. Just contact Helix and get put on a list and then we can set up a date!

Neil's car hand an issue down low, it seems to run like it should now

it seems each car has it's own little demons as a base flash only gets you started then multiple tweaking to get it right for each car

Old 11-29-2007, 07:18 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Revolution Mini Works
I think being cold out had a big effect on the results (higher than normal numbers for the mods) The deltas remained the same as what we have been seeing but it was definitely great dyno weather out there. They did have some new fans there that were from the AEM guys too. Regardless it's the deltas. People get caught up in numbers but the deltas are what matter.

I know on Neil's car it picked up 25ft lbs of torque over the massive flat spot his car had down low and 8-10ft lbs across the entire rest of the range
Hey Jan, what was his base peak WHP?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 AM
MidniteCoop
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been wanting to get my car tuned on a dyno for quite some time now.
I'm running into the issue of where to go due to location.
Any suggestions, what are the nearest dyno's to NYC.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:26 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
helix.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:28 AM
PGT
Banned
People get caught up in numbers but the deltas are what matter.
no, only the peak number...this is NAM!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 07:32 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by PGT
no, only the peak number...this is NAM!!!

in that case.... 5 billion hp

Not sure what the base was I know one of the cars made an extra 10 over the MTH

Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 AM
PGT
Banned
Not sure what the base was I know one of the cars made an extra 10 over the MTH

Old 11-29-2007, 07:45 AM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by n1ftyneil
The driving difference is looney tune nuts.
Jan, I think you may have found your new marketing slogan...

Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by tazio
Jan, I think you may have found your new marketing slogan...

he is from Scotland

since his car had such a dead spot down low and gaining 25ft lbs over that dead spot, I can see why he says that

normal is 6-10ft lbs

Old 11-29-2007, 07:53 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
haha yeah... that's what the difference in the curve looks like with a change of about 25ft/lbs or more tq in the dead spot.

so it's conclusive... the rmw tune makes 5 billion hp and 1.21 jiggawatts of tq... get yours today.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is 6 -10 ft lbs of torque really that noticeable by the butt dyno? I mean that's only about a 2% increase.........or is it more the case of the car feeling better because the flat spot down low was gone?

Some local KC MINI club members are trying to get Jan to come out and tuen a bunch of our cars and I signed up, but I wonder if the results are that noticeable or if it's more a case of self-fullfilling expectations - IOW you want it to feel better because you spent the money - so it does.

Either way, I'm still gonna do it. Jan, if you show up, we will come!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
the difference is there, in throttle response and all over the power band. Do you notice your car being more powerful? I think so but that's speculation. What you notice more then anything is the increased driveability.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 AM
PGT
Banned
think of it this way.....how much does a DFIC or Alta IC cost? Do you think either will be worth more than 10hp?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:21 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
See, this is what I'm wondering, since my car really has no driveability issues now. It runs fine the way it is........I'm still interested in doing it, because I think it is possible to fine tune things and gain a bit here and there, I just wonder if I'll really be able to feel it or measure it on the track.......

Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by MINIdave
See, this is what I'm wondering, since my car really has no driveability issues now. It runs fine the way it is........I'm still interested in doing it, because I think it is possible to fine tune things and gain a bit here and there, I just wonder if I'll really be able to feel it or measure it on the track.......

you can quantify it on a dyna pack.... it has a feature that will tell you the difference in feet traveled over the same time period of your base run and the final run

It takes the ramp time, hp/tq/hub speed and tells you how far each car traveled on the same ramp time

pretty cool stuff

so you can have a car with lower peak numbers but better area under the curve and it will show you which car goes farther in the same time frame

Neils difference was amazing.... car lengths....LOL

Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Jan...have you already made accommodations? Haven't heard from you so don't know if you need a room...Mark is planning on staying with me during that weekend...

Old 11-29-2007, 08:55 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
my car was running perfectly before the tune or at least i thought it was... now that it's tuned i can say my car was no where near as drivable. This is on an 06 with only 40k miles. trust me... you will notice a difference. For example now... I can come out of certain corners in 3rd gear instead of second and it doesn't slow me down. The car is simply easier to drive fast.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Jan...have you already made accommodations? Haven't heard from you so don't know if you need a room...Mark is planning on staying with me during that weekend...
I thought they were staying in a hotel closer to the Dyno.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:08 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ya, Jan is staying in Novi....
Originally Posted by TheWrks
I thought they were staying in a hotel closer to the Dyno.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:17 AM
mini d
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
Theres 2 of em

That shop must be in the middle of nowhere. Out here in So Cal, you can't take two steps without having to duck under a Starbucks sign. They just opened a Coffee Bean in my town, so long Starbucks. Back to the topic, can't wait until the new year, will be visiting Jan for sure.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 AM
n1ftyneil
3rd Gear
you can quantify it on a dyna pack.... it has a feature that will tell you the difference in feet traveled over the same time period of your base run and the final run

It takes the ramp time, hp/tq/hub speed and tells you how far each car traveled on the same ramp time

pretty cool stuff

so you can have a car with lower peak numbers but better area under the curve and it will show you which car goes farther in the same time frame

Neils difference was amazing.... car lengths....LOL
miniDave... I completely see where you are coming from. I was really itchy about going as I was so used to the way my car drove and there were no parts of it that really bothered me. However, now you have seen my reaction - I didn't gain any crazy power, but I fixed a HUGE issue that was there before.

I always thought my car had been one of the "weak" engines, turns out its one of the strong ones but part of the torque curve was on a siesta! Jans sofware coaxed the torque to come back home the car is a new animal now.

I really believe that even if your car feels great right now, if you tune it, you'll just laugh at how much better it feels after a tune.

I want to add again, neither Jan, myself or anyone else is professing massive, life changing gains with the tune - it's just going to make everything work MUCH better together and hence create a much more complete drivers car that the butt will notice.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 AM
n1ftyneil
3rd Gear
Oh and I was a calculated 70ft further forward than my "old" car at the end of a 4th gear pull. 70 feet folks.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:45 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
Jan (Revolution Mini Works) Dyno Tuned by 2005 MCS w/ basic mods today using Dimsport software. This is the best performance mod I have done by far, equal to the 15% pulley. After 2 hours of detailed tuning Jan achieved 217 WHP and 190 ft-pounds of torque. My only performance mods are a 15% pulley, CAI and catback exhaust. More information will follow. I have too much adrenaline flowing through my body to write more for now.
I TOLD YOU tunning was the ticket!!!

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp

Quick Reply: Drivetrain RMW (Jan) Tune - Best mod by far