Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain M7 AGS-R Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's also not "just" a cold air intake. It is a well designed and tested ram air intake.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:12 AM
SuwaneeM3
3rd Gear
i dont know if there is such a thing as "ram air" for fuel injected cars... more so for turbo charged engines.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:04 PM
bradchatellier
3rd Gear
Would the AGS-R CAI be compatible with (and a suitable upgrade for) a R56 with the JCW Engine Tuning Kit? It just seems so well designed, I'm kinda salivating.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:46 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bradchatellier
Would the AGS-R CAI be compatible with (and a suitable upgrade for) a R56 with the JCW Engine Tuning Kit? It just seems so well designed, I'm kinda salivating.
I'm gonna go out ona limb and say yes, because it replaces the airbox. But now you've paid $2000 for JCW and another $600+ for an intake. :impatient

Can we see more pics of the underside of the airbox?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 AM
e30r56
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SuwaneeM3
i dont know if there is such a thing as "ram air" for fuel injected cars... more so for turbo charged engines.
Why not? The air is being "rammed" directly into the filter via a scoop. I don't really see that big of a difference between this and a carbed muscle car of old. Both will suck air in just fine on their own, but benefit from cool air having a straight shot to the filter.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 AM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Man, that is just HOT. To bad M7 can't make something like that for the old Rs that could tie into the side air intake. Nice job.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:05 AM
dirkinoff
2nd Gear
VERY nice! But Sweet jebus That thing is crazy money!! To rich for my blood, Very nice though.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:44 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by e30r56
Why not? The air is being "rammed" directly into the filter via a scoop. I don't really see that big of a difference between this and a carbed muscle car of old. Both will suck air in just fine on their own, but benefit from cool air having a straight shot to the filter.

thats becuase you don't understand how a turbocharger works...

raming air into a turbo is alot like peeing in the ocean... sure... it makes a differnce... but its pretty minute in the grand scheme of things...

also all of that lovely "cold ram air" is superheated when being compressed in the incredibly HOT turbo. This is why it is most important to have a very efficent intercooler as opposed to a cold air intake... because its more important to control the air that actually enters the engine... than to control the air that enters the turbo.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Gardus
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
isellem what you're saying it's true, but it's also true that it's better to have less air restriction and a bigger filtering area, so the turbo can suck a bit better... and if the air it's colder is also better, even if the gain is less than in a NA engine.

I think that with a turbo/supercharged engine the engine scoop is more effective if used for the intercooler, like in the mk1 MCS and the Impreza, but using it for the filter is not a so bad idea, look at all the turbocharged car that run in amateur drag races, without a headlight so the filter can breath thru it, or at the BBR 300hp turbocharged mk1 MCS, with that big filter over the engine behind the scoop, and it's still one of the fastest mini.

Of course in terms of perfomarcance a bigger turbo or a more efficient intercooler is a lot more effective.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:04 AM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cooldaddy
to proof it's indeed the best performing intake as stated? That would be nice... it looks well thought out though
Originally Posted by M7
. We will have some datalogging graphs to share very soon with temperature deltas that will show why keeping the intake charge cool is of major importance.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
Originally Posted by joshK
When can we see some before/after dyno numbers? I've seen the 4 intakes that are out for the R56 and the only actual numbers I've seen have been from Alta and Gruppe M (although even with those kits, I would like to see before/after WHP numbers - stock and intake only - on the same graph).

I'll be waiting to choose the intake I'll be going with until I see numbers. This one looks great though. I'm hoping it has the numbers to match the looks :0)
Originally Posted by umterp08
wow, look at that thing. Its great. I cant wait to see some numbers.
Originally Posted by M7
Hello...

We will have all the numbers that are expected from us and more.
With that said real world numbers will clarify how effective the
this system is on the road. Airflow is the secret to getting the most
out of the AGS-R but not everything.......

Peter
M7 tuning
562-608-8123
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
This thread is useless without numbers.... and some pics of the parts dissasembled.
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Whatev dude. Why did you even waste the time to post that? Especially after they JUST posted saying the numbers would be up soon? :impatient

BUMP for numbers!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Hi there...

Nardo is currently working on a CAN-Bus interface tying in all the
in car sensors etc.
We will have more soon.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 AM
isellem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gardus
isellem what you're saying it's true, but it's also true that it's better to have less air restriction and a bigger filtering area, so the turbo can suck a bit better... and if the air it's colder is also better, even if the gain is less than in a NA engine.

I think that with a turbo/supercharged engine the engine scoop is more effective if used for the intercooler, like in the mk1 MCS and the Impreza, but using it for the filter is not a so bad idea, look at all the turbocharged car that run in amateur drag races, without a headlight so the filter can breath thru it, or at the BBR 300hp turbocharged mk1 MCS, with that big filter over the engine behind the scoop, and it's still one of the fastest mini.

Of course in terms of perfomarcance a bigger turbo or a more efficient intercooler is a lot more effective.
while you are correct and that it is effective. The removal of a headlight on a drag car is for that last ounce of power, that extreme move to remove even more weight and possibly get something else extra out of it. Also, drag turbo cars do not run airfilters... they often run just a mesh screen over the inlet.

My argument, which i personanlly think you understand and are relating to in the last sentance of your post, is that the time, effort/energy and money spent on this is better spent elsewhere on the engine. i haven't read it for myself yet but i have been told that this system makes about 7hp... now compare that to mike4572s intake for 55 dollars.

or spend that 600 bucks or so and spend it on an intercooler and you will get ALOT more out of it that out of a so called "ram air" system (that admittedly by m7 doesn' really make a big differnce)

Old 09-27-2007, 05:20 AM
PGT
Banned
the intercooler is more important to giving the car a cool intake charge than any air filter system...it's forced induction after all (ram air is not > the turbo's ability to suck air in). most OEM systems are plenty capable to well beyond stock power levels if a hi-flow filter is put in the stock airbox. it will be nice to see some hard data showing M7 has outdone BMW engineers.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 AM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Any worry about the front part of the intake melting? Its right over the turbo and heat shield, just a thought. Screw the can bus lets dyno the car

Have fun!
Josh

Old 09-27-2007, 05:58 AM
PGT
Banned
a dyno doesn't begin to approximate real world driving conditions with respect to something like an intake or intercooler. you'd need a proper dyno room setup

Originally Posted by Gale Banks
A properly engineered, fully instrumented dyno cell costs at least one million dollars. An engine dyno cell with full emissions equipment costs around $2.5 million. Dyno test cells at this level of accuracy are found at GM, Ford, Daimler-Chrysler, CAT, Cummins, and International to name a few. Aftermarket companies rarely have this level of equipment.
http://bankspower.com/im_DieselPower_db_sum05.cfm

Old 09-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Gardus
2nd Gear
Well maybe if you don't use the scoop a cooper bonnet could be better...less drag, and in my opinion, it even looks better.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Gardus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
a dyno doesn't begin to approximate real world driving conditions with respect to something like an intake or intercooler. you'd need a proper dyno room setup

I think the acceleration times, even with a stopwatch and looking at the tacho, are often more reliable than a dyno.

Try a 50-90 kph in 2nd or 90-130 in 3rd, or the 0-160 kph... When you have seconds of difference, then you know the money were well spent.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 PM
a96bimmerm3
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT

Granted, but given a baseline it gives you a pretty good idea and an easily quantifiable power number for not a retarded amount of money. If you want to test the intake or IC just blow a LOT of air on the front of the car. Should be fine. Theres no replacement for real world testing but unfortunately you cant quantify very much. Need an F1 style rolling road, which I don't have the money to rent!

Back to the topic. Any idea if the front part of the intake would melt? And other pics of the components we cant see?

Last edited by a96bimmerm3; 09-30-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:20 AM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gardus
Well maybe if you don't use the scoop a cooper bonnet could be better...less drag, and in my opinion, it even looks better.

Wouldn't that just defeat the purpose of this thread?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:48 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by a96bimmerm3
Any worry about the front part of the intake melting? Its right over the turbo and heat shield, just a thought. Screw the can bus lets dyno the car

Have fun!
Josh
We have a new product coming that will address that issue as well. We first noticed this problem when our stock scoop showed signs of deformation due to heat after a very hot test session. The prototype piece has been signed off on and we will be showing that shortly. It will work with all r-56 turbo applications.
Regarding dyno testing , as this item works primarily with the rush of incoming cool air it's benefits will be harder to detect. I'm not saying it will not get dynoed, we are just not looking for much in that particular type of test.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 10-13-2007, 06:09 PM
-Vampyre-
3rd Gear
Can i buy one yet?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMacPR
BUMP for numbers!
B U M P

Old 10-22-2007, 07:42 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Thank you for waiting and not making a stink.....

The issue is SEMA, yes SEMA is big-time for my composite shop who is taking all the resources from small guys like me, and giving them to the big boys (read Honda, Toyota, and Nissan). But with that said I have been promissed lay-up time next week...so cross your fingers.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
andyde
5th Gear
[quote=M7;1757638]

.. I will make the next intake in Mellow Yellow with a CF
top cover.

(slow turning head-Matrix style)... that looks AWESOME!

I am now getting depressed..........which mod do I do first..

Old 11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
so ?
any updates, just got my latest issue of MC2, first page, wham, there it is.
of course I still don't see any numbers or it listed on your site. I don't see the intercooler diverter/funnel on your site either.
nice oem look, the fiberglass unit sounds like a fair price, similar to the ddm unit, but what are you working on to protect it from being cooked by the turbo ?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain M7 AGS-R Cold Air Intake