Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:46 AM
sleepingminiS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blow off valve

im getting mixed answers. can you install a blow off valve on a 02 mini cooper S.

also what kind of super charger is it i know its not a cyntifical but is it a roots or what else?

newbie here haha love my mcs tho.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:50 AM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear

Last edited by SayGoodbye; 10-03-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:00 AM
minjae
6th Gear
blow off valves are only for cars with turbos.
if you really want it you can buy it from ebay.
dont think you want to do that tho.

but like SayGoodbye said. get an alta if you want the supercharger whine to become louder. alta is one of the more louder intakes. i have a m7/ddm one. both pretty much the same exact thing.

enjoy and fyi..modding will become and addiction.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does a pulley add to the loudness of the whine?

Old 09-15-2007, 12:12 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear

Last edited by SayGoodbye; 10-03-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:52 PM
groovetini
2nd Gear
A BOV is pointless on our supercharged cars.

I'll try to explain.
Well 1st off, we need to know why a turbocharged car needs one. As we know, a turbo spins from spend exhaust gas, and will spin down freely if the exhaust gas stops. So if a car is generating boost, it all goes in smoothly to the engine. When the throttle plate closes (ex, shifting from 2nd to 3rd) the turbo is still generating boost and effectively hits a wall, and is forced to go backwards, into the turbo impeller, causing it to slow down or even backspin. Then when you apply throttle again, the turbo has to take the time to change direction again, and build boost again. The BOV is placed in between the throttle plate and the turbo, so that when the throttle plate if closed, the BOV opens, and all the air is let out through it, and not back to the turbo, keeping the turbo moving, allowing you to build boost much faster at the next shift.

Now, why don't we need one? Unlike a turbo, superchargers are connected directly to the engine. Meaning that as soon as we let off the gas to shift, the s/c spins down with it, and then spin right back up as soon as we're back on. Basically, the charged air that a turbo has to deal with between shifts is not there for us, and the little that there is there, is dealt with by our inter bypass valve (connects pre and post s/c). I hope that clears everything up.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
I have a BOV in my 02 MCS. Of course, I also have a turbo.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:23 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a friend with a supercharged crx with a blowoff valve on it. In fact it sounds louder than a lot of turbocharged cars.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny how we get one of these every few months

Originally Posted by sleepingminiS
im getting mixed answers. can you install a blow off valve on a 02 mini cooper S.

also what kind of super charger is it i know its not a cyntifical but is it a roots or what else?

Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
MightyMaus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sleepingminiS

Just throwing in my two cents - I have the Alta CAI and a 19% pulley... You get a rather loud sucking sound when the throttle is partially open and at the higher end of the RPM range, the supercharger SHRIEKS. In the car, its louder than my Magnaflow exhaust. Loud enough where the guy in the R32 I raced on the HIGHWAY, said he heard that over my exhaust.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 PM
tommy_zito
5th Gear
yeah i agree i have the Alta CIA, no pulley and i noticed a huge difference in the sound the S.C makes and the air flow...

Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 PM
npaddu83
Neutral
so, all stock Mini cooper S's with turbo's have some sort of blow off valve already? how come they don't sound as loud or are as prominent as the aftermarket BOV's from HKS for example? I am getting my new '09 tomorrow and I am curious if I will be able to hear the BOV in the background over the engine... thanks and great information.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
groovetini
2nd Gear
whoops, looks like you posted in the 1st gen section.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wasnt there a thread just like this......
scroll down...

Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
i just wanted to add that when i got my 17% pulley my whine is def louder and you can hear it just driving in 1st its sexy. but also get a detroit tuned bypass valve itll help.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:18 PM
npaddu83
Neutral
thanks I read some of the other numerous BOV posts...

Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Sorry Nope

Originally Posted by npaddu83
so, all stock Mini cooper S's with turbo's have some sort of blow off valve already? how come they don't sound as loud or are as prominent as the aftermarket BOV's from HKS for example? I am getting my new '09 tomorrow and I am curious if I will be able to hear the BOV in the background over the engine... thanks and great information.
No stock turbos are loud, not even Porsche 911 Turbo, Evo, Sti, its reused.
Helix, Alta, HKS, Forge, Riss have BOVs for sale.
R56 Thread:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-the-r56.html

As for R53, 02-06 has no turbo at all, supercharger yes.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 09-16-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So an 02-06 Mini S is supercharged. Does that mean a BOV is pointless or just for a "Wow" factor. I like the "Pfffssst" noise but dont want to cause any damage that will arise in the long term use of a BOV. Does the BOV cause any adverse side effects? What does it do to the MPG (if anything)?

As far as the supercharger goes, I have found a system that redirects the supercharger exhaust out to the front of the vehicle. I am not certain where I found this at but I do remember seeing a photo of it showing that the exhaust from the turbo or supercharger (whatever) was redirected out and under the front bumper. They said it provided better MPG and more HP. Just wondering if anyone has seen / use this and if its worth it or just another "Wow" factor.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DMBFan2
So an 02-06 Mini S is supercharged. Does that mean a BOV is pointless or just for a "Wow" factor. I like the "Pfffssst" noise but dont want to cause any damage that will arise in the long term use of a BOV. Does the BOV cause any adverse side effects? What does it do to the MPG (if anything)?

As far as the supercharger goes, I have found a system that redirects the supercharger exhaust out to the front of the vehicle. I am not certain where I found this at but I do remember seeing a photo of it showing that the exhaust from the turbo or supercharger (whatever) was redirected out and under the front bumper. They said it provided better MPG and more HP. Just wondering if anyone has seen / use this and if its worth it or just another "Wow" factor.
1. Yes a BOV is pointless on an R53 (supercharged MINI)
2. I think you are getting R56 and R53 MINIs mixed up as there is no "supercharger exhaust". I think you are speaking of an external wastegate on an R56. I personally havent seen any MINIs with something like this, but it doesnt mean its not out there!! If you want the BOV sound, get a turbo car.....OR do a google search for NA Electronic blow off valve.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
"A BOV is pointless on our supercharged cars.

I'll try to explain.
Well 1st off, we need to know why a turbocharged car needs one. As we know, a turbo spins from spend exhaust gas, and will spin down freely if the exhaust gas stops. So if a car is generating boost, it all goes in smoothly to the engine. When the throttle plate closes (ex, shifting from 2nd to 3rd) the turbo is still generating boost and effectively hits a wall, and is forced to go backwards, into the turbo impeller, causing it to slow down or even backspin. Then when you apply throttle again, the turbo has to take the time to change direction again, and build boost again. The BOV is placed in between the throttle plate and the turbo, so that when the throttle plate if closed, the BOV opens, and all the air is let out through it, and not back to the turbo, keeping the turbo moving, allowing you to build boost much faster at the next shift.

Now, why don't we need one? Unlike a turbo, superchargers are connected directly to the engine. Meaning that as soon as we let off the gas to shift, the s/c spins down with it, and then spin right back up as soon as we're back on. Basically, the charged air that a turbo has to deal with between shifts is not there for us, and the little that there is there, is dealt with by our inter bypass valve (connects pre and post s/c). I hope that clears everything up."

What about a compressor bypass valve? I read about this on a Saleen site for cars with S-chargers. Is there anything that can provide the "Pssfft" noise that a BOV makes? The sound is very interesting. Does a BOV or a s-charger version of a BOV cause any damage?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
its so funny people talk about a bov on a supercharged engine. the sound is constant so when would it have time to make a blow off air noise? use your head. common sense.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Not everyone understands how forced induction systems work. It isnt to much of a leap to think that you can just swap out a BPV with a BOV...

Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
That is true. I guess I had a turbo car before so I know both worlds.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 AM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
"its so funny people talk about a bov on a supercharged engine. the sound is constant so when would it have time to make a blow off air noise? use your head. common sense."

Its so funny that people talk about using common sense on a website filled with a variety of Mini drivers with an even larger variety of questions about their vehicles. Not everyone is as mechanically inclined as the next. Use your head.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Thread---> FTL

Quick Reply: Drivetrain blow off valve