Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Adding GP intercooler to R53 - what does it take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding GP intercooler to R53 - what does it take?

In the same token as my Adding GP trailing arms to R53 - what does it take? thread, I decided to post the specific info on the GP Intercooler differences. It's a lot simpler to do this than the trailing arms, of course... and it has been done many times already by others here on NAM.

Still, it's nice to have a quick reference, in case someone is curious, so here goes:

------------

I have done careful comparison of the "CHARGE-AIR COOLER" and "GRILLE, HOOD, COOPER S" sections between the standard R53 and the GP... courtesy of RealOEM.com), and it is clear there are only four part #s that separate the two, at least with regards to the intercooler. Everything else in the drivetrain is identical to a JCW MCS (except for the ECU flash).

For those who don't already know, here's a list of the "UNIQUE TO GP" parts in that region of the car (based upon unique part #s):

17517565302 - CHARGE-AIR COOLER (Qty: 1)
17517565345 - SEALING PLATE, CHARGE-AIR COOLER (Qty: 1)
17517565396 - SUPPORT (Qty: 2)
51134404668 - AIR DUCT (Qty: 1)

The only other GP-unique parts beyond that are decals... but if your MCS isn't actually a GP, you don't want to label it as one, do you? Counterfeit GP? LOL...

In case you want to look through them yourself, here are the 4 pages I used to extract these part numbers:

RealOEM.com - R53 Cooper S CHARGE-AIR COOLER
RealOEM.com - R53 Cooper S JCW GP CHARGE-AIR COOLER
RealOEM.com - R53 Cooper S GRILLE, HOOD, COOPER S
RealOEM.com - R53 Cooper S JCW GP GRILLE, HOOD, COOPER S

Old 08-26-2007, 11:01 PM
motionmonk
2nd Gear
Interesting...
How is the GP intercooler different than the intercooler on the R53? Is it larger, or more airflow?

Originally Posted by Edge
I have done careful comparison of the "CHARGE-AIR COOLER" and "GRILLE, HOOD, COOPER S" sections between the standard R53 and the GP... courtesy of RealOEM.com), and it is clear there are only four part #s that separate the two, at least with regards to the intercooler. Everything else in the drivetrain is identical to a JCW MCS (except for the ECU flash).

Old 08-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by motionmonk
Interesting...
How is the GP intercooler different than the intercooler on the R53? Is it larger, or more airflow?
Yes, it's "deeper", it is basically two extra rows more than the usual IC. It's not really a direct power "booster", as far as I understand... the main benefit is that it will cool off faster, so consecutive high-rev runs will be more consistent.

In other words, the main gain would be at high RPMs over an extended period of time.

It won't help much at the dragstrip, but it should help at the racetrack!

The downside though... you won't be able to access the spark plugs any more without removing the IC first.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:43 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here’s a thread on the subject entering at the middle. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=81696

I’ve retrofitted the intercooler, if you have the early model duct with the rubber threshold you will need the later model duct to fit the GP intercooler but the costly GP specific model (668) is not needed. The GP part has some of the support ribs trimmed to avoid contact with the IC cover but a more accurate trimming can easily be performed by the user, in fact I had to trim the GP part because it did not have adequate trimming placement.

Last edited by Edge; 08-27-2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Simplified link - NO content edits
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by k-huevo
Here’s a thread on the subject entering at the middle. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=81696
Good thread. I "cleaned it up" by moving all of the off-topic posts to a separate thread, so it's all about the GP IC now. I also took the liberty of changing the link in your post to hit the beginning of the thread, now that it's cleaned up.
I’ve retrofitted the intercooler, if you have the early model duct with the rubber threshold you will need the later model duct to fit the GP intercooler but the costly GP specific model (668) is not needed. The GP part has some of the support ribs trimmed to avoid contact with the IC cover but a more accurate trimming can easily be performed by the user, in fact I had to trim the GP part because it did not have adequate trimming placement.
Hmm - I can appreciate that it can be "made" to work, but surely there are benefits to the GP part... more effective air distribution?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Is the foam rubber seal on the underside of the air duct in the same location on both air ducts?

Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, they have identical placement in theory, but in practice the foam strip can be sloppily routed on either part. I installed the later model duct on my vehicle with the stock intercooler but I’ve purchased a new foam strip to replace the original because it was stuck on in an uneven fashion. They really are the same part with some of the bracket rib ground down on the driver’s side so if you have the later model there is no need to get the GP IC cover. The foam will form-fit over the capture hump so no need to trim on that piece. The under hood insulation will need to be massaged in a couple of spots to prevent the IC cover from gouging it.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Here's another question - applies to both the JCW silver standard IC cover and the GP IC cover... has anyone come up with a good way to either:
  1. Prevent the "stain" on the JCW logo from appearing from the rubber seal
  2. Protect the JCW logo in such a way that it isn't permanently stained? Like some kind of clear protective layer (such as the same material used for the "invisishield" bras). I imagine it would need to be heat resistant.
The poor choice of material for the foam seal (because clearly it is not fully resistant to heat) is quite disappointing.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:29 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear

Well, they have identical placement in theory, but in practice the foam strip can be sloppily routed on either part. I installed the later model duct on my vehicle with the stock intercooler but I’ve purchased a new foam strip to replace the original because it was stuck on in an uneven fashion. They really are the same part with some of the bracket rib ground down on the driver’s side so if you have the later model there is no need to get the GP IC cover. The foam will form-fit over the capture hump so no need to trim on that piece. The under hood insulation will need to be massaged in a couple of spots to prevent the IC cover from gouging it.
Thanks ... I remember you posting that picture on MINI2

I have the later style air duct as the original style scratched the silver JCW intercooler cover and they were both replaced under warranty. Now if only the dealer would start selling the GP intercooler parts.

Last edited by MINIAC; 08-27-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge

Here's another question - applies to both the JCW silver standard IC cover and the GP IC cover... has anyone come up with a good way to either:
  1. Prevent the "stain" on the JCW logo from appearing from the rubber seal
  2. Protect the JCW logo in such a way that it isn't permanently stained? Like some kind of clear protective layer (such as the same material used for the "invisishield" bras). I imagine it would need to be heat resistant.
I just use Simple Green to get rid of the stains when I wash the car.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 AM
RIPPER
4th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts
one side of thr gp intercooler has a larger opening then the other side. how do you make it work with the stock intercooler horns?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 AM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear

Last edited by SayGoodbye; 10-03-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Jazz003
Neutral
Foam strip/seal...

Hey guys! Great thread!
Listen, I am in need of replacing the foam strip that seals the bottomside of the hood to the intercooler. Any ideas where I can order this from?

Old 10-22-2010, 02:54 PM
ggcadc
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Silver253
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wmw now has a GP IC diverter that would deff help using this to make sure ur GP IC is at full potential

Old 10-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Jazz003
Neutral
Thanks for the reply ggcadc.

What is the part name for this part? I am trying to look it up but am having no luck.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:27 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Silver253
wmw now has a GP IC diverter that would deff help using this to make sure ur GP IC is at full potential
Been looking at that part. Since I have the intercooler coming I might as well go ahead and order it.

Now I need to get more details on the thermal coating for the IC to see if that is worth it.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Yes the stock diverter was expensive and not very effective, that's why DDM and I partnered to make a diverter for the GP intercooler.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Jazz003
Neutral
A buddy of mine has a 2006 MCSa with a few JCW upgrades. He still has the stock intercooler but his foam strip that seals the hood (when closed) to the intercooler is in really bad shape. Where can he purchase just the foam piece (and what is it called?)?

Old 10-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hunter99
Been looking at that part. Since I have the intercooler coming I might as well go ahead and order it.
Hey, where did you look to get one? Been wanting one for a while, but no idea where to look.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Chan
Hey, where did you look to get one? Been wanting one for a while, but no idea where to look.
mynes has them

Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Way Motor Works also has them.