Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Laptop controlled ECU? Does it exist?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:13 AM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laptop controlled ECU? Does it exist?

I am looking for some software for my Cooper S. I was wondering if there are any ECU programs out there that let you edit fuel maps and everything at will with a laptop. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2007, 02:57 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The closest thing is the hydra from Alta. There are others as well in europe. Do a search here and you should find a thread that talks about different options. If I find the thread I will link it here or if someone knows maybe they can.

Originally Posted by '*Ace*'
I am looking for some software for my Cooper S. I was wondering if there are any ECU programs out there that let you edit fuel maps and everything at will with a laptop. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by '*Ace*'
Good news. Try this Dimsport's Genius

GENIUS CAN 2.0, K/L LINE, J1850 SERIAL READER/PROGRAMMER KGENIUS 1500,00 Euros

Stand-alone touch-screen console for serial reading/programming operations, it requires one of the packet of protocols reported below
Inclusive of:
GENIUS CONSOLE
OBDII standard connector
Universal wiring (pin-to-pin connection to OBDII/diagnostic socket)
Universal power supply
1 256 Mbyte SECURE DIGITAL memory card
1 USB cable for PC/laptop connections

CAR SERIAL PROGRAMMING PROTOCOLS - FULL PACKET AV3230001 3490,00 Euros

All the protocols for car serial reading/programming available at the order. Serial reprogramming operation free from any charge. Checksum modules eventually required for the recalibration of the same car ECUs included.

RACE EVO STANDARD - CAR & BIKE VERSION K03R8002E 2980,00 Euros

It allows the visualisation & recalibration of stock ECU engine working datasets identified through our setting files. Automatic checksum recalculation achieved through "setting files" (checksum module required). Reflashing operations allowed with serial programming protocols (GENIUS required).
Inclusive of:
RACE EVO STANDARD
CAR upgrade
BIKE upgrade
300 CREDITS for SETTING FILES
1 USB key
1 Installation CD with operative manuals
Expensive?........ yes.
But you will get full control... anyday, anytime you want and fine tuning everytime that you mod your MINI, if you know what you're doing and if you have an easy access to dyno facility.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 08-25-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
More on Dimsport

If you're serious about tuning, I would go for Hydra or Dimsport Genius.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:12 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you want to tune your car... and you are willing to spend that kind of jack... go with the PROVEN results... only go with MoTeC! The only true stand alone!

however be prepaired with any standanlone ecu you will have to ditch your factory throttle body and go to a cable linkage.

The other option that is relitivliy inexpensive is the Greddy E-manage. thats lap top based if you want that... otherwise.. AFC all the way!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:19 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would a piggy-back computer like...well this Apex-i thingy...
http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_ele...=260&pageNum=1
Would this be better?

Old 08-25-2007, 04:27 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The apexi is a fuel controller,

no timing. The Motec and the like are really for racers, as you'd loose your ABS, traction control and DSC.

Also, check with Don at DMH. He's using a Unichip like device that is user programmable (don't remember the name).

Also the new Unichip allows for remote program modification, via Unichip....

There is no good software package for the Mini for the end user that isn't rich. That's just the way it is for lots of the European brands....

FWIW, Hot Rod did some stories on aftermarket power adders for ford cheby and the chrysler hemis. While the parts are their for the hemis, no one has the codes. Blame the Damlier part of what was Damlier Chrysler. Ford and GM will sell the programming spec to anyone with a big enough checkbook. So you get all these supertuner products and the like for about $350.

Matt

Old 08-25-2007, 04:32 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Dr. O

you would be lucky if that is all you loose... the real pain in the *** is hooking things like dome lights up and other reduntant things we take for granted...

besides... who cares about dsc... not the guy who is trying to get ever last ounce of power out of the car.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
That I could live without....

Originally Posted by isellem
Dr. O

you would be lucky if that is all you loose... the real pain in the *** is hooking things like dome lights up and other reduntant things we take for granted...

besides... who cares about dsc... not the guy who is trying to get ever last ounce of power out of the car.
but dome lights, that's a deal breaker!

Matt

Old 08-25-2007, 04:35 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
but dome lights, that's a deal breaker!

Matt

im glad you get my humor...

Old 08-26-2007, 10:55 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
MoTec? Do I bend over now, or later? Cause i'm going to take it in the *** witht he cost of that thing.

Megasquirt. Do it once. Do it right. $500 pre-assembeled.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:37 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
.....Megasquirt. Do it once. Do it right. $500 pre-assembeled.
Have you done this Rick? If o, or if anyone else has gone with the squirt then I'd like to hear some feedback.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Have you done this Rick? If o, or if anyone else has gone with the squirt then I'd like to hear some feedback.

Shhhh....

Its a secret.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:12 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
MoTec? Do I bend over now, or later? Cause i'm going to take it in the *** witht he cost of that thing.

Megasquirt. Do it once. Do it right. $500 pre-assembeled.
what the hell is the megasquirt? It sounds like the aftermath of a bad meal...if it only does fuel mapping you are throwing away 200 dollars...

Old 08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
The Megasquirt is the grassroots racers best friend.

Full standalone. Developed by racers, for racers.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

Old 08-26-2007, 12:21 PM
isellem
5th Gear
taken directly from there website...

In general, MegaSquirt is not designed to be a 'no hassle' solution. Instead it is intended to be an educational process.

not the kind of things i would like to hear when trying to tune my engine. I read into this as... not reliable... not proven... almost no local knowledge at the local dynos... and not going on my car where i am trying to tune the last ounce of performance out of my engine where if a mistake is made could lead to catostrophic engine failure and wallet leak...

but if you guys are having a good time with them and are making more power and not suffering driveability more power to you!

so... if its a full standalone and not a piggy back... what are you guys doing for throttle bodies?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Its one of the coolest things ive ever run across.

Ive had them on 2 cars already, and they are very very easy to use. I bet if you went to a good dyno shop, they would know exactly what it is, there are lot of people that use them.

As far as the throttle body goes, you will have to wait and see.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:29 PM
isellem
5th Gear
no offense... but im sure if you found it easy to use... i likely wont need anyone to really baby sit me with it.

so... you are either still using the factory ecu for throttle control dsc abs etc... and this system is mearly providing the fuel and ignition maps. which is great by the way.

i actually did this about two years ago with FAST.... it worked incredibly well... i just never told anyone...

or you are using a cable linkage etc...

Old 08-26-2007, 12:47 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Anyone with a basic knowlage of how an ECU works and what it does, and a little computer background should be able to handle it. Download one of the tuning programs an look at the simplicity.

I would also reccomend anyone using one of these, MAKE A NEW HARNESS. I adapted one harness to fit the plug on the squirt, and it was just a PITA.

None of that DSC or ABS crap for me, who needs it?

I'm looking at two optons for the tb still, i can either build a set of circuits into the board to manipulate the servo on the tb using the pedal, or, modify the tb to accept a cable. Either way works for me, it just depends what I feel like doing when the time comes.

Thats just one of the many many many things going thru my mind right now as far as the ECU goes, i have tons more ideas for neat stuff that i need to work out.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
For those that don't know about MegaSquirt,

don't knock it. It's pretty powerfull, a free code upgrade to mega SquirtnSpark allows for more stuff on the basic board, and the newer version is very powerful. If you're not into the flow of the "squirt" world, please read a bit before you blow it off. About the only knock that I have for it is that it's a two bank system (Fires two banks of injectors, not each one at the same cam angle for each cylinder). This is a very small hit to power and emissions.

That said, there are those that have worked harnesses as SW to work with ford EDIS system (one of the easyist to retrofit to non-FI engines, like old Fiats). It's compatible with boosted motors out of the box, and with a different pressure sensor, can manage very, very high boosts.

Think of this as the Linux of ECUs.

As far as easy, by building it, you learn a lot about how everything is connected and what signals do what to whom. It's a speed density system (sound familiar?). I don't think it does drive by wire yet, but since it's kind of an open source world, that's coming....

Anyway, I've been thinking of doing this to my old Fiat. Either that or turn it into an electric!

But there's tons of power there to be had. If you doubt it, go to the site, and get to the forums to read about the real projects that have been done. It's totally bitchen!

Matt

Old 08-26-2007, 01:42 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
My favorite part is that you can convert over to using entirely GM electronics. Al the sensors can be had at autozone for probably less than $100, and if any of them break, they are dirt cheap.

3 Bar map is also an OE GM item, nice little touch.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Now I'm just bummed...

as a Ford guy that is! But I have to admit that GM parts sure are cheaper, but maybe not in price!

Matt

Old 08-26-2007, 01:48 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Haha, i'm not a GM guy really either.

Its just to good of a deal to pass up, 30 dollar map sensor, 5 dollar temp and pressure sensors, 10 dollar tps's, and they all interchange for the most part, and if you cant afford a new one, you can get them free at the junkyard!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and all the values for the GM sensors are avaliable on the MS forums! no need to try and figure any of that out!

Last edited by not-so-rednwhitecooper; 08-26-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:55 PM
isellem
5th Gear
so... what kind of benefits have you guys seen from this squirt system?

How much more hp or tq have you made or area under the curve have you guys made?

Old 08-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Here's an excellent article from Grassroots Motorsport

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com...megasquirt.pdf

to cut to the chase, they did a fuel only controller, and pertronics optical trigger from the distributor, MSD 6A, and pulled 117 hp from an engine with stock manifold and exhaust on pump gas, when the same engines with carbs in modified B production get a bit over 120 with custom manifolds and race exhaust on race gas. One of the neat things is that you can run a wide-band output into a logging input and drive. then there's SW to compare A/Fs to targets, and it will create a new VE table for you.

But really, what it comes down to a user tunable speed density system who's software is pretty much open source. You basically pay component prices, plus about 75% more if you want it assembled for you, and all the software is free. What's not to like?

Since you're so hands on, I think it's something you'd be all over once you learn about what's out there. The price can't be beat, and it can do most of what many want to do.

Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Laptop controlled ECU? Does it exist?