Driver's School Discuss tips, techniques, and schools for enhancing the driver portion of the performance driving equation.

Heel-Toe downshifting (and an introduction)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 PM
SpringMountain
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heel-Toe downshifting (and an introduction)

Hi all,

My name is Ken Melgoza and I will be posting for Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch on this forum. As a consistent driver and racer at Spring Mountain for the last 5 years, I can attest to the exciting and challenging nature of this track, and the exceptional quality of the staff. Spring Mountain is committed to supporting the driving and racing community, and to that end I plan on creating a series of performance-driving related articles. My first piece in this series is about one of the foundations of performance driving: heel-toe down shifting. If you prefer, go straight to the Heel-Toe video for an action peek at this technique, then come back here for a more detailed explanation.

I am also pleased to announce our new Mini Performance Driving School. In the near future, I'll provide you with all the details.

Heel-Toe Down Shifting

Heel-toe down shifting is the process of matching engine RPMs to transmission RPMs while braking and downshifting. Done properly, your vehicle will remain stable and balanced, resulting in faster lap times.

Here's how it works:

As you press the brake to slow your car, RPMs drop - makes sense, right? Here's the catch; when you depress the clutch to begin your down shift, engine RPMs will drop even more because the engine is no longer coupled to the transmission. If you just down shift and let the clutch out, the engine RPMs will be much lower than that of the transmission. The result is the car lurching forward and a possible loss of control (you know, that "chirping" the tires make when you let the clutch out too fast). This can greatly upsets the balance of the car. Not too much of a deal on the street, but imagine if you're trying to out-brake an opponent on the track, at a minimum you lose time. If it's really bad, you might lose control.

This is where heel-toe down shifting comes in and improves performance. As you push the clutch in and move the shifter through neutral, you "blip" the throttle. "Blip" means to give the throttle a quick push to "rev" the engine. When you "blip" the throttle you want it to be just enough so that when you let the clutch out the engine RPMs and transmission RPMs match exactly. Easy, right?

Now you're probably thinking to yourself, how do I brake, press the clutch and "blip" the throttle? I only have 2 legs and my arms are a little busy steering and shifting! The name "heel-toe" is a little deceptive but it gives you a clue that you're supposed to use one foot to do two things (brake and "blip").

As you might guess, (right) foot placement is critical and will vary based on the car you're driving. In general, you want to place your right foot firmly on the brake but shifted slightly toward the accelerator so you can roll your foot enough to "blip" the throttle while maintaining the right amount of pressure on the brake. The pictures and video below are from a Lotus Elise. I chose this vehicle mainly because it was easy to place cameras.

The following sequence of pictures shows the process:

Here is a short video that shows the heal-toe technique in real-time and in slow motion:

Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch - Heel Toe Video

Summary

Heel-toe down shifting is one of those basic performance-driving techniques that must be mastered if you want to be competitive and maintain safety. Becoming proficient in this technique not only greatly improves your lap times, but also reduces wear and tear on your car. Your car stays more balanced, and track safety is improved.

As with all performance driving, heel-toe down shifting should only be practiced in a safe, controlled environment.

At Spring Mountain, we offer classes for all levels of drivers. Our performance driving schools give you the opportunity to learn from professional instructors and practice and master heel-toe down shifting along with threshold braking, car control, proper racing line, and a variety of other advanced driving techniques. So whether you're interested in Corvettes, Lotus', Radicals or our New Mini School, you will learn and master the techniques to make you a better, faster and safer driver all in a safe, controlled and fun environment.

Spring Mountain is located just 45 minutes from Las Vegas in Pahrump, NV. In addition to our driving schools, Spring Mountain is the home for the exclusive Club Spring Mountain, the premier private motorsports country club. While a student, you will enjoy access to members only Club amenities including the 8,000 SF club house, men and women?s locker rooms, fitness center, pool, Jacuzzi, massage therapy, racquet ball court and indoor gun range. Spring Mountain is truly a unique experience.

If you have a topic you would like to discuss, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

For more information or to sign up, visit www.RaceSpringMountain.com or call 800-391-6891

Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Zhenya13
2nd Gear
Ken,

I saw dozens of heel toe videos on youtube and read a good number of tutorials.

My problem is what to do once you blip the throttle. Once I clutch out, where should my right foot be and where should it go?

Do I let go of the break at the same time as I clutch out?

Thanks
Eugene

Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zhenya13
Ken,

I saw dozens of heel toe videos on youtube and read a good number of tutorials.

My problem is what to do once you blip the throttle. Once I clutch out, where should my right foot be and where should it go?

Do I let go of the break at the same time as I clutch out?

Thanks
Eugene
You let go of the break when you've done your turn in and are ready to exit the corner.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 PM
SpringMountain
1st Gear
Hey Eugene,

It really depends where your at in the turn. When starting out, you want to do all your braking in a straight line.

So let say your shifting from 4th down to 2nd. As you enter the brake zone, you'll press the brake, clutch in, blip the throttle as you down shift to 3rd, then let the clutch out (your right foot is still on the brake). Now your in 3rd. Next: clutch in, blip as you down shift to second 2nd, clutch out.

At this point you are near your turn in point and still on the brake. As you start to turn in, you release brake pressure and move to the gas.

All this happens quickly.

The reason most people don't shift directly from 4th to 2nd (skip 3rd), is because it requires a much bigger blip and it throws off your timing.

Hope this helps.

In case your not aware, Spring Mountain now offers the MINI Cooper Driving Academy where you can learn to drive the Mini like it's meant to be driven

If your interested, call 800-391-6891

Thanks,

Ken

Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Wow I just posted a thread asking about the MINI Performance Driving School, found it on youtube videos then googled it.
I am going to Spring Mt.at end of month. Would like to attend MINI Performance Driving School this summer.

BTW: Are the MINIs on stabe R53 or R56s?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Zhenya13
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SpringMountain
Hey Eugene,

It really depends where your at in the turn. When starting out, you want to do all your braking in a straight line.

So let say your shifting from 4th down to 2nd. As you enter the brake zone, you'll press the brake, clutch in, blip the throttle as you down shift to 3rd, then let the clutch out (your right foot is still on the brake). Now your in 3rd. Next: clutch in, blip as you down shift to second 2nd, clutch out.

At this point you are near your turn in point and still on the brake. As you start to turn in, you release brake pressure and move to the gas.

All this happens quickly.

The reason most people don't shift directly from 4th to 2nd (skip 3rd), is because it requires a much bigger blip and it throws off your timing.

Hope this helps.

In case your not aware, Spring Mountain now offers the MINI Cooper Driving Academy where you can learn to drive the Mini like it's meant to be driven

If your interested, call 800-391-6891

Thanks,

Ken
Great, this gives me a much better idea.

My problem was that I could not figure out if I should still be on the break when I clutch out.

As far as the school is concerned, I'm in Chicago and It's really hard for me to get out to Nevada because there is not such thing as a break or vacation in law school

is there a plan to come and hold school somewhere in the Chicago-land area?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:54 AM
SpringMountain
1st Gear
Eugene,

The idea behind heel-toe is to get the car in the next lower gear without upsetting the balance. In most cases you will still be braking when you let the clutch out after a down shift. You will know when you need to get back on the gas. The hard part is trying to get on the gas sooner. The sooner you can get on the gas, the faster you will be. But if you get back to the gas too soon, you will run out of track. All this is part of another topic, but it will give you some food for thought. I will soon be posting the second part of this article. It might help clarify some of this for you. If not, feel free to contact me again.

Unfortunately we don't have any plans to take the school out to Chicago (its really tough to move the track )

Seriously, we will be here when your ready. Sounds like you might need it after you take the BAR.

Good luck,

Ken