Drag Racing 1/8 and 1/4 Mile MINI Runs

drag tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 08:25 PM
88m
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drag tires

i have read some post but still not sure about drag tire for a 05.
i have a 05 with a 19% pulley, and last week i went to the track. i was not very happy with the runflats and haveing to shift into 4th at the end of the track. so i am thinking about ordering drag tires. 225/50/15 seems small for a 05 and the next size i can find is 235/60/50.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=C&RunFlat=All
it comes out to about a 26.1 diameter. is this just way to big or will it work. i dont have spring but might want some soon. i want to mount them on a 15x6.5 at 40 offset. i dont care if it is tight, i will just mount them at the track.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
26 is deffinetly too big for the HP...and unfortunately you are going to run into the problem with the gearing....while nice and fun for Auto X and that style of driving...it is no good for the drags or for big track...it's way too short...the 04 and lower trannys were deffinetly better for boosted cars....longer gear longer boost...less shifting...faster...YAY! LOL.... a rev limit raise would help no doubt...then you might be able to carry out 4th...

Old 01-20-2006, 10:15 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The BFG's are junk.

We have run them before with not much luck.

Try Mickey Thompsons.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...8&autoview=sku

We have a hard time getting them to brake loose on the Roadrunner.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 AM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you are shifting out of 4th gear before the traps i tip my hat to you... i didn't even half to do that for my 13.2 pass... so unless you are running nitrous on top of you 19% pulley you should be fine...

i run kumho v700s which are not drag tires but hook like mad as long as you do a small burnout... these things are pretty damn grippy... they are for road racing but they sure do hook at the strip... i ran an 11.6 on them in another car...

Old 01-24-2006, 08:30 AM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
The bfg drag radials with the wavy pattern hook pretty damn well! Maximus runs em! When heated properly they get good traction! On Maximus' first pass with em they hooked so hard they snapped the lower motor mount!

Old 01-25-2006, 12:30 PM
srt4_night_rider
Neutral
I would get some Mickey Thompsons they are the best, that is what i ran with at the track.

Old 01-25-2006, 03:13 PM
motorsports3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by srt4_night_rider
I would get some Mickey Thompsons they are the best, that is what i ran with at the track.
And you are....

I would definitly buy something because this guy says to. He apperantly is some sort of expert though...

There is a huge difference between some BFG drag radial and MT tires.

Oh and SRT, diaf. Nobody here cares to hear about what you have to say or how cool your NEON is with a bov.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:25 PM
srt4_night_rider
Neutral
Originally Posted by motorsports3
And you are....

I would definitly buy something because this guy says to. He apperantly is some sort of expert though...

Oh and SRT, diaf. Nobody here cares to hear about what you have to say or how cool your NEON is with a bov.
Ok well sorry you feel that my comments are not worth taking into consideration, and im not hear to talk about how fast my neon or how cool it is im hear to try and buy a mini. And to hopefully meet some people but hopefully there not all like you.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:26 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
Holy wow, hostility! Welcome to NAM srt4!

Old 01-25-2006, 10:30 PM
srt4_night_rider
Neutral
Originally Posted by mybroscoop
Holy wow, hostility! Welcome to NAM srt4!
Well im not trying to be hostile, i mean i just posted up my thoughts and was jumped on. But oh well.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:15 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
If the hostility towards a new member continues this thread may be locked. Please take the time to inquire why he thinks a certain type of tire is his choice for the strip rather than attacking him for his choice and/or current car. As he said he's interested in buying a MINI...help him with that decision rather than making him think he's tripped over a nest of bees.

Mark

Old 01-26-2006, 07:20 AM
minimc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by motorsports3
And you are....

What's up with the 'tude? Do you know this guy personally?

I don't see how owning another car, or listing it in your sig automatically makes you a troll or anti-mini.

Maybe you ought to explain your reason for posting this? Even if you do (have a reason) there are better ways to express one's self.

Good on srt4_night_rider for not escalating things.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:27 AM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
back to the tires...

are there any slicks that will fit on a MINI without having to roll the fenders?

Old 01-26-2006, 06:47 PM
isellem
5th Gear
full blown slicks? or drag radials?

also mybroscoop you said
The bfg drag radials with the wavy pattern hook pretty damn well! Maximus runs em! When heated properly they get good traction! On Maximus' first pass with em they hooked so hard they snapped the lower motor mount!

do you know what 60 foot times he was running... last i checked we were in the top 3 for 60 foot times and had no problems with that... with massive amounts of wheel hop you could actually break the motor mount on the factory run flats... it just all depends... but it is possible to break the motor mounts on drag radials... many many have dones so on other kinds of cars... but ususally its do to massive wheel hop... not the fact that the car hooked like crazy glue

Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 PM
88m
2nd Gear
so what about full blown slicks in 235/60/15 or bfg for that matter. will they fit or not. if so they are not that much more for the money and the added gear will help my 05.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:03 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
88m, coming from autocross experience with a 225/50R16 and knowing that tire barely fits in the wheel wells (it requires spacers as well), I would not think a tire with an inch more diameter, AND probably more width, has a shot at getting in there. Granted, you don't need to turn much or compress the front suspension as much, but I still doubt it.
I could be wrong, but it seems like pretty solid evidence.

Brian

Old 01-27-2006, 10:41 AM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isellem
full blown slicks? or drag radials?

also mybroscoop you said

do you know what 60 foot times he was running... last i checked we were in the top 3 for 60 foot times and had no problems with that... with massive amounts of wheel hop you could actually break the motor mount on the factory run flats... it just all depends... but it is possible to break the motor mounts on drag radials... many many have dones so on other kinds of cars... but ususally its do to massive wheel hop... not the fact that the car hooked like crazy glue
No I dont know his 60 ft times, this was on his first pass with the bfg's and by the time the motor mount got fixed it decided to
snow!

yeah I was wondering about full blown slicks.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus

yeah I was wondering about full blown slicks.
becarful with that...you may start snapping axels...use baby slicks...a full weight mini would be alot for those axels....with that much power

Old 01-27-2006, 10:54 AM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tuls
becarful with that...you may start snapping axels...use baby slicks...a full weight mini would be alot for those axels....with that much power
that's what I was thinking, he already killed a halfshaft coming back from Minnesota a couplemonths ago and he was on the stock runflats!

Old 01-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
that's what I was thinking, he already killed a halfshaft coming back from Minnesota a couplemonths ago and he was on the stock runflats!
Damn! he must hammer that thing!! GO ZAK!! LOL

like i alwasy say...if you aren't breaking stuff you aren't pushing hard enough...LOL

Old 01-27-2006, 11:15 AM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
lol

Old 01-27-2006, 12:49 PM
isellem
5th Gear
I hammer the hell out of the car... i haven't broken a half shaft... this brings me to the point of wheel hop... and wheel hop can kill just about anything... You probably aren't breaking the half shafts due to power... or too much grip... its more of technique...

Many people are first to blame the car and its components... sometimes we need to look at ourselves... Not saying that this is what happend to maxiumus mini for sure... but it is something to consider

Old 01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
I hammer the hell out of the car... i haven't broken a half shaft... this brings me to the point of wheel hop... and wheel hop can kill just about anything... You probably aren't breaking the half shafts due to power... or too much grip... its more of technique...

Many people are first to blame the car and its components... sometimes we need to look at ourselves... Not saying that this is what happend to maxiumus mini for sure... but it is something to consider
I am not sure of the situation when the halfshaft broke I wasnt there.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:32 PM
isellem
5th Gear
I am not sure of the situation when the halfshaft broke I wasnt there.
great! lets not go blaming tires just yet...

Old 01-28-2006, 08:35 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
great! lets not go blaming tires just yet...

the halfshaft broke when he was going down the highway!

Quick Reply: drag tires