Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Car washing for the non-OC

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:06 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
South, wink, wink, I get it ... know what I mean?
watch it!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Ok. I am abandoning this thread. It is the reason why the youths of today (like myself) are being corrupted.

::slams the door as he walks out::

Old 02-27-2007, 07:59 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today's yoots - just no fun.
Really though Sin, what more can you tell us about the new trim stuff? How thick, smell, colour. Did he just put on one pass then wipe it off, let it sit or what?
Hope Brendan comes back.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:04 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
yeah, any pictures? I bet OG took some "before" and "after" shots.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:16 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Hahaha. Now that the thread is back on topic (not for long I'm sure,) I will remain in the thread.

PLEASE POST PICS!!!!!!!x22222.349823 million

Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
wink, wink

Old 02-27-2007, 08:38 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, I only took after pix. I was going to do befores, but was in kind of a rush, and got distracted when the guard started questioning what I was doing and how long I would be doing it.

I'll let Ross tell you more about the product from his POV, but as for the process I used a foam applicator pad to apply it to the trim. I used Slick and a MF towel to remove the dust/dirt that was already on the trim.

His trim was in pretty good condition already, but the gel did make it noticeably darker and more consistent and during application, Ross noticed how shiny it was. Once I applid the dressing, I used another towel to wipe off any excess and that killed much of the "wet gloss". After application, the trim is dry to the touch.

Although you can use Slick and a MF towel to remove any gel that gets on the paint, for anyone that wants to be extra careful during the first application---you might apply a strip of painters tape on the paint adjacent to the trim. Subsequent applications won't need this as the trim will stay black, and you can just get close to the edge without going over.

The current incarnation of the gel is transparent purple--earlier versions are a brilliant red. I like bright colors. LOL. It's also got a sweet melon scent--good enough to eat! I'm not sure what color I will settle on--but for now, the colors are helping to differentiate product versions. The formulation I used on Ross's MINI has a slightly more gloss/wet look to it, than previous versions of the gel.

A little goes a long way--1/4 OZ is about as big as the first segment of my pinkie finger--is enough to dress all the trim on a MINI.

Because Ross's MINI was a little dirty--thanks to recent rains and dust storms--I was especially careful in applying the gel as I didn't want to scratch his paint by dragging any dirt from the paint onto my foam pad and then rubbing that back into the paint as I worked the gel in on the adjacent trim. That's why you should always dress any trim that's adjacent to painted surfaces only after the car is clean.

For reference. the trim was a similar shade of black as the tires and Ross's comment to me was that he didn't think the plastic needed any dressing until he saw what the gel did to the trim, and that now it looked brand new again.

Today's yoots - just no fun.
Really though Sin, what more can you tell us about the new trim stuff? How thick, smell, colour. Did he just put on one pass then wipe it off, let it sit or what?
Hope Brendan comes back.
Originally Posted by mini_dreams
yeah, any pictures? I bet OG took some "before" and "after" shots.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:41 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
and when can we order?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:48 PM
OctaneGuy
It will be available in the NAM store when it's ready for sale. I expect to have a limited production run ready for NAM, but worst case scenario, I will bring lots of 1/4 OZ samples to AMVIV, with those attending my classes taking priority in receiving them first. I hope to begin a sign up list by Monday March 5. I will post the announcement in the Vendor Announcements, AMVIV 4 thread, as well as here in the Detailing101 forum.

Remember, the name game comes first.

Richard

and when can we order?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Call it Bob and don't hold out on those of us that can't come to Vegas!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
OctaneGuy
Haha good point. Well, I'll be at the Dragon too.

Call it Bob and don't hold out on those of us that can't come to Vegas!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
I can only add that I did indeed think that the trim did not need that much work...I was more concerned about the trim on my wife's van due to wax "overslop"...yet was shocked how much better it looked. I hope to wash my car this weekend (forecast of "abundant sunshine"...Vegas...who knew?) and throw some Hydro on it. Probably don't really need it but I'd like to see what the trim will like after.

It did smell better...I thought fruity rather than melon but either way it was pleasant, perhaps just a bit strong but not excessively so. But since it stays on the outside that isn't a factor.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:27 PM
OctaneGuy
I agree, it is more fruity than melon smelling..I forgot to say that the actual fragrance is called melon, though that's not exactly how it smells. =)

I think I may have gotten some up Ross' nose cause I opened it to show him how it smelled without realizing he was bending over and I jabbed it into his nostrils. LOL

You can Hydro it, but I really don't think you will need to do anything other than wipe the trim down once in awhile with a dry rag to remove any dust buildup. When you wash your MINI, you can wipe the trim down with your car wash sponge/mitt as well then dry it when you dry the paint, and that should be all the maintenance you need.

Originally Posted by Sin MINI
I can only add that I did indeed think that the trim did not need that much work...I was more concerned about the trim on my wife's van due to wax "overslop"...yet was shocked how much better it looked. I hope to wash my car this weekend (forecast of "abundant sunshine"...Vegas...who knew?) and throw some Hydro on it. Probably don't really need it but I'd like to see what the trim will like like after.

It did smell better...I thought fruity rather than melon but either way it was pleasant, perhaps just a bit strong but not excessively so. But since it stays on the outside that isn't a factor.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:52 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Since I can't go to AMVIV, can I be your test subject for suffering a winter's full of salt on the trim?? ;-)

Old 02-28-2007, 05:33 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Haha good point. Well, I'll be at the Dragon too.
and some of us, I know this is shocking and others will think poorly of us, can go to neither AMVIV or MOTD . I guess we are just the dregs of the Earth, scum-sucking do-nothings that don't deserve to try out your gel. Well listen here Skankwad , our MINIs are just as mini as other's MINIs and our money is just as green too and if you choose to ignor us I predict a great uprising the likes of which have not been seen since 18th century France . Now you wouldn't want to get beheaded would you ? Utter any part of "Let them eat cake and treat their trim with Armor-All" and by Grapthar's hammer you will know the wrath of the masses ! So out with it then, share with the huddled masses, distribute to the vacationally challenged, celebrate capitalism and sell your product to all us freedom-loving Americans that can rub two coins between our fingers. You'd do it for Randolph Scott!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:47 AM
OctaneGuy
Haha interesting post. I think you guys kinda missed the post about me expecting to release the product by AMVIV? That means, that I expect to have testing finalized and some production beginning by AMVIV (about 3 weeks) so the general population may order after that. MOTD was just a tease if you wanted to see it working in person.

Richard

and some of us, I know this is shocking and others will think poorly of us, can go to neither AMVIV or MOTD . I guess we are just the dregs of the Earth, scum-sucking do-nothings that don't deserve to try out your gel. Well listen here Skankwad , our MINIs are just as mini as other's MINIs and our money is just as green too and if you choose to ignor us I predict a great uprising the likes of which have not been seen since 18th century France . Now you wouldn't want to get beheaded would you ? Utter any part of "Let them eat cake and treat their trim with Armor-All" and by Grapthar's hammer you will know the wrath of the masses ! So out with it then, share with the huddled masses, distribute to the vacationally challenged, celebrate capitalism and sell your product to all us freedom-loving Americans that can rub two coins between our fingers. You'd do it for Randolph Scott!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
...and by Grapthar's hammer you will know the wrath of the masses
Love that movie!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Oh, that soon! Are you taking preorders? Like I said before, I'm first on the list!

Old 02-28-2007, 08:13 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Haha interesting post. I think you guys kinda missed the post about me expecting to release the product by AMVIV? That means, that I expect to have testing finalized and some production beginning by AMVIV (about 3 weeks) so the general population may order after that. MOTD was just a tease if you wanted to see it working in person.

Richard
oh, never mind.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
distribute to the vacationally challenged,
you're funny... like a clown... you amuse me.

MM... just skip outta work early on Wednesday and head down to Vegas. it's only a 10 hour 30 min. drive. You can call in sick on Thurs/Fri. Come on, you know you want to.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Clowns are scary - just ask the professor!
I didn't want to add the second reason I'm choosing to skip AMVIV but here is the match to start the flames - Vegas ! Never been, never want to go. I find no redeeming qualities excusing Vegas (well except for the proximity of the Hoover dam) and I refuse to knowingly support organized crime. I've been to Reno, Carson City, heck even been to Monte Carlo so this has nothing to do with gambling, though I find it hard to wantonly toss my money down the drain in hopes that it will spit back more than I tossed. This is more about the concept of Vegas, the big picture if you will. So there, now it's out there and the Vegas crowd can start the "you can't judge us if you ain't been here" rebuttals. Just not gonna happen, sounds fun though.
Now MOTD on the other hand - too damn far for me.

Sure wish I could git me suma dat majik juice though.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 AM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
i'm no big fan of Vegas either really... last time i was there i stayed overnight and that was plenty. hopefully this will be different with all the MINIS/Minis.

end thread hijack.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Temporary hijack:

Oh, I LOVE Vegas!!!!!!!! I am a true gambler. Bring on craps, blackjack, roulette, Pai Gow poker, Texas Hold "em - you name it! Such the fun, adult playground.

And yes, I am freaking scared to death of clowns! That new movie coming out? I'm sure I will have to see it because I LOVE horror movies, the gory-er the better, but I'm sure it will give me nightmares. Where the freaky old lady is buried with her clown-like puppets?

End hijack

Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Old 02-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Sorry, I only took after pix. I was going to do befores, but was in kind of a rush, and got distracted when the guard started questioning what I was doing and how long I would be doing it.

I'll let Ross tell you more about the product from his POV, but as for the process I used a foam applicator pad to apply it to the trim. I used Slick and a MF towel to remove the dust/dirt that was already on the trim.

His trim was in pretty good condition already, but the gel did make it noticeably darker and more consistent and during application, Ross noticed how shiny it was. Once I applid the dressing, I used another towel to wipe off any excess and that killed much of the "wet gloss". After application, the trim is dry to the touch.

Although you can use Slick and a MF towel to remove any gel that gets on the paint, for anyone that wants to be extra careful during the first application---you might apply a strip of painters tape on the paint adjacent to the trim. Subsequent applications won't need this as the trim will stay black, and you can just get close to the edge without going over.

The current incarnation of the gel is transparent purple--earlier versions are a brilliant red. I like bright colors. LOL. It's also got a sweet melon scent--good enough to eat! I'm not sure what color I will settle on--but for now, the colors are helping to differentiate product versions. The formulation I used on Ross's MINI has a slightly more gloss/wet look to it, than previous versions of the gel.

A little goes a long way--1/4 OZ is about as big as the first segment of my pinkie finger--is enough to dress all the trim on a MINI.

Because Ross's MINI was a little dirty--thanks to recent rains and dust storms--I was especially careful in applying the gel as I didn't want to scratch his paint by dragging any dirt from the paint onto my foam pad and then rubbing that back into the paint as I worked the gel in on the adjacent trim. That's why you should always dress any trim that's adjacent to painted surfaces only after the car is clean.

For reference. the trim was a similar shade of black as the tires and Ross's comment to me was that he didn't think the plastic needed any dressing until he saw what the gel did to the trim, and that now it looked brand new again.

That looks great, Richard!! Nice work.

BTW, I like the idea of a transparent purple.

-Heather

Quick Reply: Car washing for the non-OC