Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Source for hard-to-find (??) foam tipped swabs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 12:58 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Source for hard-to-find (??) foam tipped swabs?

Le swab a'la Foam:
BradB, I know you have described these as having a million uses. AGranger, you have mentioned them too. So, where can I find 'em?

I searched Detailing 101 for any mention of "foam swab" and found 1-2 hits (the same ones I remembered reading in the past), that made no mention of a specific source.

I just know these swabs are VUI's (very useful items) so why are they so dang scarce? Out of stock would be one thing, but I didn't get that, just a lot of blank stares from sales clerks .

By "application", here's where I have searched so far (unsuccessfully):

Electronics/Audio:
2 Radio Shacks
Best Buy
Circuit City
Others

Pharmacy/Medical:
Wal-Mart (shhh I don't make a habit of it),
Walgreen's
CVS (CVS is the only place I found those giant 6V lantern batteries, after a different long search, made difficult because I wanted DURACELL )

Office Supplies:
Staples
Office Max

Partial credit to Office Max - they have digital cam cleaning kits for 9 bucks a pop, that include TWO measly foam tipped swabs, I took a pass.

They also sell pkgs of 20 foil wrapped, "pre-moistened" swabs for 10 bucks each, took another pass). I suppose if I was a mouse-ball, I would appreciate the pre-moistened aspects but for trim work, aint there any less expensive non-moistened alternatives?

THanks for letting me vent, gang. Going to all those places, I DID manage to find about a C-Note's worth of stuff I didn't even know I needed, so it wasn't a total wash but alas, no swabs.

Tatt

Old 05-19-2005, 01:49 PM
atlminis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try eastwood.com

Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get swabs at a few places in bulk. Much better deals than buying them from detailing places

Swabs1

Swabs 2

Swabs3

I also like Medical Swabs that you get at the pharmacy for a couple bucks a box. They come on a 6" stick.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Am I a pariah for using good ol' Q-tips when in need of an automotive swab?

Old 05-19-2005, 02:19 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Am I a pariah for using good ol' Q-tips when in need of an automotive swab?
Yes.

Get some medical swabs at least. They are like Q-Tips on steroids. Bigger head and 6" stick. Cheap, too.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:49 PM
tattman23
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BradB
...I also like Medical Swabs that you get at the pharmacy for a couple bucks a box. They come on a 6" stick.
Firstly, thanks again very much to all for the suggestions.

I quoted BB because all along, I have expected to find the silly things at "the pharmacy", but still can't find one that carries them. Can you name a name? I'll be checking the independents if there are still any of those around.

As for the terrific links, I will probably bite on one of those bulk deals .

That reminds me, we have a neato local store called "AS&S" (American Science & Surplus) that I completely forgot about! Just even BROWSing in there, is a good time, so probably a mini road trip is in order. Let me know if you need new optics for your telescope, or some GIANT magnets, I'll pick 'em up :smile:.

BTW, those Kensington swabs are the same pre-moistened ones that I found at Office Max. 20 swabs for 10 bucks didn't seem so good, (and the website has them for $12.50)!. Plus I couldn't find info on the packaging that described precisely what they're moistened with .

I don't like the way Q-Tips unravel once you've soaked them with stuff, and then leave their lint behind with "vigorous" use. They ARE a great idea though, right up there with Post-It Notes and paper clips.

Gratefully,
Tatt

Old 05-19-2005, 06:37 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The only "swabs" in my big post are probably there because BradB had a lot of input on that "Detailed Detailing Process" thread.

I am a big fan of the cheapo foam 'paintbrushes' that you can buy at any painting supply store, Home Depo, Ace, Lowes, etc... They are invaluable for engine detailing. You just spray your rubber/plastic dressing on the foam and paint on... no need to spray directly at the component and splatter it everywhere!

Old 05-20-2005, 05:20 AM
BradB
6th Gear
The pharmacy I get mine at is an independant, maybe that's the difference. And there is a local medical supply place close to me that sells things to doctors and clinics (everything from knee braces to wheelchairs) and they have them as well.

Maybe it's time to hit the Yellow Pages? Sorry your having such an ordeal finding them, but they are worth the look!

Old 05-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Hey tattman, are you looking for these?
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...=14&search.y=8

Old 05-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Are you looking in the makeup departments at the stores? They are applicators of some kind. I get them at Meijers for like 99 cents a dozen.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:07 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
I really DO "RTFM", just not the phone book!

Originally Posted by PARTSMAN109
Hey tattman, are you looking for these?
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...=14&search.y=8
I have silver V-Spokes and I clean them with wheel cleaner spritz and those cheapo microfiber towels (yay, I found a use for them that doesn't involve contact with paint!). But, to apply Meguiar's #40 to the skinny rubber trim around the belt-line, what I want is more like this:

http://www.absolutesci.com/shopexd.asp?id=22356 - or like this:

http://www.absolutesci.com/shopexd.asp?id=22355

Originally Posted by BRADB
Maybe it's time to hit the Yellow Pages? Sorry your having such an ordeal finding them, but they are worth the look!
...Yes, you have pegged me for the lazy bum I am . As usual, NAM is like a much more efficient Yellow Pages. To tell the truth, I pat myself on the back for actually KNOWing the location of the phone books in my house . They are usually hauled out when I lose track of a business card.

I initially thought one trip to the corner store would be the end of it. This turned out OK though.

Originally Posted by agranger
I am a big fan of the cheapo foam 'paintbrushes' that you can buy at any painting supply store, Home Depo, Ace, Lowes, etc... They are invaluable for engine detailing. You just spray your rubber/plastic dressing on the foam and paint on... no need to spray directly at the component and splatter it everywhere!
That is brilliant, and that's exactly what I do (see, I'm not a complete sponge ). You can use the Dollar Store ones too, though they are pretty useless for applying actual paint . But, that's another story - I learned by experience that painting projects are FAR more satisfying if you stick to using top of the line tools/supplies.

I like the "chiseled" tips on some of the foam brushes - you can really get stuff INto grooves and tight spaces, and feel like you're not merely doing a superficial job.

Anywho, we can close this case if need be. You guys hooked me up like always,

Edit: Squirlz that is something I should have THOUGHT of, thank you.
Tatt

Last edited by tattman23; 05-20-2005 at 07:10 AM. Reason: saw Squirlz's post after I uploaded