Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Eliminate water spots with this weird trick

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:45 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Eliminate water spots with this weird trick

Sorry for the title, I couldn't resist. Seen too many clickbait ads.

My R56S is Chili Red and shows dirt easily, so I wash it often. I was having horrible problems with water spots until I figured out a simple way to eliminate them. I was coming home from the weekend Costco run, it was a beautiful day and I was thinking "I should wash the car. But preventing all the water spots is a pain!" I had tried the usual stuff - leaving the soap on until the entire car was washed, rinsing and drying one section at a time, etc. but it was never completely effective. Then I had a "lightbulb" moment - one of the Costco purchases was a giant bottle of Jet Dry rinse aid for the dishwasher. I figured it worked for getting the glassware dry, why not the car?

I washed the car as usual and left it soapy until it was all done. Then I got the hose attachment for spraying liquid fertilizer from the garage. I put a couple of ounces of Jet Dry in the liquid container and filled the rest with water so the resulting mix was a very pale blue. I found that I only needed to draw only a tiny amount per gallon of water, I adjusted the sprayer until the rinse water on the car didn't show any bubbles. Then I rinsed the car one section at a time, starting with the roof, and dried it with microfiber towels. I use two - one to get most of the water off, a second to do the final dry. Using the Jet Dry rinse aid, the car almost dries itself - I was amazed at how well it worked. I have been using Jet Dry for over a year now with no effect on the paint, trim, or rubber door seals.

This is the fastest way to get the car rinsed and dried without spots - I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 AM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting indeed. I have a leaf blower stored in the shed that hardly got used until now. Gets most of the water blown off, great for the front/rear honeycomb grills, wheels/lugs but still having to wipe dry the door jams.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:32 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I leave it wet and then drive REALLY,REALLY FAST.
Try it.You'll have fun.
ISAMIN

Old 04-30-2017, 04:41 PM
squawSkiBum
Originally Posted by isamin
I leave it wet and then drive REALLY,REALLY FAST.
Try it.You'll have fun.
ISAMIN
I tried that and ended up with water streaks instead of water spots. Maybe I didn't drive fast enough.

seriously, try this, especially if you have a black or red car.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:44 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Many people use White Vinegar instead of the chemicals in Jet Dry. Might be worth a test. Also using a water filter to remove minerals works very well.

Congrats on getting the big bucks for being a MOD.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Many people use White Vinegar instead of the chemicals in Jet Dry. Might be worth a test. Also using a water filter to remove minerals works very well.

You have a spelling mistake, its big BUTTS not BUCKS. Butts like in hitting your head against the door.

I use the leaf blower method than a wipe down with microfiber.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Scarlet is Chili Red, after she gets washed, I just spray wax her. No spots, and she looks Good...

Old 05-01-2017, 03:11 PM
squawSkiBum
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I think the only job that pays less and is appreciated less than being an AYSO referee is being a forum mod...and I'm both. What does that say about me... don't answer that.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 PM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I use a water deionizer. Wash it and walk. Drys spot free.

I used to blow and towel dry, but I've got 4 vehicles and a motorcycle, I was always spending so much time cleaning. This at least saves me a bunch of time cause I dont need to dry.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:31 PM
squawSkiBum
I know there's other ways to accomplish the same thing. White vinegar is great for taking spots off, the problem is it will strip the wax. So far as I can tell Jet Dry doesn't. Deionizers are nice, but Jet Dry is a lot cheaper and no maintenance. I can mix a gallon jug of diluted "rinse aid" that will last all year and costs pennies. I do use my air compressor to blast the water out of the grille.

however you do it, motor on - spotlessly.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:04 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Water spots left after washing a car are mineral deposits found in tap water, left after evaporation....If you just pick up a airless sprayer ( pump style ) and fill it with distilled water. You can spray the car down after washing it giving it a good rinse and that will leave the car spotless as well.

Poland Spring sells gallons of distilled water and home depot sell airless pump sprayers from 15 dollars to 28 dollars for an 80 psi unit.

Havent tried the white vinegar yet....

Old 05-13-2017, 08:47 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Water spots left after washing a car are mineral deposits found in tap water, left after evaporation....If you just pick up a airless sprayer ( pump style ) and fill it with distilled water. You can spray the car down after washing it giving it a good rinse and that will leave the car spotless as well.

Poland Spring sells gallons of distilled water and home depot sell airless pump sprayers from 15 dollars to 28 dollars for an 80 psi unit.

Havent tried the white vinegar yet....
The distilled water approach is always a fantastic idea. Extremely cost effective and works wonders. I've honestly been lazy and even when I have a hose and water available, I'll add a capful or so of optimum no rinse as a water softener (bit of a misnomer) but it does keep the water from pooling up without adding extra steps and doesn't require a spray wax which could just be a waste if you intended to move on to polishing, etc.