Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Xpel Ultimate install gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 AM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xpel Ultimate install gone bad?

We've gotten Jane, our 2017 f55 new addition to our family and being that we've never spent more than $17K for a car tells you how this purchase has made us more aware of taking care or our new baby.

We, well, I decided to get a clear bra Xcel Ultimate done on the bumper and hood. Here's some pictures of what I think is a bad install, mind you, this is 4 days after the install and after one visit to trim a whole lot of film from the hood edges and watnots. Yikes! I've already told the installer of my displeasure once during the 1st trim he'd done pointing out the problems. Not once did he acknowledge the workmanship problems but eluded to if there are waves of sorts under the film he'd set me up to redo the hood. But it's not only on the hood but the bumpers as well! I know from what was relayed to me that the next day after the initial install they discovered a whole lot of film lifted and that my pick up time was delayed till evening. Now, it's sinking into my brain of the problems the installer faced and maybe why I have so much bad work on Jane. Oh My!

In this pic, you can see there was a huge bubble in which it looks like the installer has cut part of it out.

I will post more pics soon of the problems I've located so far. Once you spot a problem you always look for more and there's more, trust me.

Last edited by Paul S.; 01-19-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
here are 2 pics of different locations at the windshield end of the bonnet's chrome trim:

but there's more How could you as a certified Xpel Installer send a customer home twice with a product application as this. And again not even mentioning some workmanship problems even though the film could have been defective causing him to have these problems getting the film down?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
here's a picture of a seam on the bumper, not in the middle but on the driver side:

My guess is that he had a problem with the install on that section and needed to do a repair replacing only partial of that bumper section.

there's more fingers and small creases, also there was a pizza slice cut on the driver side hood top corner that I presume he had stretched to cover up the film shift as was explained to me during the 2nd visit.

I've given the installer a call yesterday for a chat buy he never called back, prolly not wanting to talk to me until 2 weeks after the install to see where we at with this SAD install.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Lots of people doing installs that don't know how. Just went through this with vinyl wrap. Best to let MINI dealer do this and pay the extra costs involved, then if you don't like it you walk away from buying car.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:37 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There isn't a chance in hell I would accept this.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Yeah no way. That is pitiful

Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
Yeah, not only in not accepting the outcome of the job but not giving the installer a 2nd chance to correct the entire install. Definitely shoddy work.

But I must say close up pics really make the problems more visible, yes, no matter what it's still a bad install and am getting very to get this resolved.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:14 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
No matter how close they are, if an edge is up, it will only grow and get dirt behind it.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
Yes, that picture of the bubble cut at the fog lights is already dirty with dust as you can in my pic.

as an update, since I got no call back from the installer this morning I've contacted Xcel Service support with pictures of the problems via email and they've responded in kind stating that it's not up to their standards and has informed the person in charge of handling these types of cases to help me, hopefully. I pray Xcel can remedy this problem.

I will update if there's anything more to add

Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
on another note. I feel this industry as like the window tinting business have come to the point where they'll try to get away with what they can. They know their products, they know what to look for but they won't pass a flaw they see unto a customer. As a customer you have to be knowing and willing to fight for your satisfaction but as doing that it puts me/you in a spot where you'd be knit picking every possible flaw that you could see with your bare eyes.

My Xpel problems are real eye openers for even myself who knew nothin much on PPF's and the results of the install. In my eyes the installer tried to get away with the poor work and today has a bad attitude not wanting to do some PR and face up to his poor job. It discusts me! Thank you all for letting me rant here.

Last edited by Paul S.; 01-19-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow that's beyond poor. I hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 PM
one2three_us
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, that's really bad. That's worse than me doing it myself. Hopefully Xpel can somehow get you a refund and refer you to someone more qualified

Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
Ok, worked out problem with installer. Thank you Lord!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:05 AM
XPEL_Ben
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul S.
We've gotten Jane, our 2017 f55 new addition to our family and being that we've never spent more than $17K for a car tells you how this purchase has made us more aware of taking care or our new baby.

We, well, I decided to get a clear bra Xcel Ultimate done on the bumper and hood. Here's some pictures of what I think is a bad install, mind you, this is 4 days after the install and after one visit to trim a whole lot of film from the hood edges and watnots. Yikes! I've already told the installer of my displeasure once during the 1st trim he'd done pointing out the problems. Not once did he acknowledge the workmanship problems but eluded to if there are waves of sorts under the film he'd set me up to redo the hood. But it's not only on the hood but the bumpers as well! I know from what was relayed to me that the next day after the initial install they discovered a whole lot of film lifted and that my pick up time was delayed till evening. Now, it's sinking into my brain of the problems the installer faced and maybe why I have so much bad work on Jane. Oh My!

In this pic, you can see there was a huge bubble in which it looks like the installer has cut part of it out.

I will post more pics soon of the problems I've located so far. Once you spot a problem you always look for more and there's more, trust me.
I saw that your installer has worked it out for you, but if there is anything else, please let us know. I just saw the alert and joined to make sure that it is taken care of correctly. If you'd like send us an email at marketing@xpel.com

Old 02-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Paul S.
2nd Gear
XPEL Benn,

thank you for the response and offering your help to remedy this. I had reached out to Xpel and found your customer service to be outstanding in this matter. Although Xpel was at my side to remedy this at the time, I didn't need to go the whole 10 yards to get a satisfactory result. The installer offered to re-do the entire installation and he has taken care of us to our satisfaction.

here's my take with this installation, I inquired and asked the installer if the edges would be wrapped over with Xpel when possible and I gather he understood what I was looking for in the installation but the end result was not what I thought to be acceptable. The installer offered to reinstall without edge wrap in which I assume being the pre-cut design kit of sorts.

Not having done Xpel or for that matter any wrap work prior we were clueless what the end results would be. I really appreciated Xpel's timely response to my concern and having your representative able and ready to help us.

I must say Xpel is a good company where an end user gets treated well in a timely manner.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Smart move. Keeping it away from the harsh edges will help tremendously.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:23 AM
prestigeautopolishing
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul S.
here's my take with this installation, I inquired and asked the installer if the edges would be wrapped over with Xpel when possible and I gather he understood what I was looking for in the installation but the end result was not what I thought to be acceptable. The installer offered to reinstall without edge wrap in which I assume being the pre-cut design kit of sorts.
In DAP there are options for your edges to be extended by a given amount, allowing the installer to have his wrapped edges pre-cut in the kit just because you wanted your edges wrapped doesnt mean he should have seams in the middle of a panel... im really confused as to how this installer thought this was an acceptable job... do you mind me asking what he charged? Was the installer XPEL factory trained?