Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

OctaneGuy: Black 2001 Lexus ES300 Restore Horror!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:43 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OctaneGuy: Black 2001 Lexus ES300 Restore Horror!!

This black Lexus ES300 is the second car from the same client. They had previously brought me a silver Mercedes and were extremely happy with the results, so they wondered if anything could be done to this car.

So here it is before washing it

I washed the car inside my shop using 100% distilled water.

After washing with Meguiar's Hyper Wash, I clayed using Meguiar's C2000 clay

While inspecting the paint, it was obvious a lot of work was going to be needed

What do you think, can this paint be saved???

On my lift

Up close

Polishing test on hood

My assistant Stephanie tackled the interior while I worked the exterior

Look at the trunk lid

50/50 Polish test

Huge Improvement

After all the paint was polished using my Flex VRG3401, I rinsed the paint with distilled water and my Kranzle pressure washer

My 60 gallon water tank that holds distilled water that is generated daily at my shop using a commercial water distiller for 0ppm water.

Clean now but still needs polishing with Amigo and waxing with Epic

Blowing water from the crevices

Wiping it down

Cleaning with Pre-Wow

Epic has been applied

Final shots the next day

The paint isn't flawless but was greatly improved. So much that I had parked the car in front of the shop and the customer drove up with his wife in their Mercedes. He walked right past the Lexus not realizing it was his. I told him that was HIS car, and he was blown away. His eyes lit up, his jaw dropped, and he was giddy. Considering the owner is a very conservative first generation Korean man, I found it quite refreshing seeing him being so expressive, lol. Products used were Meguiar's M105 compound, Prima Swirl, Slick, and Epic. Main polishing tool was the Flex, although I used the 7424XP and Makita Rotary at first before settling on the Flex as the best tool for the job.

See it on FaceBook with comments

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 01-12-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:41 AM
C H I C K L E T
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know you are Asian! Me too!

Awesome save on the Lexus. Its sad that people let their nice cars get that way. The flex is an awesome tool! In the right hands, it can do magic.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
rotary usage?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 PM
OctaneGuy
Flex VRG3401 forced rotation random orbital. I started using a 7424XP and my Makita rotary, but this job was on the "cheap" and I needed to use as few steps as possible, and that dictated using LC Purple Foamed Wool and Meguiar's M105 compound with the Flex to clear up the paint, but 105 is a big dust mess when polishing with it which is why I opted to wash it before going to Amigo and Epic.

I usually use a wool pad on my rotary with M105, but that requires I do follow up work with a PC to remove buffer trails and holograms which takes extra time, uses up more pads (Lexus paint is tinted and acts like single stage), and means more paint removal.

Richard
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
rotary usage?
Heh heh cool. Yep, the Lexus was a complete mess inside and out! I haven't been a big fan of the Flex, but after several years, I'm starting to love it. =)

Originally Posted by C H I C K L E T
I didn't know you are Asian! Me too!

Awesome save on the Lexus. Its sad that people let their nice cars get that way. The flex is an awesome tool! In the right hands, it can do magic.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM
MC2005s
3rd Gear
Whoa!!! That's insane how much better it looked, brand new! I'm takin my coop up to you when it gets bad

I have a question, my headlights are becoming ... not hazy but a little pitted and getting some small discoloration on it. not yellow or anything, but not as clear as they once were. I have heard some stuff about clay bars and using them on headlights, infact the shop who repainted my hood a few months back got some overspray on the headlight and used a clay bar to get it off. didn't look too bad.

if i wanted to try and use a clay bar, what do you recommend? are there different kinds? and will it leave fine scratches everywhere?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 AM
OctaneGuy
Please don't let your MINI get that bad! You can only fix this type of damage once, and it isn't possible to get it 100% corrected.

Claybar just removes bonded contaminants. So overspray is easily removed with claybar. However road rash, and discoloration due to the UV protection failing, are not things that claybar can improve.

You would have to polish them to improve them.

My favorite clay is the Meguiar's C2000 clay.
http://showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=116&bc=no

It's a professional clay but it's easy to use, and safe for consumer use. I only sell in my store the products that I use personally. You won't find a wide variety of clays because in my mind, a clay that is sticky, or transfers colors to my fingers, or requires gloves, or is too hard to knead, etc... aren't products I want to use or sell. There is only one clay that outperforms the rest and that's the Meguiar's C2000 mild clay.

Richard
Originally Posted by MC2005s
Whoa!!! That's insane how much better it looked, brand new! I'm takin my coop up to you when it gets bad

I have a question, my headlights are becoming ... not hazy but a little pitted and getting some small discoloration on it. not yellow or anything, but not as clear as they once were. I have heard some stuff about clay bars and using them on headlights, infact the shop who repainted my hood a few months back got some overspray on the headlight and used a clay bar to get it off. didn't look too bad.

if i wanted to try and use a clay bar, what do you recommend? are there different kinds? and will it leave fine scratches everywhere?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 AM
eldontxo
2nd Gear
Amazing job! And you answered a question I had about clay before I even asked. Thanks R.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 AM
eldontxo
2nd Gear
Richard,
I need a bit of your pro advice. The hood gets so hot on my car that I'm worried about rain spots baking on when I'm not somewhere to dry it. Been meaning to clay & detail, but really need to do the hood pronto cause it's buggin' me. If I get Meguiars clay at Kragen auto supply, can you suggest an over the counter polish/wax that I might find there as well? I've been meaning to read the threads to see what's best, but just want to protect the hood now before I dig in. Thanks!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM
OctaneGuy
You will get the long lasting results from a synthetic. So if you're looking for strictly over the counter products from your local auto supply store, get some Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0. My favorite products are Prima but they are only available via mail order.

Epic wax
http://showcarsupplies.com/shopexd.asp?id=67&bc=no

Originally Posted by eldontxo
Richard,
I need a bit of your pro advice. The hood gets so hot on my car that I'm worried about rain spots baking on when I'm not somewhere to dry it. Been meaning to clay & detail, but really need to do the hood pronto cause it's buggin' me. If I get Meguiars clay at Kragen auto supply, can you suggest an over the counter polish/wax that I might find there as well? I've been meaning to read the threads to see what's best, but just want to protect the hood now before I dig in. Thanks!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:54 PM
BlckJCWGhst
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Very very Nice

Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
mini44
4th Gear
OG, that lift must be a real backsaver. Great writeup

Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks!!!
Originally Posted by BlckJCWGhst
Very very Nice
Thanks! Yes, it's my second lift in two months, lol. My first lift was air powered (Herkules) and worked great for smaller cars. I bought it used and realized just how much better I felt after working. Soon I realized my new 60 gallon air compressor was still too small for it to lift cars heavier than 3,000 pounds, so I was forced to buy the lift I wanted in the first place, a hydraulic one, but felt was too expensive (Atlas TDM6R). Cost me nearly $3,000 with the install, but after doing two major restores in the same week, my back wasn't even sore at all. A huge change from years of detailing normally on the ground.

I won't work without a lift anymore. It's not just me getting spoiled, it's a health requirement.

Originally Posted by mini44
OG, that lift must be a real backsaver. Great writeup
New Lift

Old shop lift (for sale!) needs a decent air source..60 gal minimum for lifting a MINI and larger for over 3,000 pounds.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 01-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 AM
eldontxo
2nd Gear
Thanks for the help R! Eldon

Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
So did you at least wash the lone bedroom slipper?

Old 01-15-2011, 05:14 PM
OctaneGuy
Haha naw that would have been extra, lol.

Originally Posted by Melangell
So did you at least wash the lone bedroom slipper?

Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
imjac1
1st Gear
I have a carbon fiber hood and trunk with oxidation, it doesnt even have that nice shine from when i bought the car. Do you have any suggestions or do you offer any services that could help?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM
OctaneGuy
Carbon fiber can be polished. I'm assume this isn't a dry weave, since it was originally shiny. You can try with a PC, or I can do it if you're in/near the OC.

Richard

Originally Posted by imjac1
I have a carbon fiber hood and trunk with oxidation, it doesnt even have that nice shine from when i bought the car. Do you have any suggestions or do you offer any services that could help?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
imjac1
1st Gear
Well i can drive to the OC its not too far, do you know how much for hood and trunk?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:32 PM
imjac1
1st Gear
Or maybe i just need to get the whole car detailed... but im not really worried about the interior.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 PM
OctaneGuy
Good idea! I was just about to suggest it. Without having seen the car, I would normally charge by the hour $75/hr. And would guess 2 to 3 hours which would be in the $150-$200 range. Or just do my super discounted MINI special Complete Paint Polishing for $300.

Whether you are worried about the interior or not, my Complete details address everything, from the engine bay to perfecting the paint. Nobody does a better MINI detail than me. Since 2003, I've buffed more MINIs than anybody, and as as owner, I know the ins and outs of the them.

That's my 2cents.

Richard

Well i can drive to the OC its not too far, do you know how much for hood and trunk?
Or maybe i just need to get the whole car detailed... but im not really worried about the interior.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 PM
imjac1
1st Gear
This isnt for my mini though, its actually for my old car im trying to sell. A 2000 honda civic si.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 PM
OctaneGuy
Oh ok, np. Well PM me and we can talk about a price.

Richard

This isnt for my mini though, its actually for my old car im trying to sell. A 2000 honda civic si.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:03 PM
MINI Kapone
2nd Gear
Outstanding job.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks!!! If you like my work, please consider voting me for here. It's free, and I need as many votes as I can get. Although I am currently in 2nd place, the contest combined washing cars and detailing into the same category so currently 1st place is a cheap car wash and lube place!

http://oc.cityvoter.com/showcardetailing-com/biz/511898

Originally Posted by MINI Kapone
Outstanding job.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM
3pedalMINI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is stunning! great job....BTW: im in jersey but voted for you!

Quick Reply: OctaneGuy: Black 2001 Lexus ES300 Restore Horror!!