Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Black Wow questions....am I doing something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Wow questions....am I doing something wrong?

Hi Everyone!

Let me first state that I have NEVER used BW before, so I am NOT bashing the product AT ALL....I just need a few pointers!

1. I applied the BW to my 2005.5 VW Jetta TDI's black plastic areas PRIOR to washing.
2. I used a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water to clean the plastic areas thoroughly prior to application of BW.
3. I used my air compressor "blow gun" accessory to ensure all moisture was gone.
4. I used a yellow foam applicator pad (new) and a sesame seed size spot.
5. Worked the BW into the areas....a little goes a LONG LONG WAY!
6. Waited about an hour (this may be my problem) and washed the car.

When the car was done being washed and dried, I noticed that there were areas that appeared as though NO black wow was applied.

Would it hurt to go over it again now with the BW?
Will it eventually "even out" with multiple applications?

For my wife's new Clubbie S (one month old) can I apply the BW to the plastic trim and allow it to sit overnight and then drive around? I know Richard (OctaneGuy) has stated that it is good to wash after application, but I was wondering if it would do any "harm" to have it on there and let it "soak" for a long time until the next wash (probably on Sunday so it would be on for 72 hours or so). I am very careful in my application and will be using both the laminated BW application card and my trusty blue painter's tape, so getting it on the paint is not an issue for me.

Some observations:

I LOVE THE SMELL OF THE BW!!!!!
The areas that the BW "absorbed" into are simply amazing!!!! I never realized just how greyed out my trim was on the Jetta!
Application is EXTREMELY easy and a little bit goes A LONG LONG WAY!

Appreciate the suggestions....I am now a Black Wow convert (to me it looks a great deal better than my trusty Aerospace 303).

Regards,

Mike

Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use BW after I wash. It'll even out if you add another coat. And washing after isn't required, it's just suggested to get rid of the shiney-ness.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I highly recommend either washing the MINI after the application of BW or let it soak for several days before driving.

If you do neither, you'll find you have a nice, thick layer of dust and dirt on your black trim.

While BW is great at restoring weathered and faded plastic trim, it is a magnet for the above mentioned nasty stuff.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its your very first app of BW and your trim is faded very badly, use a rich application (potato sized ) and let it sit over night before you wash the car.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:02 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's only a magnet during the first application. I say put on a moderate amount, wait a week to do your wash, and it won't be a magnet anymore. And no you won't have to reapply so it doesn't become a magnet again.

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
I highly recommend either washing the MINI after the application of BW or let it soak for several days before driving.

If you do neither, you'll find you have a nice, thick layer of dust and dirt on your black trim.

While BW is great at restoring weathered and faded plastic trim, it is a magnet for the above mentioned nasty stuff.
As I've mentioned in the past, "the wash after application" was the old method before I came out with the Trim Masking cards. It's not necessary and I've found that it had the potential to reduce durability especially if it's your first application. And yes cumulative applications are indeed desirable. Look at this thread below..it has all the answers to your question.

In regards to your disappearing Black Wow, please read this link
http://www.showcardetailing.com/foru...ead.php?t=1579

By the way, I'll be posting a new updated application video on the next week or so...just trying to find a good subject.

Thanks for the review!!!

Richard

Originally Posted by Mike1968NM
Hi Everyone!

Let me first state that I have NEVER used BW before, so I am NOT bashing the product AT ALL....I just need a few pointers!
6. Waited about an hour (this may be my problem) and washed the car.

When the car was done being washed and dried, I noticed that there were areas that appeared as though NO black wow was applied.

Would it hurt to go over it again now with the BW?
Will it eventually "even out" with multiple applications?

For my wife's new Clubbie S (one month old) can I apply the BW to the plastic trim and allow it to sit overnight and then drive around? I know Richard (OctaneGuy) has stated that it is good to wash after application, but I was wondering if it would do any "harm" to have it on there and let it "soak" for a long time until the next wash (probably on Sunday so it would be on for 72 hours or so). I am very careful in my application and will be using both the laminated BW application card and my trusty blue painter's tape, so getting it on the paint is not an issue for me.

Some observations:

I LOVE THE SMELL OF THE BW!!!!!
The areas that the BW "absorbed" into are simply amazing!!!! I never realized just how greyed out my trim was on the Jetta!
Application is EXTREMELY easy and a little bit goes A LONG LONG WAY!

Appreciate the suggestions....I am now a Black Wow convert (to me it looks a great deal better than my trusty Aerospace 303).

Regards,

Mike

Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Thanks Folks!

Well the 1st application to the Mini will be done tomorrow...just toooooo dang tired tonight. I will let you all know how it comes out.

My only dilemna now is how to apply it in the edging that goes around the roof of the car. It has the "Groove" so that water goes out the rear of the car so that is going to be a bit tough.

Thanks for the link to the thread Richard! I do like this stuff! VERY easy to apply as far as the product goes...the nooks and crannies are a pain in the butt though but that has nothing to do with BW and everything to do with the car!

Regards,

Mike

EDIT: I was using the yellow foam applicator for the BW. I wrote BW on one side with a sharpie so that I always know which applicator is just for BW. I am going to try the Microfiber route tomorrow and dedicate a couple of smaller ones for just BW and will see how the application goes. I think MF will be easier to use in the areas where I have to get near the paint even though I am using the trim applicator card as well.

Last edited by Mike1968NM; 06-18-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For small areas a finger application is appropriate. You can also use a Q-Tip or the edge of a blue skinny.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Mike1968NM
3rd Gear
Q-tip may be the best way to go! I have used them before when applying 303 in small areas...thanks for the reminder!!!!