Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

safe scrub bug and tar sponge any one used it before?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:47 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
safe scrub bug and tar sponge any one used it before?

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/saf-scrub.html

I ordered one of these from the above link and well... it's extremely hard. Like the edges are sharp enough to cause bleeding if i were to rub it against my arm...

thoughts?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like the same one that I use from Pinnacle (edit: yep! it's the same one)

It's WONDERFUL! It does a great job to remove bugs and will not scatch your paint; my mini is jet black and I've never had a problem with it causing damage, especially on my repainted hood which has a extremely soft clear coat. Works great on the mirrors and windshield as well.

Protip #1: Cut it into 3rds or 4ths. They wear out over time and you don't need the whole thing to get the job done. You get more for your buck that way.

Protip #2: use light pressure the same way you use microfiber towels. many light and fast strokes (lol) are better than a few hard ones.

Protip #3: wash the area with your normal mitt first. If it didn't remove the bug try the scrub pad. If it still didn't come off, hit it with a concentrated cleaner like Stoners tarminator or Poor boys bug squash and repeat.

Highly recommend them! They will soften up as you use them, and once they start to deteriorate and flake off throw it away (that's why I say cut it into pieces).

edit: Protip #4: DO NOT WASH THEM! once it's done its job, just rub it on your grit gaurd or rinse it off to get the bugs, etc. off. If you wash it it will flake off and get all in your microfiber towels (and reduce it's life greatly). I spent hours picking yellow stuff out of my towels.

Last edited by Darkness; 05-29-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:51 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great! thanks for the tips! first thing i'm going to do is cut them into 4 pieces

Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Mark C.
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got one of those exact same ones last week. It is probably the best detailing product I have ever bought! A light rub and every bug is gone in seconds I love it!

I am planning to keep mine in one piece b/c it fits nicely in my hand, and you can always turn it and use any of the six sides.