Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Favorite Wax

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Favorite Wax

I spent the whole morning waxing my Mini and was just wondering what everyone's favorite wax is. I use Meguiar's...

Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 PM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have tried the new Ice form Turtle wax. I like it.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
manifest
3rd Gear
Zaino for me.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
That paint protection package that I paid for from Mini sucks. It creates lots of dust when you're buffing off the dry wax. I've tried Turtle Wax too and that creates almost zero dust but it doesn't last as long.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM
drewster
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waxed with Pinnacle Souveran yesterday. I've had a jar of it for a while and the last time i used it was on a red S2000. I just love the look of carnauba on a red or black car.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewster
Waxed with Pinnacle Souveran yesterday. I've had a jar of it for a while and the last time i used it was on a red S2000. I just love the look of carnauba on a red or black car.
You're right about the carnauba wax on red, I just used Meguair's Deep Crystal Carauba wax and I was impressed. I'll use it on my Jeep next weekend, hope it makes the blue paint look deeper.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:10 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Thread moved to Detailing 101

Old 03-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use Zymol.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:09 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
M21 or Epic
Both give outstanding results.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:13 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Zaino for sealant, and I still love it, but since you asked wax, i say P21S

Old 03-02-2008, 07:14 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
There is a little company here in Denver called Detailers Paradise , I'm sure nobody has heard of them, but they sell a wax called Prima Epic or something like that. Its synthetic and lasts for like 5 months even in our climate. I also understand that they sell a variety of car care products that are well worth the money and are top-notch.
Or so I've been told. Maybe you can find a post or two about their products here on NAM.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
carsbillmini
1st Gear
Griots - Best Show Wax
Use Goits Polish #1 first followed by Griots Best Show Wax for depth and clarity - took a second and a first in Concors Car Show

Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 PM
bryanmsi
1st Gear
Zaino

Nothing lasts longer or shines more - when Guru Reports tested 26 waxes and sealants Zaino (the old formula Zanio, too) came out WAY ahead. I use it on my Porsche and have won 2 first place in concours with it and I can attest to how long it lasts.

It also has the unique trait of leaving no white residue on trim or other body pieces and is extremely easy to put on and off.

The same report concluded that P21S was the best traditional wax.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:56 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why somebody considers their wax a favorite is a personal choice. If it works well for you that's great! If you won some awards, that's a testament to your ability to make your car look great, and also deserves a congrats.

But a "wax" not leaving white residue is not a unique trait, nor is the fact it's easy to put on or take off. And as for nothing lasting longer or looking better--sorry, that's debatable too. Those online reports are meaningless. The durability of any wax is going to be highly dependent on environment as well as how their cars are maintained--whether the car is garaged or not, frequency of washings, and washing techniques, etc..

Personally I haven't entered any contests, so I can't claim to have won any awards for my work. But I do know that I get good results from Prima Car Care products, and I did get a little mention in the Porsche community in the January 2008 issue of the Panorama for Croctoberfest.

Here's some examples of Before and Afters

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Sorry no good Befores on this one, so just Afters

These pictures speak for themselves. These were polished using Prima polishes and Epic Wax.

Richard

Originally Posted by bryanmsi
Nothing lasts longer or shines more - when Guru Reports tested 26 waxes and sealants Zaino (the old formula Zanio, too) came out WAY ahead. I use it on my Porsche and have won 2 first place in concours with it and I can attest to how long it lasts.

It also has the unique trait of leaving no white residue on trim or other body pieces and is extremely easy to put on and off.

The same report concluded that P21S was the best traditional wax.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 AM
army scope jockey
1st Gear
Sonax polish and waxes. German waxes for German cars.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 AM
bryanmsi
1st Gear
Did you read the test?

As you noted, we are all certainly entitled to an opinion, but the folks at guru reports actually did a full blown comparative test. Did you?

http://www.gurureports.org/specialre...waxtest.1.html

Guru Reports realized that there really weren't any comparative wax tests done that detailers could use. And they realized that there were so many waxes, polishes, and sealants on the market that it was difficult to find anything beyond anecdotal data - the kind you accused me of posting.

So, they purchased 3 identical car hoods and sectioned each into 1 foot by 1 foot square sections and "waxed" each section with a specific compound. They then left the hoods outdoors in San Francisco and each week they measured the effectiveness of the compound for 2 dimensions:

1. Water beading
2. Shine

Water beading, specifically the size and height of water droplets on the paint surface, is a very good indication of how much compound remains. Waxes and polishes, being hydrophobic, cause water to bead rather than sheet on the surface of the paint. The higher and smaller the bead, the more product remained on the hood.

Shine is a subjective measure, but they enlisted 5 judges. IIRC, 2 of them were just normal folks (neighbors) and 3 were auto detailing professionals. These judges were asked to rate the shine on depth and gloss.

The test panels were left outside and then measured each week until the water no longer beaded on the paint surface.

Most waxes began to fade (shine and bead) after 2 weeks and the toughest was gone after about 80 days. I do recall P21S was consistently chosen as having the "best" shine (gloss and depth) but I don't recall if it was the longest lasting wax.

Many waxes have a chalk base (hence the white residue) which became visible as a haze as soon as 3 weeks into the test.

Zaino and other sealants like Klasse were in their own category since they aren't waxes. However, the team found the Zaino gloss to be about the same as P21S (subjectively, maybe a bit deeper) at the beginning but after 2 weeks Zaino was much glossier. And as far as durability, well, when they gave up the test at 6 months the Zaino was still going strong.

And this was with one coat of Zaino - most users apply 3 coats.

Here is a picture of my car being judged at the Yosemite Concours.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 AM
OctaneGuy
I am VERY familiar with GR and like I said, in real world conditions, durability of any product is going to be dependent on a number of factors that can't be accounted for. Just because they tested products side by side and came to a conclusion should only be taken as a grain of salt. What matters most is:

1. How easy is a product to use (so that you will use it often)
2. How good it makes your car look
3. How long does it last

Do I really need to do a full blown comparison to show you and anyone else that Prima actually gives results?? I have photos and experience to back it up. Do you?? It's amazing how defensive you get when I show examples of my personal experience, and instead you link to an article on the web.

As for me accusing you of anything---take a chill pill man. I have a lot of experience working on paint. I say it like it is, and am very happy to show you true before and after pictures of cars under the most demanding lighting. But honestly if you think that Zaino is unique because it is easy to put on and take off and doesn't leave white residue, the question remains, how much do you really know about other similar performing products? Or are you just another one of the many die hard Zaino zealots on the forums?

So in that case, your photo shows your car under diffused sunlight. What did the car look like BEFORE you made it shine with Zaino? What does it look like under the Sun? Zaino uses fillers to achieve it's great look. What happens in a few years when your paint gets so swirled out that Zaino can't do it's magic anymore??? You hire someone to truly polish the paint. Those are the facts.

Richard

As you noted, we are all certainly entitled to an opinion, but the folks at guru reports actually did a full blown comparative test. Did you?

the kind you accused me of posting.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 AM
bryanmsi
1st Gear
Go easy bro

Hey man - its all good. Although it is kinda funny that you blasted me for sharing my "opinion" when you did the same.

I have no complaints about Prima or any other wax. But I have used many myself and have found Zaino to be the best of those I have tried, as many other have also found. I have used many waxes over the years. And its OK if your personal experience points you in a different direction. If you like a particular product and are happy with it, great.

I do think there is value in a direct comparison like that done by Guru Reports though, and it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. If you don't like their methodology, then you can point to a similar comparison with a methodology you do like. But don't knock me for backing up my opinion with test results...

BTW - your pictures look great! Zaino the sealant won't remove swirls like your photos show...it has no abrasives and doesn't fill the swirls all that well. The do make a product which is supposed to do that but I haven' tried it. I did have a 911 that had serious swirls and I spent many hours with a Porter-Cable and 3M polishing compound before the paint was even ready for Zaino. Unless you get those swirls out before had, a wax will fill better than the thin layers of Zaino.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:00 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
whole morning waxing? that is so pre-2007.

i spend 5min waxing using Hydro and end up with a better looking car
than 99.12% out there.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by kenchan

99.12%
I thought it was 99.11%

Mark

Old 03-03-2008, 09:35 AM
OctaneGuy
Please show "me" where I blasted you?

I'm sorry if you felt that way, but anytime ANYONE makes a claim about a product, I'm not afraid to ask them to show me the proof. And to me, proof is in real world testing, not a test that's posted online comparing a bunch of different products under controlled circumstances. In the end, for the enthusiast, extended durability isn't a big factor, because most of us care enough about our cars to want to take care of it and protect it, so that leaves ease of use and looks as the more important factors. Any product that isn't easy to use, isn't going to be used period, regardless of durability or looks. A lot of people love Turtle Wax Ice because it goes on easy, even though it doesn't last long. But if they like it and do it monthly, who cares how long it lasts? As for looks, the ultimate judge is the owner of the car, not some concourse judge. It's that simple.

If you're talking about the fact that I challenged your statement in saying that Zaino was unique for those properties, then I guess you're right. I did "blast" you, but unfortunately that statement just isn't true. So why should we continue to propagate the myth for others looking for a new product?

Zaino is a very good product. No doubt about that. It's done great things for the detailing community and enthusiasts as a whole. Is it the "best" product though? No I don't think so. But this thread wasn't about the "best" products, it was about "favorite" products. So if we're staying on topic here, why do we need to know about test results declaring Zaino as the best???

Richard

Hey man - its all good. Although it is kinda funny that you blasted me for sharing my "opinion" when you did the same.

I have no complaints about Prima or any other wax. But I have used many myself and have found Zaino to be the best of those I have tried, as many other have also found. I have used many waxes over the years. And its OK if your personal experience points you in a different direction. If you like a particular product and are happy with it, great.

I do think there is value in a direct comparison like that done by Guru Reports though, and it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. If you don't like their methodology, then you can point to a similar comparison with a methodology you do like. But don't knock me for backing up my opinion with test results...

BTW - your pictures look great! Zaino the sealant won't remove swirls like your photos show...it has no abrasives and doesn't fill the swirls all that well. The do make a product which is supposed to do that but I haven' tried it. I did have a 911 that had serious swirls and I spent many hours with a Porter-Cable and 3M polishing compound before the paint was even ready for Zaino. Unless you get those swirls out before had, a wax will fill better than the thin layers of Zaino.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 AM
OctaneGuy
Btw, on the subject of favorite Waxes...

Meguiar's makes a number of waxes that people use, some no longer sold.
M16
M21
M26
M66
'Consumer products are in the Maroon bottles
DC (Deep Crystal) 1,2,3
Gold Class Clear Coat Wax
NXT Tech Wax (1.0 and 2.0) Liquid and Paste

..this list isn't complete but it gets the point home.

Soooooo, when you say you like Meguiar's...which one do you like????

Originally Posted by Benibiker
I spent the whole morning waxing my Mini and was just wondering what everyone's favorite wax is. I use Meguiar's...

Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 AM
lotsie
Banned
Right now both our MINIs have Zaino on them, and will get their last treatment of it this spring. The fact it lasts supposedly up to 6 months is not a factor to me, as the cars get done about every 3-4 months, seasonally. It is easy to use, and I use a polish before I apply it.

That said, I have some Prima Epic, so I may use it on one of the MINIs, I need pads and polish, so I will be taking advantage of DP's March sale

The reason for switching, I will be running out of Zaino, and I like to try different things.

I do like DP's Banana Gas, easy to use, looks great, IMO The fact it does not last long does not bother me, as I see it's use as more of a booster wax, between regular waxing.

Before Zaino I used the 1st generation of Meguiars NXT wax, I liked it back then. I still use Meg polishes.
(I use the word "wax" to mean either a wax or a synthetic sealant)

Have been using Hydro since I first tried it at the Dragon last year

Mark

Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Prima Epic for me. Easy, fast, incredible results. And very durable. Especially when "boosted" with Prima Hydro after I wash (which for practical purposes makes it last just about forever...)

Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
redeagle
1st Gear
Zaino

Quick Reply: Favorite Wax