Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

New Prima products: Nourish for leather & Glide for clay!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Aw, he was just thinking about this.

Chin up, Chuck. Don't take crap from ChiliPepperToeJam.
Ohhhhhhhhh, yet ANOTHER new name for me ?

I don't particularly care for this one.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
You live in Colorado and you can't even spell BOULDER ?!?!

OMG !! Chuck is human !!! Fire up the presses !
Chuck, you're in trouble now!

Originally Posted by mcdbrendan
Ha. Yes I am in Boulder now. Heather, I am trying to figure out a way down to the store to check it out and get a bottle of Clarity (I've used a full bottle cleaning kids laptop screens in the dorm...)
Hmmm... I'm guessing you don't have your car here, right? We'll have to help you figure something out. I'll PM ya later.

Classic Detailing 101 thread hijack going on here (and it's not even Friday yet)! Sorry to those who are trying to learn something from this thread...

So, any reviews on Nourish and/or Glide out there yet??

-Heather

Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 PM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Nope no cars here. I am looking into leasing one come springtime... everything is so expensive!

Perhaps a MINI...

Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ChiliPepperToeJam ... I can't stop laughing!
No, in truth, and I tell this to you in strict confidence , I am the world's worst speller (look it up in the Guinness Book). I can tell a word is misspelled for the most part, but I can't tell you how to spell it. Spell check is not just a tool, it's a way of life.

Brendan - On Sunday October 14, MINI5280 is having our annual Yalla Yalla. Starts at Eliches at 11:00 AM sharp and goes off into the great unknown with a meeting of the MINIs at an undisclosed location about 4:00 PM. Great fun, great music, great quiz and great roads - don't even need a MINI to join in. Show up and I'm sure you can ride with someone.

Now on to Nourish:
I've used it now for about 2 months and I really like it. The smell is true leather, but not artificially potent. It leaves a nice semi-matte sheen and the leather is very nice and soft. I usually just apply it by hand - just my hand, no sponge or towel. Makes your skin soft too.
So Heather - a cleaner would be a nice complement to your line.
I've not use my Glide yet, but soon. Fall detailing is rapidly approaching.
(Spell check complete)

Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There isn't even a "T" in my name, let alone a "Toe" ! :impatient

Blimey is just goofy. Don't laugh, you'll only encourage more, similar behavior.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:22 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
There isn't even a "T" in my name, let alone a "Toe" ! :impatient

Blimey is just goofy. Don't laugh, you'll only encourage more, similar behavior.
Methinks someone doth protest too much...

And yeah, I'm just goofy. :impatient

Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Dang - I can't believe this thread died almost 2 months ago - time to revive it. And I'll do it with an uncommon on-topic post.

I FINALLY got around to trying my Nourish yesterday. I really like it! Chuck described it well. I also "massaged" it in by hand - really nice and sensual, in a MINI-erotic kinda way.

Smells like a leather store, and leaves a little glossier, "deeper" finish than the Griot's LeatherCare spray I've been using. It definitely "feels" like you're putting good stuff back into the leather. I also used it on my WheelSkin and it feels the best EVER. I agree - need a complimentary spray & wipe cleaner to use first.

My leather was pretty clean, just getting a little dryish. Now it doesn't have that "dry" feel or look to it anymore... I like!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 AM
cooper517
3rd Gear
can you use nourish on leatherette??

Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cooper517
Nope - that's a job for Nero!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:13 AM
lotsie
Banned
Kind of like trying to "Nourish" a plastic bucket. Any good interior vinyl protectant will work. Plus regular guy dish soap and water does a great job of cleaning it.

Mark

Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Nope - that's a job for Nero!
Originally Posted by lotsie
Kind of like trying to "Nourish" a plastic bucket. Any good interior vinyl protectant will work. Plus regular guy dish soap and water does a great job of cleaning it.

Mark
Mark's got it!

Leatherette, despite some manufacturer's efforts to imply otherwise, is vinyl that is made to look like leather.

In many cases, their doing a really nice job of it, IMO! It used to be that vinyl was awful. Now, I'm seeing some decent vinyl/leatherette. It's a great solution to those who do not want to do the very picky care required of real leather.

Leatherette, as all vinyl surfaces, only need mild cleaning from time to time and a UV protectant.

Prima Nourish is a leather conditioner and should only be used on leather. Although it certainly doesn't hurt vinyl, it just won't do very much for it.

-Heather

Last edited by Prima Car Care; 11-20-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 PM
cooper517
3rd Gear
oh ok just wondering cause i thought i was going to be getting a mini that has leatherette in it but i just found out that the mini i wanted in the first place that has real leather is still for sale!!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Detailers Paradise
Mark's got it!

-Heather

Mark

Old 11-20-2007, 03:16 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to feel how great Nourish is---try using it on some leather driving gloves. My black gloves were starting to get a little hard. I used a cleaner first, then applied Nourish--found the best way was to just wear the gloves and rub Nourish in like lotion. In a very short time, the gloves were soft and supple, and not a hint oily or slick! I like!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
runningerin
2nd Gear
I must have missed something. What do we clean the leather with before applying Nourish?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
Originally Posted by runningerin
I must have missed something. What do we clean the leather with before applying Nourish?
You didn't miss anything... Prima just doesn't have a cleaner "brother" out yet. -Only the conditioner.

You can use any good quality leather cleaner: Lexol, Four Star, Leatherique, etc. prior to applying the conditioner. In most cases, it is a very good idea to clean your leather prior to conditioning it.

We (Prima) rushed to get the conditioner out before the cleaner was ready simply because so many people with perforated seats needed something that would work well on their seats. A cleaner is due out this summer.

-Heather

Old 01-12-2008, 07:23 PM
runningerin
2nd Gear
That's good to know , Heather! I sent you an email at DP about ordering some Lexol cleaner.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You didn't miss anything... Prima just doesn't have a cleaner "brother" out yet. -Only the conditioner.

You can use any good quality leather cleaner: Lexol, Four Star, Leatherique, etc. prior to applying the conditioner. In most cases, it is a very good idea to clean your leather prior to conditioning it.
What are the pros and cons of each cleaner, if used with Nourish? I'm about to place an order, but not sure what cleaner to order.

I have a variety of things to condition:
1. Fairly new Redline leather shift boot, ebrake boot, and door armrests
2. Leather furniture that is more than 5 years old
3. A leather belt for a Civil War sword scabbard (about 150 years old)
4. A leather shop apron from Germany that is almost 40 years old

What would you use to apply the cleaner, and Nourish?

We (Prima) rushed to get the conditioner out before the cleaner was ready simply because so many people with perforated seats needed something that would work well on their seats. A cleaner is due out this summer.

-Heather
Any news on the Prima leather cleaner?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at the Four Star Leather Cleaner (you can get it from DP). If your leather furniture is like any used 5 year-old leather you may want to consider using the Leatherique system on it. It is a pain to do, but it cleaned the deep crud from our Expedition seats. I plan on using Leatherique once per year. Again you can get it from DP.
DP still don't offer their own cleaner, but the Four Star is really good.
Just an FYI ... according to Heather (the Queen of Clean) at DP, you should clean your leather more often than conditioning it. Conditioning on dirty leather is pointless because there is nowhere for the conditioner to go. Keep it clean and the conditioner can get deep enough to do some good.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Prima Car Care
Banned
I agree with MiniMaybee that Four Star Leather Cleaner is the most effective leather cleaner for most applications. However, with the non-automotive items, I would lean more towards the Leatherique Prestine Clean, which is safest for "unknown" kinds of leather like some of the ones you've listed. (leather goes through varying processes when made for different purposes and thus the treatment can vary in some cases) Leatherique Prestine Clean can be used quite well as a prep before Prima Nourish.

The full Leatherique system (Rejuvenator Oil + Prestine Clean) can do wonders for tired leather needing some TLC, as MiniMaybee mentioned. It's more expensive, time-consuming and labor-intensive but the results are always incredible. Despite all the work, I've never seen anyone less than thrilled with the results and no one has ever regretted the work.

So, for a basic cleaning and conditioning combo that will be very effective, I would suggest either Four Star Leather Cleaner or LQ Prestine Clean then Prima Nourish. If you want to go crazy for perfection, go for the full Leatherique system.

And yes, I always suggest more frequent cleaning than conditioning rather than the other way around.

-Heather

PS- We do have a cleaner still in the works but I don't have an ETA just yet! I'd say a minimum of 3 months though.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 PM
OctaneGuy
I recently restored the black interior of a 2001 BMW 740i with Leatherique. The rear headrests were stiff, and the front seats were showing signs of wear. The owner was interested in dying them to improve the looks.

I suggested Leatherique and he gave me plenty of time to do the treatment. I originally quoted the front seats and rear headrests, but after he saw and felt the improvement, he asked me to do the rest of the seats and doors as well.

The system is quite labor intensive to use--but the results were well worth it. The headrests became soft and supple, the front seats looked and felt better, so much that he was no longer interested in dying them. This car actually was going to be his daily driver, but after I finished the interior and exterior, he decided it would become his weekend car instead. That's how amazing Leatherique can be---it helps people fall back in love with their cars, lol.

The full Leatherique system (Rejuvenator Oil + Prestine Clean) can do wonders for tired leather needing some TLC, as MiniMaybee mentioned. It's more expensive, time-consuming and labor-intensive but the results are always incredible. Despite all the work, I've never seen anyone less than thrilled with the results and no one has ever regretted the work.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks all. I just spent way too much on leather care products. Leatherique for the Civil War items, and Nourish for the MINI. Eperience will determine what the other items get.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:55 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Read the directions for the two-part Leatherique system carefully.

Contrary to common sense, the "Prestine Clean" (sic) is actually the conditioner, and the "Rejuvinator" (again, sic) is actually the cleaner.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:07 PM
OctaneGuy
Well it depends on how you are using the products. The Rejuvinator is an oil that soaks into the leather and leaves a dirty sticky mess. To clean this mess up you need the Prestine Clean. I know you can use Prestine Clean alone as a conditioner, but when used together, it truly is used as the cleaner.

Richard

Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Read the directions for the two-part Leatherique system carefully.

Contrary to common sense, the "Prestine Clean" (sic) is actually the conditioner, and the "Rejuvinator" (again, sic) is actually the cleaner.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess it's just a matter of terminology - it's the Rejuvinator that gets the crap up out of the leather, so I consider it to be the cleaner. It also doesn't help that their website refers to *both* products as cleaners and conditioners.

I do know that I shouldn't have gotten a quart of each, though. At the rate I'm going, I'll never use up the Rejuvinator.

Regardless, it's great stuff. I just wished they would have spelled the names correctly, because it makes me feel illiterate every time I type them.

Quick Reply: New Prima products: Nourish for leather & Glide for clay!