Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

First Clay Job

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Clay Job

WOW! I've read about using clay for a long time, but never thought the effort would be worth the results. Always thought it was a lot of work, an awful lot of work. Saw OG doing it on his DVD and didn't look that bad. So I was going to try it. Bought the Clay Magic with 100 gram bar and lube spray because it was the most for the least and the first on the market. Thought the one bar and bottle would not be enough to to a 10 year old Q-45 that has spent most of it's life outside and waxed maybe 3 times. Did the baggy test that Heather talks about and yep, felt like a cross between sand paper and gravel, not to menton fried on bugs and bug poop, and sap stains and who know what ever else.

Sprayed some lube on the trunk, formed the clay, half a bar, and started rubbing. Felt a little rough and some resistance briefly and then it slid smoothly. Thought too much lube. The whole area shorthly felt smoothe to the clay. Must be doing something wrong. Toweled it off and did the baggy test again, smoothe as a, well you know. Could it really be this easy. Yep it was. Did the whole car in three hours. The hardest part was remolding the clay when it got dirty and wiping off the lube. The claying part was a piece of cake. Keep some lube on both sides of the clay or it will stick to you. You know the fried on bugs that Bug and Tar Remover won't take off, plastic scrubbies won't take off, comes right off right with the clay. You know the bug poop, tree droppings that evey your finger nail won' take off the hood, comes off right now. First time I've seen the mirror covers clean since the car was new. Know the little black specks of baked on tar on the side of the car, the stuff that it takes ascetone to get off but watch out paint, comes off but takes the most work.

Do the baggy test on your windshield, it feels the same way untill you clay it. I did the roof, trunk and hood first to keep the clay clean as possible, then did the top of the fenders and doors, then the bottoms of the fenders and doors. Did the front of the hood, front bumper and mirrors last because they were the dirtest. Actually the windows last because they really have junk on them. There was plenty of lube left. Can easily get my MINI with it and the half a bar I didn't use.

Hope your experience with using clay is or was a good as mine. In 45 years of cleaning cars, I've never seen anything work like this clay stuff!!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ sounds good.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
MINIangelD
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thanks for sharing your claybar experience. I might actually try it sometime!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe a word of it. I can't. Otherwise, I might be tempted to dig up my clay bar and, maybe, even use it.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:01 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I don't believe a word of it. I can't. Otherwise, I might be tempted to dig up my clay bar and, maybe, even use it.
you know you want to...

Old 07-05-2007, 10:10 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, clay rocks. I did our 7 year old almost never waxed minivan with similar results - just claying it made a SIGNIFICANT visible improvement in the paint - that plus a wash and (wait for it, ken...) HYDRO took at least 4 years off...

Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After reading through I was beginning to think I wasn't doing it well enough but this pretty much matches my experience

Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Yeah, clay rocks. I did our 7 year old almost never waxed minivan with similar results - just claying it made a SIGNIFICANT visible improvement in the paint - that plus a wash and (wait for it, ken...) HYDRO took at least 4 years off...

Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Humm, maybe HYDRO is all I should have bought from DP?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:35 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
I clayed my MINI a few weeks ago, and it turned out great- althought the paint wasn't that bad to begin with (only 16K on it).

Yesterday I clayed and waxed my 04' Acura TL, whose paint isn't nearly as good. It made a world of a difference. It wasn't so much of a visual difference, but the paint just felt sooo smooth. I was spoiled doing the MINI, for it is such a small car, so it took me longer this time. Definitely worth the effort, for those who are considering it!

Now I'm trying to use up my current waxes and polishes to make way for the first batch of Prima products on the way. (yes, Hydro is included)

Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rc'S
Humm, maybe HYDRO is all I should have bought from DP?
no... there are still many great things you should try. these are
my must-haves and highly recommended from DP. Hydro is only one
of the many must-have's Prima makes:

Prima Hydro (a must have)
Prima Nero (a must have)
Prima Clay (very good)
Prima Slick (a must have... in fact a gallon is sitting at my desk right now )
Prima Clarity Bundle (a must have, get a gallon and get more towels)
Prima WheelSheild (very good)
Prima Epic (very good)
Waffle weave MF drying towel (a must have)
Platinum MF towels (a definite must have, have like 15+ of these towels)

i also like their utility MF towel. great for applying Nero and leather care
products.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 PM
FlyingSmiley
2nd Gear
I have to agree with the first post WOW

Few months ago I had a problem with the drivers side rear brake ( friend installed pad inside out ) resulting in tiny metal flakes all over the boot and up to the drivers side door. I never thought the paint would look good with out a respray.

Finally saw the Meguires clay kit and decided to try it out. What a difference !!

Only got through the drivers side and boot mostly done today before I ran out of time and it is an amazing difference. I was working at another friends house cause I dont have access to a hose to wash the MINI properly and he was so impressed with the way that my car looked after he went and bought the same stuff.

Ended up teaching him a whole lot of things about cleaning his car he never thought about just from what I learned on here.

Need to thank Detailing 101 for teaching me how to take care of my car and help others do the same
I really am trying not to become OCD

Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 AM
rc'S
5th Gear
Follow On

Started the same claying on my Suburban, 6 years old, 107,000 outside miles waxed once (ouch) 5 years ago, a 1/3 of its life by the salt water. It too is making a big difference in the way it looks. Wish the weather would break so I could get the PC ahold of the paint on both these cars, but will probably end up claying them both again this fall and PC-ing them. Don't forget the windows!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:57 PM
robbybee
OVERDRIVE
Does anyone have any experience with the new Turtle Wax "Liquid Clay Bar" product?

It can't be as good as the original clay bar but it could be a great product for the not-so-abused paint that needs a little refresher...

Old 07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Do a search, I think Richard reviewed it - and the reviews were not great in terms of it being anything remotely close to clay bar. From what I remember, it was more like a weak polish.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Whisky B
2nd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Yessir!... To all you non-believers, the Clay-Bar is Da Bomb!!!!

Bought mine second hand from a dealership (sittin on the lot, ouch) with gross-amounts-of-water-spots standard. So I waxed and waxed, with no results. So I broke-down and picked up a Clay-Bar kit (Mothers Clay Bar system aval. @ Checkers for about 20 bucks) and went to work.

1. Washed Mini with warm soapy water to break-up some of the waxing layers.
2. Immediately dried Mini, using microfiber towels of course.
3. Applied spray provided and rubbed like there was no tomorrow.

Simply amazing! I could see, hear, and feel the thing working! The best part is the energy saved from doing all the applying and buffing of cleaner wax and the like. The microfiber towels cleaned up the excess spray lubricant in seconds with no extra buffing at all! And, of course, the water-spots are a thing of the past.

So I you have a dark flavored Mini like mine, let it be known that a Clay-Bar kit is now regarded as standard "must-have" equipment; and if anyone questions the allocation of said asset, you just tell 'em to shut up because Whisky B said so.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well ... there you have it!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 AM
robbybee
OVERDRIVE
I am SOLD! I need to do my MINI and my 325i. Both are in need of some lovin! MINI first, cause there is a meeting of the MINIs in OC on the 29th.