Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

First wax question (type of wax)

Old 05-12-2007, 09:50 AM
elixir
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First wax question (type of wax)

I am hopefully going to get my Mini from the dealer next week! I have a few questions about taking care of the car that I am hoping to get some help on.

I am going to get clearbra installed pretty soon after getting the car to help protect it. Right before that I am going to get my car clayed and waxed. The shop I am planning on going to uses carnuba wax.

I was wondering, is natural wax the best way to go before the clearbra/for the first wax? I have order a set of products from Detailer’s Paradise, including Epic, and I was planning on using that when I wax it myself. Plus I am also planning on using Hyrdo when I wash it myself. I am sure that I will sometimes wash/wax myself and sometimes have it done, which I guess means I won’t have much control over the types of products used. So in this case should I care what kind of wax is used the first time? My car is Oxygen Blue if that matters.

Thanks for any advice/opinions. Sorry I don’t know much about this but I am trying to learn more!

Old 05-12-2007, 10:28 AM
modernist
1st Gear
As I'm sure others will have better answers for you soon, I will say that whoever does the clear bra install will probably remove any traces of wax before applying it. You will probably want to reapply wax afterwards since most clear bra installers will wipe off a larger area than will be covered anyways. Personally I would wait until the bra is on before the waxing if you plan on installing the bra soon after purchase. Others may or may not agree. As for carnuba, it doesn't last as long. If you would like to use a carnuba, I would apply it on top of a polymer type sealant.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:35 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I too would hold off on the detail/wax until AFTER the clear bra is installed. The clear bra installer will use alcohol or something similar to remove any wax so the bra adheres.

As far as what kind of wax to use, that's pretty much personal preference. Some people like carnauba, because it has a little more "warmth" to it for darker colors, but others like synthetics (like Epic) because they give a high shine and last up to 6 months without reapplying.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:17 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as above, hold off on the wax until after the clearbra install.

you will treat clearbra pretty much the same way as the rest of your
paint. i prefer carnauba (Best of Show) for the mellow/natural soft
shine but on some colors that hide dust, i prefer polymer such as
Epic/Hydro for the deep gloss.

i hate shiny waxes... those super reflective kind.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
I couldn't agree more about waiting till the clear bra gets installed After that though, make an afternoon available and get to it! Wash the car down real good and then clay it. Then use a quality paint cleaner to clean below the clearcoat. Once that's done seal it up using a synthetic product or your favorite caranuba. In my case, this is how I did my first initial detailing of my MINI...

Griots clay bar
Klasse All in One
Klasse Sealant Glaze
*waited 12 hrs*
another coat of Klasse SG
*waited another 12 hrs*
coat of Pinnacle "Souveran"

I chose Souveran because its a quality product, even though this particular product is best used on red and black cars. My MCS is BRG, so it is dark and besides, this product is fine white Brazian caranuba so why not Have fun detailing your MINI, its nice to have a small car because these multi-step details don't take too long!