DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

DYNO'ing a MINI questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:16 AM
MINI-Bee
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DYNO'ing a MINI questions

I have recently recieved a message from Lucky Dog Garage about dynoing a MINI and I am curious if this is true or if they are trying to get me to take my MINI up to them, any help on this aubject would be great. Thanks. Here is a copy of what they sent me.

[SIZE=2]"Don't waste your time and money at ISP. The dyno numbers will mean nothing. We are the only place in the US that has the capability to recalibrate the Mini. We already know what the dyno numbers will be and the Mini is unlike any other car to dyno because of the way it responds to IAT increases associated with insufficient airflow encountered on a dyno."

So if any person out there knows wether or not this is true please let me know. Thanks again.
Brian
[/SIZE]

Old 12-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
I think what LDG is saying is that they do not dyno your car, nor do they need a dyno to properly tune it.

LDG knows what they are doing.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:31 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
My translation was more along the lines of:
The dyno will give you a number. However, that number really doesn't mean all that much. What it really means is that day/hour/minute with the dyno in the setup it was in at that moment gave you a reading of xxx HP.

Does that number really mean anything? Sort of.

Can you compare it against another dyno run someone else? Sure you can, but it wouldn't be apples to apples.

In all my dealings with LDG they have always been a straight shooter. I've asked about mods, they told me it wouldn't really be worth it. Sure, they could have just installed them and made a buck, instead they educated me on why it wouldn't make sense to do something to my car (which is primarily a street car). Lots of places will sell and install something you don't need. LDG doesn't seem to be one of those.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:32 PM
rubyred3
4th Gear
for tuning, a wide band O2 is just as good as a dyno really. . .

Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 PM
MINI-Bee
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
My translation was more along the lines of:
The dyno will give you a number. However, that number really doesn't mean all that much. What it really means is that day/hour/minute with the dyno in the setup it was in at that moment gave you a reading of xxx HP.

Does that number really mean anything? Sort of.

Can you compare it against another dyno run someone else? Sure you can, but it wouldn't be apples to apples.

In all my dealings with LDG they have always been a straight shooter. I've asked about mods, they told me it wouldn't really be worth it. Sure, they could have just installed them and made a buck, instead they educated me on why it wouldn't make sense to do something to my car (which is primarily a street car). Lots of places will sell and install something you don't need. LDG doesn't seem to be one of those.
Thanks for the help. I am new to the community and everyone has great things to say about LDG. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the correct info from them. Thank you all for your help and/or advice.