DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

Caravan to the DRAGON?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 09:45 PM
CSAMF
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caravan to the DRAGON?

Anyone interested in creating a mini train to the Dragon this May? And what's the best way to invite our MINI friends up north that may be taking I95 our way?

Old 02-10-2005, 03:20 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be leaving on Thursday morning. Most likely buzzing down I-81 then turn left in TN. The up side is the west approach takes you across the dragon on the way in.
There is a part of me that would like to drive down the east side of the mountains not taking any interstate. But most likely I will take the above route with few stops. I WANTTa GET THERE. :smile:
John

Old 02-10-2005, 04:11 AM
Jen
6th Gear
At this point I think Michael and I plan to take our time and possibily break the drive down up over two days. That would sort of rule us out of any formal carvan.

But, the best way to do it would be to pick a date, and time range and set up a meeting at a rest stop at a point near to I-95 and I-81 and ask folks to roll in. Possibly others locally could meet at a Starbucks to start the drive down.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:56 AM
indygomini
4th Gear
Best wishes to all going from DCMM and Phillymini this year! Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to drive the Dragon this spring, but I'm hoping to be able to make MOT in June. :smile:

For anyone traveling the I81 corridor near Roanoke, VA- there is usually a very significant VA state police presence on this section of highway. They are there primarily to do commercial vehicle enforcement, but they will stop smaller vehicles that do dumb things and get their attention. Be safe and enjoy!

Old 02-10-2005, 12:29 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Have fun everyone in advance. Probably won't be going due to the fact I'm a minor and parents probably wouldn't want to come and on top of that don't forget about school. Maybe next year! Drive safe too!

Old 02-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll be heading down on Thursday morning. Last year there was a caravan I was supposed to meet up with, but due to a cellphone snafu, I could not locate them and ended up going solo. I met up with another lone MINI in southern VA while at a rest stop and we headed in from there. This was a good thing because I had planned on being part of a group and as such, was counting on others with the directions!

We took the 'left turn' in TN and rode in on the Dragon. Life was good.

I'll be willing to ride along with others, just let me know the time and the location to meet.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
I'm up for a caravan, as long as it's on Thursday! Apparently, the Navy can't possibly survive without my presence on Wednesday...

-Paul!

Old 02-10-2005, 03:25 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Paul!
I'm up for a caravan, as long as it's on Thursday! Apparently, the Navy can't possibly survive without my presence on Wednesday...

-Paul!
GB: So sorry we missed you -- but I think you arrived BEFORE us (and left after us).

Paul!: Have you ever thought that by being there on Wednesday you could be the sole person to prevent some major Navel mistake that could have had lasting reprocussions in the future??? Nevermind, that would never happen. What is special about Wednesday -- is it "trash day" or something?

Hugs,
PB

-------
I kid because I care.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BabsWife
Paul!: Have you ever thought that by being there on Wednesday you could be the sole person to prevent some major Navel mistake that could have had lasting reprocussions in the future??? Nevermind, that would never happen. What is special about Wednesday -- is it "trash day" or something?
Trash day?! On a WEDNESDAY??? Shows how much you know! Who would have a trash day on a Wednesday? (well, maybe the Coast Guard would! ) Trash is Friday, we dust on Wednesday!!!

Nah, the real reason is my request has already been put in for my time off starting Thursday. Even though it hasn't been officially approved as of yet (and may God help them if they don't approve it!), my 'chain of command' is being difficult about changing it. If it comes down to it though, it could probably be changed, with enough whining and complaining! And it could be easier than that, as I'm starting to scare my co-workers with my MINI obsession! (I'm to the point now where I'm hanging up Tail of the Dragon website printouts in my cubicle! )

-Paul!

Old 02-10-2005, 05:11 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
We are up for a caravan from DC/VA . Our preference is to leave very early on Thursday morning so we have time to settle in and enjoy the area. Don't like too many stops except for bathroom breaks - bushes are not an options for girls !!- Of course, we are planning to be topless all the way

MD STREGA2
DC STELLA

Old 02-11-2005, 06:06 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lastrega
We are up for a caravan from DC/VA . Our preference is to leave very early on Thursday morning so we have time to settle in and enjoy the area. Don't like too many stops except for bathroom breaks - bushes are not an options for girls !!- Of course, we are planning to be topless all the way

MD STREGA2
DC STELLA
I must work on Wed as well and I'm defently up for a drive with the topless group. Sadly my top is fixxed in place but it does pop open. Are camera's allowed?

All kidding asside yours is the kind of trip I had in mind with my first post. Out of the DC area before 7:30 if possible but as some have to come from MD maybe a gathering on the western (for I-81 rout) or southern (for I-95 rout) sides of town around 9 would be better. Having made this trip about three times I like going down I-81. It is a little better than taking on the traffic of I-95 S at the times we are talking about. I know,not much better - but still better.

I like the idea of just gas stops. On family trips to FL we pack a ice chest with lunch and either eat at a rest stop or in the car. Restaurants are a sink that suck up clock. The rest areas allow my daughter and dogs to run, my wife and I to streach and walk around some. I know that some do not eat in the car and others find a restaurant a nice break from the road. I could live with and enjoy the meal stops (I had a blast last year), but I would like to get there early enough to explore, see friends, and take some pictures.
John

Old 02-11-2005, 10:06 PM
CSAMF
3rd Gear
Sounds like the bulk of us are wanting to leave early Thursday which works for me. Less stops the better, too. I guess we should get an idea of where everyone is coming from and find a place and time to meet. I live just north of the only rest stop on I95 between Baltimore and DC. I could meet up with the folks north of me at this rest stop and head down to another meeting spot to hook up with the DC/VA folks....

Old 02-12-2005, 04:49 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
I know that there's a rest area at about exit 153 on I-95. It's in Woodbridge, I think. I'm assuming that most DC MINI drivers live north of that. We could meet there, motor down to Richmond and pick up any interested MINIs down there, and then continue to the dragon.

I'll take a look at the rest stop today and see how big it is/confirm the exit/see what facilities it has.

-Paul!

Edit: Unless of couse, we decide to do the I-81 route, in which case, I'll be quiet!! (I guess it pays to read all of the posts sometimes!)

Old 02-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Inimay
2nd Gear
We plan to be there but can't leave until Friday afternoon. 66 ti 81. Trust me.... we'll catch up!!!

Good times

Old 02-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am south-west of the I-95 rest stop. If there are people from that area or passing through, it'd be a good place to 'collect'. Last trip down I took 95-495-66-81-etc.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:21 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I-95 in Woodbridge isn't too great an idea. I'll propose two options for you all for a 7:30 Thursday Meetup.

Option 1) In front of Starbucks at 5623 Stone Road in Centreville. This is 1/2 mile off I-66 but at this shopping center is also a McDonalds and a Giant for your last minute shopping needs. This is where we met last year.

Option 2)If you don't want to get off I-66, meet at the rest area on I-66 Westbound just before the Manassas Battlefield.

For lunch, my suggestion is stopping in Wytheville VA, same exit as last year John. This is a decent gas stop plus there is fast food here. Next option is a good 15 to 20 miles south. Gas here should get you all the way to Fontana... Although I would suggest topping off in Marysville.

Best/Fastest route from DC: I-66 West to it's endpoint at I-81. I-81 South to it's endpoint at I-40. I-40 to US-129 in Knoxville. US-129 across the Dragon to NC-28 at The Crossroads of Time. NC-28 to The Fontana...

Old 02-13-2005, 09:14 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Some thoughts the drive down.

Mike's route above is about the best one for people in the DC area. In theory we could meet with people living in other areas Wytheville. This would require some phone number exchanges (I know for a fact that my phone does not have service there) and the understanding by all that we may in fact just have to meet in NC. Even a 15 minute seperation is a bunch at 60 MPH. While driving in a big group is fun if the group gets any larger that five or six cars we should divie up into smaller groups, and each group have someone that has been there before to mother hen those that have not been there. This will make moving through traffic easier. Trying to get a line of 20 cars passed a camper or tractor trailer can be dangerious and frustrating with the speeding up and slowing down that takes place. The Mother Hen car should be the last car in the line in order to keep an eye on wayward chicks (I'm willing to travel with Cabrio units - given the post at or near the start of this thread ). Picking up a FRS would be a good idea if you do not have one.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:20 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DaCrema
Mike's route above is about the best one for people in the DC area. In theory we could meet with people living in other areas Wytheville. This would require some phone number exchanges (I know for a fact that my phone does not have service there) and the understanding by all that we may in fact just have to meet in NC. Even a 15 minute seperation is a bunch at 60 MPH. While driving in a big group is fun if the group gets any larger that five or six cars we should divie up into smaller groups, and each group have someone that has been there before to mother hen those that have not been there. This will make moving through traffic easier. Trying to get a line of 20 cars passed a camper or tractor trailer can be dangerious and frustrating with the speeding up and slowing down that takes place. The Mother Hen car should be the last car in the line in order to keep an eye on wayward chicks (I'm willing to travel with Cabrio units - given the post at or near the start of this thread ). Picking up a FRS would be a good idea if you do not have one.
This year I'll provide directions or something for the non-GPS endowed Then we don't need to be too concerned if we get strung out...

BTW I've got cell service the entire way down to about Marysville....

Old 02-13-2005, 11:10 AM
CSAMF
3rd Gear
Mike's plan sounds great to me. Everyone else up for it?

Old 02-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Paul!
6th Gear
Sounds good, Mike!! I-81 definitely looks like the best bet. I'm all about avoiding I-95 traffic! Seems like an easy enough route too, so if/when the group gets split up, it won't be hard to get there.

-Paul!

Old 02-13-2005, 01:21 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
So the question is meeting point meet at 7:30 with a departure NLT (no later than) 7:45 (12:45 GMT)at either:

Option 1: Starbucks as listed above...

Opton 2: I-66 rest area just before the Manassass Battlefield. (This rest area is approximately 2 miles past the US-29/Centreville Exit).

My vote is for option 1...

Old 02-13-2005, 04:21 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
Since the two of us are coming from DC any place in VA like Manassas is OK.
I 'll prefer 7:15 am mtg. to leave at 7:30. sharp

Another place where we could stop for lunch- is [font=Arial]Abingdon, VA nice little town (338 miles from Manassas) which we should reached around 12:30/ 13:00 and then 2 .1/2 hrs to Fontana Dam

MD STREGA2
DC STELLA

Old 02-13-2005, 05:49 PM
CSAMF
3rd Gear
Neutral vote here, just excited about trip, is it May yet?

Old 02-13-2005, 07:02 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lastrega
Since the two of us are coming from DC any place in VA like Manassas is OK.
I 'll prefer 7:15 am mtg. to leave at 7:30. sharp
But your going to be late anyway:razz :

Old 02-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Petey
2nd Gear
Debi and I are taking our MCSC down to the Dragon from NJ. We are dragon virgins and would totally love a mentor! We have friends in the DC area and will likely stay there Wednesday night. We'd love to hook up early Thursay morning with any or all of you and caravan!

Quick Reply: Caravan to the DRAGON?