D Stock What's up with PA championship?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 AM
TomA
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's up with PA championship?

Saw the results from the PA state championship and wondered what happened. Is Chiles out of practice and Savini on his game (congrats Tony S -- wow!). I knew he could win but this is beyond a win and without Tony S's coneage ... well, I think it's a safe guess to say Mark wasn't in a good mood after. So, anyone know the story? Old tires against new tires? Mark not in his regular G-Stock ride? A6s versus 710s? Tony Savini is not really an earthling?
Anyone got the scoop?

A link to the results: http://www.scca-susq.com/results/200...axresults.html

Old 08-15-2006, 07:04 AM
MiniAutoXr
1st Gear
If you look back at articles such as in Grassroots quoting Chiles on how to go fast in a Mini, his #1 tip is "seat time, seat time, seat time." I gave him the championship car to run with Foley at the PA States, but with Foley having no time in the car at all this year and Chiles only running the Ft. Myers Tour, they were no match for Savini on his "A" game. Also since I have been running the car all year on the new A6s, Chiles didn't know the changes I've learned to make to setup to fix the handling problems they were experiencing on that particular surface.

Foley and I rectified the matter this weekend at a Philly Region event, , and defended the car's honour, but that means squat come September in Topeka. http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/resu...6/SO081206.TXT (see Pro class results...after the 3 FSP cars that spanked the three GS cars, that is).

I still go with my advice to SportsCar writers to pick Savini this year. Lots of good drivers in the class could do it, but over two days, Savini's the most likely to put two good days together.

On the other hand, the top two could be Beth and Brianne.... maybe I'll play in HS.

Jeff Jacobs

Old 08-15-2006, 09:04 AM
TomA
2nd Gear
Thanks, Jeff. I was wondering what happened. Glad to see you and Rob going fast. I saw GH Sharp in Atlanta this past weekend. He said you two melted some tires at Heartland Park in his Boxster. Thinking about A-stock in the future? So, what will it take $$ for you to PM me with what kind of adjustments you made for the A6s I agree Savini is the MAN to beat (unless Craig Wilcox jumps back into G-stock). But then again there seems to be a dozen G-stock drivers that could win on any weekend and, with your showing in Philly and elsewhere, you're one of them. So, I'd say HS or GS is a tough call.

Tom Austin

Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
MiniAutoXr
1st Gear
It seems 15 years of FWD experience was relatively useless when it came to running a Boxster S. It takes me some seat time to get comfortable with a car to keep up with the likes of the top people in AS. So, while I did beat H-Stock by something like two tenths for the topeka divisional, I was driving a Boxster S at the time.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TomA
Thanks, Jeff. I was wondering what happened. Glad to see you and Rob going fast. I saw GH Sharp in Atlanta this past weekend. He said you two melted some tires at Heartland Park in his Boxster. Thinking about A-stock in the future? So, what will it take $$ for you to PM me with what kind of adjustments you made for the A6s I agree Savini is the MAN to beat (unless Craig Wilcox jumps back into G-stock). But then again there seems to be a dozen G-stock drivers that could win on any weekend and, with your showing in Philly and elsewhere, you're one of them. So, I'd say HS or GS is a tough call.

Tom Austin
Hey Tom

I'm back in. STX has beaten me into submission for the time being.

There are so many good GS drivers, its impossible to tell who will have the best 2 days at HPT IMHO. My guess is, uhhh, hmmm ..... lol

Craig

Old 08-15-2006, 10:05 AM
TomA
2nd Gear
I'm back in.

So Craig, you saw the light at the end of that STX tunnel and turned out to be a train?

Old 08-15-2006, 12:23 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TomA
I'm back in.

So Craig, you saw the light at the end of that STX tunnel and turned out to be a train?
hahaha It was actually a WRX. lol

Actually, I think my Mini is capable, but, I need more tuning time. I have some suspension issues and am re-working it as we speak. IF I can get the car working properly, I might just make a switch back to STX for the Championship, but, I want at least 3-4 local events to get use to the new setup. Otherwsie, its GS for sure. Depending on how I fare at Wendover, it looks like GS for the Prosolo Finale will be in order as well since I will hopefuly be up there in points(fingers crossed). ;-) My Mini will be run by Grant Barclay an Ryan Barnard in Wendover, so, hopefully you'll see some good results as a benefit of the setup we have changed.

Man, this is my favorite time of year.

Hey Tom, don't count yourself out, your going to be right up there in the mix as well. ;-)

Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Built-by-Bones
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniAutoXr
I still go with my advice to SportsCar writers to pick Savini this year. Lots of good drivers in the class could do it, but over two days, Savini's the most likely to put two good days together.

On the other hand, the top two could be Beth and Brianne.... maybe I'll play in HS.

Jeff Jacobs
Now I know where the "east coast" slant in the pick the winners issue came from.

No love for a yellow/white GS Mini from the rocky mountains.

That's cool, we prefer to be the underdog team anyway. Glad Tony S is the one who has to deal with the pressure of being the "chosen" one, not our drivers.

Just joking Jeff, too bad your deadline was before the Denver events. My latest "ringer" did pretty well there for his first time ever in a FWD at a National level. By the time he gets to Nationals he will have a few more events for seat time, so could pose an even greater threat.

Seriously though, I think GS is going to be very difficult this year, even if Mr Chiles does not appear on the entry list.

My guess for top 3 in no particular order is (I am biased of course)
- Craig Wilcox
- Graeme Weston Lewis
- Greg Reno

Serious threats

- Rob Foley
- GH Sharp
- Jake Nygaard
- Hurricane Hernandez
- Tony Savinni

Dark Horses
- Beth
- Brianne

Good luck to all who enter GS. May your wildest dreams come true. Kinda glad I am in the STX mini.

Bones Barclay

Old 08-22-2006, 05:01 PM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniAutoXr
maybe I'll play in HS.
Bring it on!

Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 PM
MiniAutoXr
1st Gear
Good point, Grant. The picks were done before Denver so nobody had seen Graeme in action and Craig was running STX. But then again, unless Graeme comes down with the flu again in September, will he be as fast as Denver?

The Redshift guys just got their Konis for the Civic Si and Eric K. is motivated in the Spec V this year, so let's just make sure the MINIs aren't embarrassed by one of these "other" cars.

And if Eric S.'s RX-7 blows up again between now and Nationals, all bets are off.

Jeff Jacobs

Old 10-02-2006, 12:45 PM
bcorn
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Built-by-Bones
My guess for top 3 in no particular order is (I am biased of course)
- Craig Wilcox
- Graeme Weston Lewis
- Greg Reno

Serious threats

- Rob Foley
- GH Sharp
- Jake Nygaard
- Hurricane Hernandez
- Tony Savinni

Dark Horses
- Beth
- Brianne

Good luck to all who enter GS. May your wildest dreams come true. Kinda glad I am in the STX mini.

Bones Barclay
Dark Horse ?

I finally figured out the setup on my mini. Your all in trouble now.

Thanks to all the mini drivers for your advice. You guys are the best.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:53 PM
MiniAutoXr
1st Gear
If the open class getting beat by the ladies class or getting beat by a woman driving in the open class is referred to as being "skirted", I guess most of G-Stock was "Mini-skirted" this year.

Congrats to Craig on his win, and thumbs up to Brianne for the close second...even with the 2-run handicap on the second day.

Notable mention to Savini for the top time on Weds.