D Stock Anyone else running a 17" wheel/tire setup?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 09:05 PM
GreenMachine
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else running a 17" wheel/tire setup?

I know you'll think I'm insane, but I'm using OE 17" S-lites (heavies) and 225/45-17 Victoracers. Yes, quite possibly the heaviest wheel/tire combo out there for a Solo2 Mini! And no help with gearing!

Basically, I needed a set of wheels/tires quick and cheap. The local season was upon us, and my dedicated autocross BMW was/is still not ready (engine swap). I was going to beg for a co-drive, but the S became the fill-in when I noticed the local G-Stock class looked competitive for the first time in years. It has several regulars, and 3 cars with shocks/R-tires/exhausts/alignments/etc (that's really good for Utah Region).

I have done nothing to the car except the sticky tires, but I'm competitive and getting closer to winning this class as I relearn how to drive a FWD car through the cones. The class has proven its mettle- I can finish second/third/etc in class and PAX second/third/etc overall. The last couple of events I've been beat out on the last run or I blew it by coning my best run. Its been a lot fun beating up on each other.

I found the S-lites for incredibly cheap, and the 225/45-17 Victo will also work on my BMW, so this setup became a no-brainer. I wanted to see if anyone else went the 17" route or if I was truly crazy. I get VERY minor rub up front- the front inside edge of the tire will barely rub the fender liner when you crank the wheel all the way. That's it though, and even that's not a problem except on very tight turns.

Just checkin' in, hope everyone's season is going well, or at least you're having fun like me!

Old 06-10-2004, 09:39 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Good luck with G-stock

The MCS is competitive in G-stock

In my area for SCCA Solo 2 G-stock this past month, 2nd and 3rd place went to essentially stock MCS with stock 17" wheels including runflats.

The driver makes the biggest difference so if you are experienced with autocross then that is a huge plus. If not then walk the course with experienced people and read about autocrossing in books sold at solotime.com (there are a bunch of really good ones).

Your MCS (in G-stock)-
Intake- Drop in air filters only. Consider a new and clean (install only at autocross and then put the street filter back in to drive home) alta foam or Unifoam, gauze or green filter.

Cat-back exhaust- consider a lighter or more powerful exhaust. Alta, Quicksilver, Rspeed, Milltek or Borla Race might be worth a look.

Tire pressures-To reduce and control understeer, chalk tire edges, check and adjust tire pressures (more in the front by 3-5 psi). Victoracers do better heated up a bit. Your best runs might be your 3rd and 4th.

Reduce weight- got a huge or amp or subwoofer in the boot, a jack or tools?

Tires- your victoracers are good but wide at 225. Heat cycle them if new.
For the 17x7 stock rims there aren't that many really good choices. Some like the Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3 or Bridgestone Potenza Pole position S-03 tires. More expensive and the S-03 are heavy at about 24+ pounds in 215/40-17. No rubbing but not as sticky and also can be used for street so no changing of tires since the victoracers are not really for any street use.

Rims- One good option is to run with 16x6.5" X-lytes which are lighter and still offer some good tire sizes. If you have to go with 17x7" the offset is 48mm and you have to stay within plus or minus .25" of that offset to stay legal. The S-lyte rim is 25.1 pounds each so it will be easy to find something much better. Try shopping tirerack.com or edgeracing.com for a 17x7" rim with about +45mm offset.

Gas- run with a full or an empty tank (to save weight). Partly filled tanks shift weight too much as your autocross.

Have fun.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:36 AM
JiminVirginia
2nd Gear
You're not insane to run 17" but I might question your sanity for using the S-Lites. They are so heavy it's ridiculous. The Victoracers, meanwhile, have to rank right up there as one of the heaviest r-compounds.

I checked around a bit when picking my setup, and I discovered that running 17" Team Dynamics Pro Racing wheels (8 pounds lighter than the S Lite) with 205/40 Ecsta V700s runs almost the exact same diameter as 16" wheels with 215/45 Falken Azenis. And about the same weight, depending on the 16" wheel choice.

If you moved to either of these setups, I bet you'd notice a big difference.

Good luck either way.

Old 06-11-2004, 05:07 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
I know you'll think I'm insane, but I'm using OE 17" S-lites (heavies) and 225/45-17 Victoracers. Yes, quite possibly the heaviest wheel/tire combo out there for a Solo2 Mini! And no help with gearing!

Just checkin' in, hope everyone's season is going well, or at least you're having fun like me!
That isn't the lightest combo you could be running. My 16" SSR with Ecsta V700's setup is weighing in around 29 pounds. Your setup is around 50 pounds. 21 more pounds per corner is a lot of unsprung weight.

Having fun is important. Winning just makes it easier.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:00 PM
GreenMachine
1st Gear
Oh, I know I have a terrible setup. Like I said, it was actually the cheapest way to go since I can use the Victo's on my BMW when its ready. I got the S-lites for $200, great deal for brand new 17" wheels.

I also have no plans at this time to setup this car at all beyond tire pressures (i.e. won't be buying light wheels/tires, shocks, getting alignment, exhaust). Its a daily driver through and through. Running an uncompetitive setup in a class with 3 fully setup cars, including the vaunted Celica GT, makes me work that much harder to try and outdrive everyone else. I know I'm losing precious tenths here and hundreths there with this setup, but I enjoy the challenge.

I was just wondering if anyone had gone the 17" route. Looking for thoughts on tire pressures, etc. I've been basing my pressures off of some of Mark Chiles advice on his 16" setup.

I've been competing 5 years, with two trips to Nats and several Pro's & Tours under my belt (won STX at Wendover Pro last year), so I'm no stranger to traversing the sea of cones and setting up cars. My BMW gets all the setup fundage... :smile:

Old 06-11-2004, 09:33 PM
minihune
Good luck in G-stock

Skill counts!

Given your background, and G-stock class, I think you will be able to do some damage.

I'm reading some books on autocross and they suggest that 10% of driving is doing things and 90% of it is the right thinking. There is much more to autocross than having the optimal setup.

Your tires might not be the absolute best but they are better than runflats.
Your wheels might not be the lightest but they will go where you point them.

As far as tires go if I used 225/45-17 Kumho Ecsta V700 "shaved to 4/32nd inch" tires with stock 17x7 rims and H-sport springs (1" drop front and rears) do you think they would rub?

Old 06-12-2004, 09:48 AM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Skill counts!
As far as tires go if I used 225/45-17 Kumho Ecsta V700 "shaved to 4/32nd inch" tires with stock 17x7 rims and H-sport springs (1" drop front and rears) do you think they would rub?
What class are you in? STX or do you have a pulley? STX doesn't allow R compound tires.

A friend of mine runs the 225/50/16's victoracers on stock rims and gets slight rubbing in the rear on the trailing arms (the black paint has rubbed off). Having people in the back seat makes the problem worse when going over bumps. The 16" victo's and 17" ecstas have the same overall diameter at 24.6" and the section widths are pretty close. It is a pretty safe bet you will get some rubbing if you have the H-sports.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:08 PM
GreenMachine
1st Gear
Well, we just had the Utah Region/Rocky Mountain Division SCCA Divisional this past weekend at Wendover. MiniUSA owes me $500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm super-glad they pay contingency for Divisional events!!

Coned my best two (out of three runs) Saturday, so I was about .8 behind the class leading Celica GT (would've been .2 behind without conage). Given past history, didn't think I could make up that time, but I went for it Sunday (hey, $500 is better than $250). Put in an excellent run on the final run Sunday to beat the Celica by 1.2 seconds that day and by .4 overall for the weekend. Great duel!

The 225/45-17's came in really well. The Wendover surface and 85 degree weather allowed them to heat up quickly but not overheat. The car stuck great and turned when I needed it to. Makes me wonder what Hoosiers, light wheels, and a little toe-out would do...

Old 06-15-2004, 01:18 AM
minihune
Congrats Green Machine

Wonderful job. You nailed your runs.
So much for heavy rims.
The lightness helps to accelerate and brake but if you are going at speed and don't loose too much and just hang on then there is little to be lost with your wheels. But if you brake hard and loose speed then it will take you precious time to regain your speed.

So forget the brake and go for it along the turns.

I was looking at 17x7 but Alex@tirerack says 225/45-17 is very likely to rub front and rears so be prepared to cut the wheel wells. I run in SM class for Solo II. I can go with any wheel so 15" and 205/50-15 for now and maybe 15x7" with 225/45-15 for later in Kumho Ecsta V700.

Gotta add some RDR camber plates first for -2 camber in the front and run about -1.2 degrees camber in the rears. Mintex M1144 track brake pads and ATE superblue brake fluid coming as well.

Old 06-15-2004, 04:29 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Well, we just had the Utah Region/Rocky Mountain Division SCCA Divisional this past weekend at Wendover. MiniUSA owes me $500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm super-glad they pay contingency for Divisional events!!
You might want to check, I heard that they only pay for a year-end Divisional Championship. I didn't bother to check into it after that, since I live too far on the edge of CenDiv and MidDiv to run either full series. And I figure that I'm not driver enough to take a Tour or Pro or anything, so I didn't bother signing up for the contingency.

However, if I could get $500 for running one CenDiv or MidDiv, I'd at least make the trip to have a go at a couple this year! So if you find out that they do pay for single Divisional events, post it up!