Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

The Best Sounding Cooper Ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by in the flesh
So its not worth it?
no....on the cooper, almost all of the intakes are the same.

my pipercross actually came UNGLUED and a hole appeared which is why i changed to K&N.

To be honest....if you are looking for performance, a panel filter is the best bet. For noise....any of them.

I personally love the K&N

Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM
in the flesh
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm more in it for the noise, as far as performance goes it would be nice but its not on my priorities.. You can't really do much with a Cooper when it comes to HP

Old 12-07-2006, 04:16 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A replacement panel filter doesn't do much of anything noise-wise. I use an Alta foam panel in the summer, and stock paper in the winter, and the sound is the same to me.

Any of the cone style, boxless intakes will give you the sound you're looking for. I only mentioned the pipercross viper because that is the one I heard in person.

I haven't heard a Cooper with intake, Borla, and a header - it might sound amazing, or it might be too much.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:37 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
I

Last edited by luckydoggarage; 12-07-2006 at 04:52 AM. Reason: cold keyboard
Old 12-07-2006, 04:50 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
I purchased my Cooper in 02. It was a base model nonS that we use for product development. I built an engine for that car using a homemade version of the intake pictured at the beginning of this thread and with the mods the car made 158whp at 8100rpms. It made a sound on track that was fantastic and always brought a crowd to the pit wall to see what it was. There was another one like it that I saw at VIR one weekend so that makes two that I know of. I'm sure there are more because that's what old racers like me do.
Alas, I didn't have the ability at the time to make it work with the drive by wire so I abandonded the project as not marketable. I now have that capability and I'm using it to fine tune my Turbo Cooper which in street trim has been reliably putting down over 300whp for the last year. See the sister car in January EuroTuner Mag.
I still prefer high reving, small displacement normally aspirated engines.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:01 PM
in the flesh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by luckydoggarage
I purchased my Cooper in 02. It was a base model nonS that we use for product development. I built an engine for that car using a homemade version of the intake pictured at the beginning of this thread and with the mods the car made 158whp at 8100rpms. It made a sound on track that was fantastic and always brought a crowd to the pit wall to see what it was. There was another one like it that I saw at VIR one weekend so that makes two that I know of. I'm sure there are more because that's what old racers like me do.
Alas, I didn't have the ability at the time to make it work with the drive by wire so I abandonded the project as not marketable. I now have that capability and I'm using it to fine tune my Turbo Cooper which in street trim has been reliably putting down over 300whp for the last year. See the sister car in January EuroTuner Mag.
8100 RPMs?!? How was that done?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
If I'm not mistaken, don't they have 2 different exhausts for the Cooper? If so, which one did you have?
Not sure, but I bought it back in 2004 or so and they only had one then, so if you were really curious you could call them.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:24 PM
justintime
6th Gear
8100 RPMs?!? How was that done?
if there was headwork + cam combo to handle the higher rpm.. im guessing they just raised the rev limiter?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
What would I have to do in order to get that title
Be happy with what you hear in your ears, as for what's pleasing to one may not be pleasing to another.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yumhaggis
Be happy with what you hear in your ears, as for what's pleasing to one may not be pleasing to another.
but no one can truely be happy all the time anyways right? sides as far as motoring goes its not hard to keep things low/respectable...while still having a hurrican at the track and out of town/neighborhoods

if that made sense

Old 12-07-2006, 05:55 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Aye, perfect sense. I come from the old school of load is good & I had tried it on my 04 JCW/MCS but I didn't make power till around 4,ooo rpm, good for the track but not very for the day to day & inbetween track times, so I went back to stock JCW without a resonator. I now make good power & less noise, it can be done.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Aye, perfect sense. I come from the old school of load is good & I had tried it on my 04 JCW/MCS but I didn't make power till around 4,ooo rpm, good for the track but not very for the day to day & inbetween track times, so I went back to stock JCW without a resonator. I now make good power & less noise, it can be done.
indeed it can, and I love the mystery when I hear a faint rumble from a car

however, I still havn't grown out of my loud and obnoxious stage, lucky for me the closest neighbor is 10 miles away

Old 12-07-2006, 09:01 PM
in the flesh
3rd Gear
10 miles away My neighbor is 10 yards away

Old 12-08-2006, 06:46 AM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by justintime
indeed it can, and I love the mystery when I hear a faint rumble from a car

however, I still havn't grown out of my loud and obnoxious stage, lucky for me the closest neighbor is 10 miles away
Nor have have I, I like LOUD I'm talking 1960/1970's F1 LOUD, make your ears bleed LOUD & I guess I'll have to be happy with my Harley for loud, but the MINI is all about the quest for HP (no not the brown sauce) go fast useable horsepower & if I can do that & not make it easy for the man to find me doing it that't okay too.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
ahh... you finally surfaced!!!

Would you happen to have a video or anything? Revving or drive by doesn't matter, lots of Cooper owners would love to hear it.

Originally Posted by luckydoggarage

Old 12-08-2006, 09:38 PM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nor have have I, I like LOUD I'm talking 1960/1970's F1 LOUD, make your ears bleed LOUD & I guess I'll have to be happy with my Harley for loud, but the MINI is all about the quest for HP (no not the brown sauce) go fast useable horsepower & if I can do that & not make it easy for the man to find me doing it that't okay too.
You have a harley, do you go To sturgis? If so, thats right near me...

Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by flannelhippie
You have a harley, do you go To sturgis? If so, thats right near me...
1999 FLHTCU/I Blue Knight. Sturgis is a must & I've been the last 5 years.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:10 PM
in the flesh
3rd Gear
Just a thought, I really want to rev to 8100 RPMs

Old 12-09-2006, 01:04 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
In the F1 world @ 8100 rpm your almost making power, wick that bad boy up to 12,000 to 14,000 rpm now your cooking.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:09 PM
in the flesh
3rd Gear
Well yeah.. the more the merrier, I crave RPMs, thats why I'm thinking about getting a bike

Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
In the F1 world @ 8100 rpm your almost making power, wick that bad boy up to 12,000 to 14,000 rpm now your cooking.
20k is cooking, I don't have the videos handy but if you search you should be able to find them

Old 12-10-2006, 04:56 PM
justintime
6th Gear

im kinda thinking if the cooper could rev that high there wouldn't be power in that area anyways? haha

Old 12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by justintime
im kinda thinking if the cooper could rev that high there wouldn't be power in that area anyways? haha
Ever miss a shift, I have & I'm sure I've buried the tach more then once.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:46 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well when I had my Cooper, the Remus along with the Moss HAI was pretty throaty and hot that made many MCS owners jealous.

Here's my writeup on the Remus along with sound clips
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ighlight=remus

Old 12-10-2006, 05:55 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Ever miss a shift, I have & I'm sure I've buried the tech more then once.

haha atfirst I interpreted this as you "buried the tech (mechanic) with work" from missing shifts welll.. I've had it bounce off of the rev limiter, but its kinda like my cousins honda.. he can rev up to 10k.. but theres no power up there so why? haha. now if the motor had potential at high revs Id love to make it happen

Quick Reply: The Best Sounding Cooper Ever