Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Anyone fitted Camshafts to their MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:38 AM
The Stump
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone fitted Camshafts to their MCS?

Hello every body!

Well I am here to seek any tips or feedback that I can about the above topic.

I recently visited Japan and dropped in to the MiniMania dealer there - very cool to meet the guys. Anyway I bought the Ultrick Camshaft and have since managed to fit it to my 04 MCS.

Now I know that it only gives a bit more HP, and from having done research since, the camshafts tend to be an option at about the stage 4 sort of level.

My MCS has not had much done to it - catback exhaust, and about to fit m7 pulley and CAI (Custom job using CDA Airbox). The change in performance is almost impossible to feel (so a bit dissapointing) but the most annoying thing is that the engine revs do not return to idle as quickly as they should anymore. i.e. when you back off the throttle and depress the clutch to change gear the engine revs remain high and (due to taking the load off by depressing the clutch) the engine spins up. Revs take about 2 to 3 seconds now to return to idle, rather than the quick response it had with the stock cam. Also the pop and burble has been taken out of the exhaust - but that could be because the revs are not dying back quickly enough.

So... Has anyone out there had any experience with fitting mild cams to their MCS' and had the same problem? Better still does anyone know if this little problem could be a "mapping" issue that could be fixed with an ECU upgrade? It seems to me that the symptoms include the fact that the throttle body is not closing as quick (perhaps due to greater airflow holding it open?) - So the throttle body being "fly by wire" is controlled by a servo and therefore the ECU, but perhaps the answer could be as simple as a slightly stronger spring on the throttle body butterfly? Any ideas? It's giving me the Irits!

O

Old 05-02-2006, 05:29 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MeisterMini
Hello every body!

Well I am here to seek any tips or feedback that I can about the above topic.

I recently visited Japan and dropped in to the MiniMania dealer there - very cool to meet the guys. Anyway I bought the Ultrick Camshaft and have since managed to fit it to my 04 MCS.

Now I know that it only gives a bit more HP, and from having done research since, the camshafts tend to be an option at about the stage 4 sort of level.

My MCS has not had much done to it - catback exhaust, and about to fit m7 pulley and CAI (Custom job using CDA Airbox). The change in performance is almost impossible to feel (so a bit dissapointing) but the most annoying thing is that the engine revs do not return to idle as quickly as they should anymore. i.e. when you back off the throttle and depress the clutch to change gear the engine revs remain high and (due to taking the load off by depressing the clutch) the engine spins up. Revs take about 2 to 3 seconds now to return to idle, rather than the quick response it had with the stock cam. Also the pop and burble has been taken out of the exhaust - but that could be because the revs are not dying back quickly enough.

So... Has anyone out there had any experience with fitting mild cams to their MCS' and had the same problem? Better still does anyone know if this little problem could be a "mapping" issue that could be fixed with an ECU upgrade? It seems to me that the symptoms include the fact that the throttle body is not closing as quick (perhaps due to greater airflow holding it open?) - So the throttle body being "fly by wire" is controlled by a servo and therefore the ECU, but perhaps the answer could be as simple as a slightly stronger spring on the throttle body butterfly? Any ideas? It's giving me the Irits!

O
I'm a bit surprised that you did the cam before the pulley but before you get disheartened get the pulley and CAI "fitted" and then look for a re-tune of the ECU or a piggyback solution...... I just went from a "mild" Schrick cam to the "race cam" and there is a bit of "hang on" with the throttle....hmmm I am not reading much into it yet.....but that is why your post caught my attention..... good luck

Old 05-02-2006, 11:30 PM
The Stump
1st Gear
Thanks Spider.

I was figuring that I will hold out until pulley, CAI, and re-map are done. So I will probably lump it till then. I really miss having the exhaust pop and burble at me in surly manner though - always brought a smile to my face.

Cheers mate.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:53 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MeisterMini
Thanks Spider.

I was figuring that I will hold out until pulley, CAI, and re-map are done. So I will probably lump it till then. I really miss having the exhaust pop and burble at me in surly manner though - always brought a smile to my face.

Cheers mate.
I can confirm that my engine "hangs on" some and that is new with this cam..... no idea why.....(maybe one of the more experienced can tell us) what exhaust do you have..... I think you'll get your mojo back after the mods are complete..... keep us posted

Old 05-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Tit
5th Gear
Ah! Meister makes an appearance!

Sounds like it's time for a pulley change to me!

Old 05-03-2006, 03:04 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
EXCUSE me this is the Performance Mods :: Cooper (non S) topic.

Admin: can we move this to the appropriate forum?

Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 PM
The Stump
1st Gear
Fair call - Sorry about that. I failed to notice the "(non S)" for some reason that I can not explain.

Please re-locate this thread to the Under the Bonnet section.