Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

ABS desable

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 AM
viensal
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS desable

I Have a 2009 Cooper and I would like to desable on request or at all the ABS. I dont want to go in deep but I live in Quebec and in winter time with snow and Ice it is sometime really ennoying to have wheels still turning when you want them to be bloked.

Could it be possible to desable the ABS electronically instead of removing sensors, that also control the stability and traction control ?

Old 12-11-2013, 02:21 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So you want to disable a safety feature that actually helps you control the car and come to a safe stop rather than locking the wheels up and having no control other than just sliding? I guess I don't follow. It's taught, in older cars without ABS, how to pump the brakes to keep control while stopping as quickly as possible...the ABS is doing that FOR you, far quicker and better than you could. Why disable that?

Old 12-11-2013, 02:56 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If its the same as the R53, all you do is remove one ABS sensor and the whole system will stop working.
Beware, your electronic brake distribution will be affected, and DSC will not function properly. And your dash will light up like a Christmas tree.

In an event of a crash, and your ABS was discovered to be disabled, your insurance will not cover it.
Just don't do it.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Have a 2009 Cooper and I would like to desable on request or at all the ABS. I dont want to go in deep but I live in Quebec and in winter time with snow and Ice it is sometime really ennoying to have wheels still turning when you want them to be bloked.

on snow and ice, the LAST thing you want is to completely lock up the wheels.

on ice, when you lock up the wheels, the car doesnt stop any faster....it goes into an uncontrollable skid.

when the wheels still are able to spin, it allows them to keep some traction and help guide/ stop the vehicle.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 AM
viensal
Neutral
abs

Thanks guys for your opinions, but that is not my question, i dont understand the needs to add personal opinion and at the limit imply that im am stupid.

Do I always have to said that I'm a rally driver and my 500hp WRX did not have any electronic control device on it, to not be treated as a retarded...

I also suggest to be more informed about ABS limitation on ICE, stopping distance and car control its well documented.

Thanks GEMSTER for your information that is what I want to know.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
German manufacturers always used to offer a switch to disable the ABS precisely because ABS is not a benefit at very slow speeds in snow, where a locked wheel pushing a wedge of snow stops quicker than a braked wheel riding on top of the snow.

But they stopped doing that pretty quickly - maybe people were crashing because they had switched off their ABS when they meant to switch off their heated seat...

Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 AM
captainslow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Angib
German manufacturers always used to offer a switch to disable the ABS precisely because ABS is not a benefit at very slow speeds in snow, where a locked wheel pushing a wedge of snow stops quicker than a braked wheel riding on top of the snow.

But they stopped doing that pretty quickly - maybe people were crashing because they had switched off their ABS when they meant to switch off their heated seat...
I had a UrS4 with ABS defeat and it was so nice in the snow. Those who say it sends you into an "uncontrollable" skid may not have much experience driving in the snow, because it adds another dimension of control into the equation. That being said, around town I believe ABS is necessary, but when you're hooning or on a closed ice course, ABS is a buzzkill.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I always have to said that I'm a rally driver and my 500hp WRX did not have any electronic control device on it, to not be treated as a retarded...

I also suggest to be more informed about ABS limitation on ICE, stopping distance and car control its well documented.

Thanks GEMSTER for your information that is what I want to know.
the fact that you are a 'rally driver' means nothing, theres no certification process necessary to call your seldf a 'rally driver'......technically anyone who runs a TSD rally can call themselves a 'rally driver'.....

you should knoiw as well as anyone that you cant drive a street the same way you can a rally stage......

had a UrS4 with ABS defeat and it was so nice in the snow. Those who say it sends you into an "uncontrollable" skid may not have much experience driving in the snow, because it adds another dimension of control into the equation. That being said, around town I believe ABS is necessary, but when you're hooning or on a closed ice course, ABS is a buzzkill.
wheels locking up + ice = skid = not in control, i dont care who you are or how 'in controll' you may feel.

ive lived my entire life in New England, and have driven in just about every weather condition imaginable....NEVER once have i ever thought "damn, i really with my wheels would lock up on me right now"

on a track, fine....on the street, please keep your ABS on.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The OP wants to turn off his ABS; no lecture from me. How about simply removing one (or both) of the ABS fuses in the under hood fuse panel. Simple experiment: pull one and see what happens. If you like the result, you can always rig a switch so you can disable the system at will from inside the vehicle.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:16 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just like on other car forums with people asking how to disable their max speed limiter on their street car, threads like this should get a forum-wide cold shoulder. Why should anyone take the time to help some "hooning" punk to disable a valuable safety feature on their car that doesn't just make their car less safe for them, but others on the road as well when they drive their abs-less car on icy streets because somehow they think they can do it better than the computer can. Sorry, but that's just how I see this.... not deserving of a constructive answer because it's ****ing stupid.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:34 AM
DHCmini
Neutral
Lol funny thread to read... I wonder how many replied not having driven in snow...