Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

R50 - Borla vs. Megan exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM
DOMINICoopeR50
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R50 - Borla vs. Megan exhaust advice

So I know there have been plenty of reviews about the Megan catback for the r50, and I know there have been reviews for the Borla catback, but does anybody have any personal experience with BOTH exhaust systems? I've read good things about both but im having trouble comparing them side by side. Specifically, I'm wondering how they sound compared to one another (im under the impression the megan is a little louder?), highway drone, etc. Price isn't a concern, i know the borla is more expensive. I've always loved borla products but I also think its awesome how the megan is custom made for us NAMers.

Sorry if this seems like an annoying post based on the reviews already out there but I just wanna make sure i have the best possible comparison before i pull the trigger on one of these.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Sorry, I don't have personal experience with either, although they were two I had considered about a year ago. I ended up choosing the JCW sports exhaust. As of that time, it was still "available." Available meaning there were none in the country, but they shipped one in from Germany (yes, Germany) to the dealer I used in California, who then shipped to me. It's not terribly much more than the Borla's normal price. But when I was looking, summitracing.com had the Borla at a pretty attractive price.

I'll tell you that I'm satisfied with the sound, fit, and finish of the JCW piece. It's reportedly the quietest of the three, and no drone. Nice tone with the windows down around town, but you can live in a nice neighborhood, and not be the scourge. If my car wasn't an actual JCW R50, I probably would have gone with the Borla. But I wanted to keep it all in the family.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:22 PM
DOMINICoopeR50
2nd Gear
thanks man i appreciate the advice, i am starting to lean towards the borla I think but im pretty sure I cant go wrong either way. you might be making my decision harder for me, i might have to start looking around for some JCW exhausts hanging around for sale.

also GLWS of your r50 i just read your post and thats one sick little ride. if i was in the market for another id probably take a trip down to CT from Boston to check it out

Old 07-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Naughty_Dog
Neutral
Even though I do not have experience with both exhausts, I just recently had the Borla Aggressive installed on my R53 through summit racing. No problems shipping and the exhaust literally will rip you a new one; I will say there is a bit of a drone, but if you want your mini to sound like an STI and wake up the neighborhood, I definitely recommend it. So many smiles have been had since this was installed! 10/10

Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Borla is nice. I got a used one in the marketplace here and I like it. It isn't too loud and doesn't drone much, has a nice pop and burble on decel but not a ton. It has a deep, mellow tone to it. Nice build quality. Here's a youtube clip of it installed on my car.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:05 PM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm cheap, and I thought I wanted a Megan until I drove a friends MINI with one.. While fun for a short spin it was too loud for me and too much drone at highway speeds for longer trips.

I spent the extra money, got the Borla and have been very happy with it.

Last edited by ernesto; 07-14-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Danny - You ended up with the Borla from Goin440, IIRC. Same guy who sold me the 522 Kit. I wanted to buy that exaust, but you beat me to it. Glad you are enjoying it.

Naughty - As far as I know, there was no "agressive" Borla for the R50, as there is for the R53. From what I understand, the Borla for the R50 is quieter than the R50 Megan. And both of those are louder than the JCW.

Ernesto - Thanks for the input. Many of us (not me) want an authoritative exhaust. But I was always under the impression that the Megan was on the loud side for my tastes. While that is subjective, your comment confirms my thought, and hopefully helps others who may be looking for something more tame.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Oh, and OP: If you find yourself my way, I'm more than happy to let you hear my exhaust.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 PM
DOMINICoopeR50
2nd Gear
Thanks everyone for your input, I pulled the trigger on the borla ($520 shipped from amazon???) I can't wait for it to arrive and I hope to have it on by the weekend.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:27 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great choice. My R50 had it from the previous owner and I loved the way it sounded. I had an R56 at the time and was worried the NA car would be anemic and not fun. It was more fun and I loved the sound.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 PM
DOMINICoopeR50
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Great choice. My R50 had it from the previous owner and I loved the way it sounded. I had an R56 at the time and was worried the NA car would be anemic and not fun. It was more fun and I loved the sound.
For some reason I'm partial towards NA cars, probably because like you said they're just more fun IMO, no lag etc... Also if anyone happens to read this comparison I will say that the borla catback is incredible, beautiful tone that doesn't sound like anything I've heard before and it can roar when you get on it. I hope to get a YouTube video up soon.