Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

CVT to 6 Speed Getrag Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:24 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by matthew1619
I will post a parts list of what it required to do the swap soon.
Looking forward to this whenever you get around to it!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!! I have been driving the car off and on for 10 days. Nothing has happened with regards to ECM failure or Engine Malfunction. The SES light is on and that has to be addressed, so I will get the ECM flashed. I plan on using Way Motor Works, I will let you know how much it costs and how efficient it is. In the state of Texas, you cannont pass inspection with an SES light, so in order to get it inspected again, this must be fixed. If I didnt need an inspection, I cant see that it would not run successfully the way that it is currently.

Blessings,

Tommy Snyder

www.snyderdavissmith.com

Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Just contacted Way Motor Works. They want me to bring the car to them. There is no way to remotely flash the ECM, so, I am looking into my next option. Not shipping the car to GA! There has to be a way to make this computer believe that everything is ok - Perception is Reality, so if the computer can percieve it, it will be. Anyone have any ideas??

Old 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Just contacted Way Motor Works. They want me to bring the car to them. There is no way to remotely flash the ECM, so, I am looking into my next option. Not shipping the car to GA! There has to be a way to make this computer believe that everything is ok - Perception is Reality, so if the computer can percieve it, it will be. Anyone have any ideas??
Interesting. A little surprised they would need the car - good to know.

Other threads here have mentioned RPM Motorsport in Canada is also capable of doing a re-flash. Try contacting them, maybe they don't need the car...

http://www.rpmmotorsport.net/

Old 06-20-2011, 03:01 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Checked with RPM Motorsports - They want me to supply a used Manual ECM and pay $325.00 for the flash, so we're talking over $500.00 - Thats not feasible for someone on a budget and thats what I am trying to accomplish here. So far all in I have less than $2000 involved including clutch - pressure plate - flywheel - alxles and all periphials - This includes transmission as well. So I dont believe that I should spend 1/4 of my entire cost and spend it on a ECM flash. There is another alternative. I think that I will start by putting a computer on it and getting the intial codes. Once I identify the specific sensor problems, I will try to come up with a way to trick the ECM. If I can accomplish that, then you will only be without cruise control. If anyone has any insight, let me know.

Tommy
www.snyderdavissmith.com

Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you just send the ECM to Way? That's how I thought it worked....Overnight it twice....be driving by the weekend.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Checked with RPM Motorsports - They want me to supply a used Manual ECM and pay $325.00 for the flash, so we're talking over $500.00 - Thats not feasible for someone on a budget and thats what I am trying to accomplish here. So far all in I have less than $2000 involved including clutch - pressure plate - flywheel - alxles and all periphials - This includes transmission as well. So I dont believe that I should spend 1/4 of my entire cost and spend it on a ECM flash. There is another alternative. I think that I will start by putting a computer on it and getting the intial codes. Once I identify the specific sensor problems, I will try to come up with a way to trick the ECM. If I can accomplish that, then you will only be without cruise control. If anyone has any insight, let me know.

Tommy
www.snyderdavissmith.com
Wow - under $2k is pretty amazing for this swap. When I started to look into the swap for mine, my estimate for parts was easily $1-2K more. If you can't find an alternate solution with tricking the ECM and have go with Way or RPM for the fix, I think you would still have done amazingly well budget-wise...

Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Densmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what Way charges, but I'll wager they'll ultimately want to do the same thing, and I'd be surprised if the cost is much different. One other far-fetched option is to get the DME, EWS, keys and transponder ring from a wrecked man-trans MINI and swap everything. Depending on the parts yard you deal with, it might be worth the hassle.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We would actually reprogram his current ECU, NOT replace it. That's what the RPM shop is going to do. If I make it back out to TX I'd be happy to do it, but not any plans right now.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Way, why does the reprogram require the entire car and not just the ECU?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Because I have to make a log of all the faults that are occuring, then we have to write the code to either ignore what is causing them, or make it accept the new signals.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Makes sense. I'm guessing after you do it once you'll know all the changes that have to be made and could then do it with just the ECU?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 AM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Thanks for the Offer Way!!!! - I appreciate that. I drove it into work this morning and its amazing how great it runs. This is the best idea for anyone who has a mini with a catastrophic CVT. The only parts that you need are:
1. Manual Transmission
2. Clutch Brake Pedal Assembly
3. Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder
4. Feeder Line from Brake Master Cylinder
5. Fluid Line from Clutch Master to Clutch Slave
6. Clutch/Pressure Plate/Throw Out Bearing Assembly (18 tooth)
7. Left and Right Axles
8. Mini Cooper S Flywheel
9. Shifter Assembly
10. Shifter **** and Boot

I bought everything except the one axle, clutch/Pressure Plate Assembly and Flywheel from a guy that had stripped a mini for $1600.00 - Thats the way to do it. You can find them, you just have to look around. Obviously patients will get you a better deal. I basically took the entire front end apart but it only took me 14 hours to diassemble (because I had never laid eyes on a mini cooper) and 10 hours to put everything back together. The entire car is modular and if you have any mechanical skills, you can do this swap.

Way - Is there a computer program that can be bought on the market that would allow me or anyone else the ability to change the software? I wouldnt mind having that for the mini and my other BMW's. What do you use?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
!!!!!!!!!ECM Problem Solved!!!!!!!

Alright - After a little research, I have figured this out. I have ordered the software and the OBD II interface that is needed to access the ECM. When it arrives, I will flash the ECM myself. It all boils down to accessing the CPU and turning off the problems. Also in the ECM, it appears that there is an Automatic Eprom, that has to be removed from the ECM at the time of flashing. The software will also allow me to reset the airbag light that I currently have which saves an additional $180 at the dealer. I knew there was an economical solution. I will post all of my findings once the sofware and interface arrive.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Silver253
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribed

Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Subscribed -- I know I'm going to need this eventually.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 PM
FlzRider
3rd Gear
Wow! Really looking forward to your results. Keep us updated!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Good luck, I think its odd that you remove a chip?? but I guess we'll see.

Yes buying the whole package is the best way to do it. We've actually got a complete car that we are going to put a package together from since we are parting it out.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 PM
matthew1619
1st Gear
Speculating on the Chip, but possibility. If you are selling packages, somebody needs to make a note of this. Buying the entire setup will save you time and money finding things. It was the small things that were the most difficult - for example, the bolts that are used for flywheel to crankshaft. You will not find those - possibly at the local bolt store, but I live in Dallas and none of them had one - I had to order flywheel bolts as well. They were all too long, so I had to cut them down. The threads were a 9mm. Also when I ordered the clutch pack, they sent me a 14 tooth the first time which is the small one. I needed the 18 tooth. If you can get the whole thing at one time, you will make your life alot easier. I will post my findings when I open up the new interface and software!!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Densmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good idea, Tom. At the very least, you can reset your immobilizer if i does go out of sync. and be back on the road in no time.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
I have ordered the software and the OBD II interface that is needed to access the ECM.
Awesome find! Do you have a link to this and/or the vendor's contact info?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM
matthew1619
1st Gear
I do have a link and a vendor contact, but let me get it in and hooked up first before everyone goes out and buys one. I will also post some instructions on how to use it. I want to make sure that it works correctly first. This could actually be revolutionary for everyone, because it could take care of alot of problems that would normally force us to be at the mercy of someone else (the dealer).

Blessings,

Tommy
www.snyderdavissmith.com

Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
You can't just buy a Manual ECU and flash it with your VIN. You need to either convert ALL the ECUS in your car to a set from another car, With this option your computers will keep the vin and codes from the car that you take them from. Or have your ECU reprogrammed to be a Manual trans. But the dealer can't do that, you need someone like us that can change the coding.
interesting, how much do you charge for reflashes?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:40 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
I do have a link and a vendor contact, but let me get it in and hooked up first before everyone goes out and buys one. I will also post some instructions on how to use it. I want to make sure that it works correctly first. This could actually be revolutionary for everyone, because it could take care of alot of problems that would normally force us to be at the mercy of someone else (the dealer).

Blessings,

Tommy
www.snyderdavissmith.com
Tommy, any news on whether the software and OBDII interface worked out for reflashing yourself?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 AM
matthew1619
1st Gear
I just got the interface in and I gave it a half hearted try yesterday. I couldnt get it to link up, but then realized that the lighter fuse was blown and the OBD2 interface had no power. I will give it an attempt this evening and report back...
The ECU did in fact go into immobilization mode, so after about 200 miles of driving, it shut the car down. I'll get it all figured out and make some nice neat package out of it!!! LOL

Quick Reply: CVT to 6 Speed Getrag Swap