Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Intermittent misfire.. Help? Please.. New mini driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Shewbodmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent misfire.. Help? Please.. New mini driver

Hello, I have recently purchased an 04 mini with 100,ooo kms. It is under dealer satisfaction warrantee, and they have fixed a number of things... New standard transmission, clutch, fuel injector and coil pack. I continue to have an intermittent misfire, not predictable in any way, but often in second gear while the engine is under load. The car is in the shop now and they are trying to get to the bottom of it, and have not been charging me for this work, as it is still under then satisfaction warrantee. I asked for a compression test, and they said that may be a next step and that a full tune up might be needed. They also suggested they might need to buy the car back from me, but I love it and since so much has been done, I don't want to give up.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM
roymo
2nd Gear
Many years back, I had a similar unpredictable misfire in a brand new 2006 MCSC. The car would go weeks without any problems and then it would misfire twice in the same day. When the car had a misfire, it would go into "limp" mode and barely run. Turning the car off and on again would sometimes "fix" it. It was very frustrating because the dealer could never reproduce the problem. However, they did eventually decide it was the flywheel. They replaced the flywheel and I never had the problem again. Did the dealer replace the flywheel when working on the transmission and clutch?

Unfortunately, there are a lot of potential causes for sporadic random misfires, but once they have eliminated the more common ones, then you might suggest the flywheel as potential culprit.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Shewbodmini
Neutral
Intermittent misfire

Thanks, I will ask about that :-)