Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

R56 HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:21 PM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rayyy
I can't help you with the DDM tuning kit install as I did not install it. It's sitting in the corner collecting dust.
Hmm willing to sell it? What are the specs on the kit?

Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM
jcarlos914
3rd Gear
Theres really no trick to installing the kit. You just plug everything up to its connections put the bulb in the housing and run the red wire to the battery and find a good ground. If you need me to post pics of how mine is put on let me know.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:49 PM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jcarlos914
Theres really no trick to installing the kit. You just plug everything up to its connections put the bulb in the housing and run the red wire to the battery and find a good ground. If you need me to post pics of how mine is put on let me know.
That would be great! I'm just wondering if it'll be alot different than the 2011 MCS's which is what i have that's why.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 PM
rayyy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NintenTom
Hmm willing to sell it? What are the specs on the kit?
I am willing to sell it. Where are you located? Shipping would be a waste of money. Please send me a PM.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
09OBMC
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried the DDM kit in my wife's 09' and it wouldn't work with the Error Code Eliminators. It also didn't work without the eliminators, the car just wouldn't run HID's no matter what I tried. They would run great for a few miles then one would go out and when high beams were on they flickered real bad. I am guessing the car voltage was too low.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 PM
jcarlos914
3rd Gear
I'm not sure what that problem could be. My ddm kit always starts up fine and runs fine besides the bulb out code and flicker on high beam. Are you're connections right?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 PM
dspeewee
Neutral
ANyone tried just a low beam kit?

I am trying to figure this out as well and it seems there is no "one" answer. Some people have luck, some dont. I bought a hi/low kit off ebay and one side doesnt want to work right. it connects to the battery. The light out code is also tripping on my car. Not sure what the solution is. others have had luck with running resistors. I was close to ordering a DDM kit but I talked tot he guy and his notes said that people with Mini's have not had luck with the code out eliminators.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:04 AM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dspeewee
I am trying to figure this out as well and it seems there is no "one" answer. Some people have luck, some dont. I bought a hi/low kit off ebay and one side doesnt want to work right. it connects to the battery. The light out code is also tripping on my car. Not sure what the solution is. others have had luck with running resistors. I was close to ordering a DDM kit but I talked tot he guy and his notes said that people with Mini's have not had luck with the code out eliminators.
It seems the high/low kits have more problems than just the single-beam kits. My friends retro-solutions HID kit also exhibits similar problems. When she uses the highs, only 1 side goes on and we've tried swapping bulbs, ballasts etc and same problem. If anything, i'd just stick with the single beam 35W kits that let you plug and play which is what my setup is now (no messy harness or extra wires). And as for the bulb error, i just ordered one of those OBD2 connectors and plan to learn to use NCS Expert to get rid of those pesky errors when it comes in the mail.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:49 PM
xhrl
Neutral
DDM's HID kit has failed me, and it only connects one side of the factory harness so the error code is unavoidable. Returning the whole dang thing and buying a different kit, anyone know of a kit that works well? highs and lows?

Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 AM
AUTO Design
Former Vendor
We sell premium error free HID kit that will eliminate the flickering/power up issue guarantee! however the code will be still there. but other than that, everything works fine

I installed a set of single beam 35W kits on my 2010 MINI cooper S, it start soild every time when I start the car! never flicker or one side off issue

Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 PM
xhrl
Neutral
Originally Posted by AUTO Design
We sell premium error free HID kit that will eliminate the flickering/power up issue guarantee! however the code will be still there. but other than that, everything works fine

I installed a set of single beam 35W kits on my 2010 MINI cooper S, it start soild every time when I start the car! never flicker or one side off issue
Price? Website link? and would using an error code eliminator solve this problem? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-HID-Warn...ht_5873wt_1270

Old 02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
jobsori
2nd Gear
I'm running HID kit with NO errors or codes. It doesn't even tap into the Battery. Only downside, only Lo-Beam is HID. High beam is still yellow but.....how often do you use high-beam?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:39 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
what kit are you running?

Old 02-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Ankur194
Neutral
Originally Posted by jobsori
I'm running HID kit with NO errors or codes. It doesn't even tap into the Battery. Only downside, only Lo-Beam is HID. High beam is still yellow but.....how often do you use high-beam?

Which kit? Direct plug and Play?

Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 PM
conrad0102
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by brandon_h
sry bud, been super busy with summer school. i made no holes what so ever. i really dont understand why u need to drill holes and stuff... the wires plug directly into the factory bulb plug...

this is what the kit looks like.
1.so you connect the ecu bulb out override to the stock bulb harness. you just plug it in. so the car will actually let you run the HID. (our cars if you dont have this it will think the light bulb burnt out and not let you run the headlight at all.)
2. connect that to the ballast
3. connnect ballast to the HID bulb.
4. screw in bulb like you would your stock ones.
5.cram all the stuff back into the housing and close it up.
6. ur done! no dis-assembly, cutting, drilling. just straight plugging
*** that other black wire you see bottom right is not a headlgiht wire, its the washer fluid line.***

What kit did you buy and do you mind telling how much you paid?

Old 11-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Dark
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(I understand this is an old thread)

The cheap route is never the best route.

You're better off saving up the money until you can afford proper headlights that support HIDs. You're increased visibility sacrifices others. Driving in fog is nearly impossible with HIDs in a halogen housing. I won't even bring up the loss of highbeams.

Why not try:
Better halogen bulbs
External driving light kit

Aside from the immense glare it just looks cheap, like you can't afford to do it right.