Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

The Forgotten Generation

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:57 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Obviously a S or a JCW will be faster (powerwise out of the box anyways) but I for one do not look down because someone chose to drive a justacooper or an S rather than what I prefer. I'm just thrilled that there are more mini owners regardless of model.

Jim,

Unless there is some reason why these wouldn't work, I'm going to stick with my recommendation of the NM engr'ing springs. My last '08 MCSa I had JCW springs and though they were okay, they only lowered the car 1/4"

The NM springs not only lower it perfectly, the handling is phenomonal. I was turned on to these springs last year and have suggested them to at least half a dozen people who have bought them. I've never heard a complaint.

Again, I can't speak for everyone else but though really lowered looks cool, for me, it's not practical. I've got 25K miles on my car in less than a year, there is no way I could stand a crappy ride or bottoming out everytime I hit a speedbump, etc, etc.

So unless someone can tell me why NM springs wouldn't work on a justa, that's my recommendation.

Mark
I am a bit concerned about lowering. I think it look cool as well, but I live on a farm, have a rough driveway, often park in pastures at horse shows etc. I sometimes drag as it is.

Jim

Old 05-29-2010, 06:02 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
2007?

I graduated, ah, well, errrr, let's put it this way.... you probably weren't even born when I graduated.

God I feel old.

I'm gonna go sell the mini and buy a buick.

Mark
No need to get as drastic as buying a Buick. I graduated high school in 65 and my Cooper reminds me a lot of my Spitfire.

I guess that is why I am so interested in fixing her up. I couldn't afford to when I had the TR.

Jim

Old 05-29-2010, 07:00 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbewley
No need to get as drastic as buying a Buick. I graduated high school in 65 and my Cooper reminds me a lot of my Spitfire.

I guess that is why I am so interested in fixing her up. I couldn't afford to when I had the TR.

Jim

Old 05-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
Are you talking about Grouppe 4 and their wings, splitters and rear diffusers? Cause that is what it looks like and they were the only ones doing any product showcase at the Dragon.
Yeah, that's who he's talking about. They aren't vendors here, however, so he's erring on the side of caution by not "advertising" their name.

That said, I can't imagine it's against the rules to simply talk about the products of non-vendors.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:00 PM
tmo8462
4th Gear
Herleman your ECU wont adjust for the now added ability to breathe better, with a tune yes it could. I've put a larger exhaust on mine and I havent noticed a huge difference in change of MPG. There's been a few ppl like stated before that have done tunes on Justa's, but what's the sense honestly to pay up to $600 for a tune that your only going to get only a few hp from it. The main reason for the tune on a "S" is to max out the full potential with your boost and use your mod's to help you with it. RMW does a tune for both the "S" and "Justa's". Steps for it are pretty much, send them a list of all power mods when paying for it, they send you the actual tool, then you hook it up to your ECU, you hook it up to your computer and send them the info off it via email. The configure a tune and then you pay for the tune program and they send it to you via email. Hook the tool back up to your computer and then download the program to it, then hook the tool up to your ECU again and upload the program to it. There might be some steps I'm missing here but it's pretty much the just of it. Nothing really hard to it just cost's a lot of money for it. As far as the exhaust from VIP, Herleman have you heard anything else from them? I visited their site the other day and still have yet to see it posted up on there, after waiting for over 6 months since I was told it would be.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tmo8462
Herleman your ECU wont adjust for the now added ability to breathe better, with a tune yes it could. I've put a larger exhaust on mine and I havent noticed a huge difference in change of MPG. There's been a few ppl like stated before that have done tunes on Justa's, but what's the sense honestly to pay up to $600 for a tune that your only going to get only a few hp from it. The main reason for the tune on a "S" is to max out the full potential with your boost and use your mod's to help you with it. RMW does a tune for both the "S" and "Justa's". Steps for it are pretty much, send them a list of all power mods when paying for it, they send you the actual tool, then you hook it up to your ECU, you hook it up to your computer and send them the info off it via email. The configure a tune and then you pay for the tune program and they send it to you via email. Hook the tool back up to your computer and then download the program to it, then hook the tool up to your ECU again and upload the program to it. There might be some steps I'm missing here but it's pretty much the just of it. Nothing really hard to it just cost's a lot of money for it. As far as the exhaust from VIP, Herleman have you heard anything else from them? I visited their site the other day and still have yet to see it posted up on there, after waiting for over 6 months since I was told it would be.
I read someplace that VIP decided not to make the justa exhaust. I had talked to them about it as well and they assured me they were going to make one, but looks like they changed their minds. I honstly never considered a tune.

Jim

Old 05-31-2010, 04:24 AM
tmo8462
4th Gear
I read someplace that VIP decided not to make the justa exhaust. I had talked to them about it as well and they assured me they were going to make one, but looks like they changed their minds. I honstly never considered a tune.

Jim
jbewley last email I had gotten from VIP stated that they put it on hold if not off period due to a rise in BMW 135i parts that were in demand. And don't bother with a tune, it's not worth the money unless you can do it yourself.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:35 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tmo8462
jbewley last email I had gotten from VIP stated that they put it on hold if not off period due to a rise in BMW 135i parts that were in demand. And don't bother with a tune, it's not worth the money unless you can do it yourself.
I have plenty of other things to do first, so perhaps they will change their minds down the road. From Fatman's post the OBX is a PITA. I'm interested to see what he thinks of it down the road.

Jim

Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Wheels are not may area of knowledge, but I found some I like. Went to the site and saw this:

Rota Slipstream 15x7 Mini fitment
+40 offset. May not fit GP or R56 cars because of rear trailing arm clearance.

Thoughts or advice?

Jim

Old 05-31-2010, 11:19 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice wheels. I have 17x7.5's with +40 offset and they haven't rubbed or hit anything.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:16 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Nice wheels. I have 17x7.5's with +40 offset and they haven't rubbed or hit anything.
Any major difference between staying with 15 or going with 16? Not sure I want to go above that as ride will most likely suffer some.

Jim

Old 05-31-2010, 01:03 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
BTW: If there are any vets in this group "Thanks For Serving".

Jim

Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Any major difference between staying with 15 or going with 16? Not sure I want to go above that as ride will most likely suffer some.

Jim
Make up your mind man, you want stiffer suspension but don't want stiffer tires!? haha just kiddin' around.

My OEM wheels were the little light 12 lb 15x5's and I didn't really notice much of a difference in ride quality/harshness. The wheels are a lot wider though which I think made a big difference in handling. The car seems to stick to the ground a lot more.

If you could find a set of 16x7s, IMO that would be perfect for what you're looking for.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Ok, so I am still trying to figure out what I want (need) and that is why you are here.

I'll take your advice and look for 16x7. See, I listen.

Jim

Old 05-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blainestang
Yeah, that's who he's talking about. They aren't vendors here, however, so he's erring on the side of caution by not "advertising" their name.

That said, I can't imagine it's against the rules to simply talk about the products of non-vendors.
If I am not mistaken there is a thread about them. Their website isn't up yet so they really aren't even selling unless you can get ahold of them and have them come and install what you want.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:49 PM
tmo8462
4th Gear
BTW: If there are any vets in this group "Thanks For Serving".

Jim
Your welcome and thanks as well.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm a vet, but not the type you're referring to, but thanks!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by veggivet
I'm a vet, but not the type you're referring to, but thanks!
Having 10 horses, four dogs and three cats, that to you as well.

Jim