Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

The Forgotten Generation

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbewley
I questioned this as well and have been told by the designers that the down force effect will start around 45 mph and multiply from there. It has been tested at highway and track conditions.

Jim
Oh, I agree... I wasn't saying it doesn't work but rather by the times you could go fast enough to make a difference, you would be in triple digits. (100+)

Though measurable in some infinite amount, I doubt running the dragon at 45mph would make a car "handle better" because of it.

Mark

Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Oh, I agree... I wasn't saying it doesn't work but rather by the times you could go fast enough to make a difference, you would be in triple digits. (100+)

Though measurable in some infinite amount, I doubt running the dragon at 45mph would make a car "handle better" because of it.

Mark
I can not disagree at all, but it wouldn't hurt and it would look really good in the Killboy photos.

Jim

Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The S spolier and the attachment lip are two seperate items. The folks working on the GP Wing are using the attachment point for the S spoiler to attach the GP which the justa does not have. I also believe the part that ataches to the hatch has a different number of bolts. Not sure, but this is what I've been told.

Jim
People with on this forum with plain MC's trade spoilers with people with MCS's all the time. Find someone that would want to trade with you (depending on your roof color it might be a little difficult, but if it's just the standard white/black it will be easy). They are easily swapped. Once you have the S spoiler you can get the GP wing.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
They are easily swapped. Once you have the S spoiler you can get the GP wing.

Yeah, for only 2300 bucks... (that was my cost, list was almost 3K)

Mark

Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Yeah, for only 2300 bucks... (that was my cost, list was almost 3K)

Mark
These will not be in that price range. That is part of the idea, make them affordable.

Jim

Old 05-28-2010, 04:15 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
People with on this forum with plain MC's trade spoilers with people with MCS's all the time. Find someone that would want to trade with you (depending on your roof color it might be a little difficult, but if it's just the standard white/black it will be easy). They are easily swapped. Once you have the S spoiler you can get the GP wing.
Good to know. I will follow up on that when the time comes. Thanks and "black" should not be hard.

Jim

Old 05-28-2010, 04:24 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
These will not be in that price range. That is part of the idea, make them affordable.

Jim

Jim,

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the GP spoiler.

Mark

Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Jim,

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the GP spoiler.

Mark
Mark, that is the very one. It is being made by a new company.

Jim

Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Mark, that is the very one. It is being made by a new company.

Jim
Are they making specifically for the R56?

I ask because obviously, the GP spoiler will not fit an R56.

If they are making one, I may have to replace mine.

Mark

Old 05-28-2010, 07:25 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Are they making specifically for the R56?

I ask because obviously, the GP spoiler will not fit an R56.

If they are making one, I may have to replace mine.

Mark
Yes again Mark. They are making it for the R53 and the R56. Test version is out and was seen at the Dragon. More to come as they move forward. It is very nice. I have to figure out how to get it on my R56 non S which I am working on.

Jim

Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Yes again Mark. They are making it for the R53 and the R56. Test version is out and was seen at the Dragon. More to come as they move forward. It is very nice. I have to figure out how to get it on my R56 non S which I am working on.

Jim
That's great... is there an issue getting it on the non S? I would have thought it just bolts on since like everyone has mentioned, people have swapped spoilers all the time.

Let us know.

Mark

Old 05-28-2010, 07:53 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Now I'm confused

If it's exactly like the GP spoiler then why does it attach to the S spoiler? And what company is doing this?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Now I'm confused

Well, that wasn't hard....

There is no such thing as a GP spoiler for an R56, it was only available for the R53.

Apparently Jim said that some company is now in the process of producing a GP spoiler for the R56.

What I was saying that there is no difference between an "S" and non "S" spoiler as far as attachment.

Mark

Old 05-29-2010, 04:01 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Well, that wasn't hard....

There is no such thing as a GP spoiler for an R56, it was only available for the R53.

Apparently Jim said that some company is now in the process of producing a GP spoiler for the R56.

What I was saying that there is no difference between an "S" and non "S" spoiler as far as attachment.

Mark
Let me try to un-confuse you. Let us say it is a re-production of the GP spoiler that attaches to the rear hatch of an R56 (S), using the attachment points for the the OEM spoiler, which would be removed.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails The Forgotten Generation-gp.jpg  
Old 05-29-2010, 04:09 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Let me try to un-confuse you. Let us say it is a re-production of the GP spoiler that attaches to the rear hatch of an R56 (S), using the attachment points for the the OEM spoiler, which would be removed.

Jim

So now that's cleared up... the question remains....

When and how much? I've always wanted one of those spoilers but I've kind of gotten use to mine and depending on price will determine if I get rid of it.

Mark

Old 05-29-2010, 10:43 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
So if the thing fits the S, it will fit the MC..

Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Ultimately, yes.

If it's a "standalone" spoiler, meaning you remove whatever spoiler your car came with and bolt it directly to the hatch, then it fits any car easily.

If it's an "add-on" to a Cooper S spoiler, for instance, then a Cooper will have to get a Cooper S spoiler and the "add-on" spoiler.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:30 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Most likely, but we are waiting to see the final product. It is still in test/design mode right now. Working model only.

Jim

Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
This has been a great thread and I see that others bellieve that under the right conditions the two cars can hold there own against each other. Sometimes I thought I was being looked down at with a justa, but not the case (well, with some I guess it will be) at all.

So, what type shocks, springs etc would give better handling without making the ride unbearable. I know this has been discussed before, but we are talking justa's here.

Jim

Old 05-29-2010, 02:49 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
This has been a great thread and I see that others bellieve that under the right conditions the two cars can hold there own against each other. Sometimes I thought I was being looked down at with a justa, but not the case (well, with some I guess it will be) at all.
Obviously a S or a JCW will be faster (powerwise out of the box anyways) but I for one do not look down because someone chose to drive a justacooper or an S rather than what I prefer. I'm just thrilled that there are more mini owners regardless of model.

So, what type shocks, springs etc would give better handling without making the ride unbearable. I know this has been discussed before, but we are talking justa's here.

Jim
Jim,

Unless there is some reason why these wouldn't work, I'm going to stick with my recommendation of the NM engr'ing springs. My last '08 MCSa I had JCW springs and though they were okay, they only lowered the car 1/4"

The NM springs not only lower it perfectly, the handling is phenomonal. I was turned on to these springs last year and have suggested them to at least half a dozen people who have bought them. I've never heard a complaint.

Again, I can't speak for everyone else but though really lowered looks cool, for me, it's not practical. I've got 25K miles on my car in less than a year, there is no way I could stand a crappy ride or bottoming out everytime I hit a speedbump, etc, etc.

So unless someone can tell me why NM springs wouldn't work on a justa, that's my recommendation.

Mark

Old 05-29-2010, 03:46 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
They would, those were my choice when I was looking at springs. But, winters are pretty heavy here and I need the option to raise the car back up when it snows, so I'm going the coilover route. I'm also going to add a 22mm sway bar at the same time, the car should really stick through the turns then.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:56 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
They would, those were my choice when I was looking at springs. But, winters are pretty heavy here and I need the option to raise the car back up when it snows, so I'm going the coilover route. I'm also going to add a 22mm sway bar at the same time, the car should really stick through the turns then.
Having graduated high school from hamburg (10 miles away from Buffalo) I'm familiar with your winters and it would be hard to think that 3/4" will make a difference.

Can you imagine the issues you're going to have with coilovers after a season of snow, salt and rust?

Good luck either way.

Mark

Old 05-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you talking about Grouppe 4 and their wings, splitters and rear diffusers? Cause that is what it looks like and they were the only ones doing any product showcase at the Dragon.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:20 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Having graduated high school from hamburg (10 miles away from Buffalo) I'm familiar with your winters and it would be hard to think that 3/4" will make a difference.

Can you imagine the issues you're going to have with coilovers after a season of snow, salt and rust?

Good luck either way.

Mark
I graduated from Hamburg too (2007)!
What a coincidence.

You're probably right for the most part. But in the summer I'd like to have the car dropped at least 1.5" with my summer wheels on, then raise it back up to stock height in the winter with my winter wheels. I just couldn't deal with getting springs and the car always being that low.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:02 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
2007?

I graduated, ah, well, errrr, let's put it this way.... you probably weren't even born when I graduated.

God I feel old.

I'm gonna go sell the mini and buy a buick.

Mark

I graduated from Hamburg too (2007)!
What a coincidence.

You're probably right for the most part. But in the summer I'd like to have the car dropped at least 1.5" with my summer wheels on, then raise it back up to stock height in the winter with my winter wheels. I just couldn't deal with getting springs and the car always being that low.

Quick Reply: The Forgotten Generation