Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Clubman CAI

Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by snmblair
Some amazing work and great ideas lately. I was wondering if anyone has used the Helix DDM? I am considering the K&N Apollo or the VIP2, but the DDM looks pretty good too.
Pretty sure the DDM one is only for the 1st gen, or did they come out with a new one?

Old 09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see that everyone seems to lean toward the K&N Apollo which looks to be a PITA to install. The AirVIP2 goes on is under 15 minutes, is secure and has increased not only responce, but I get 45 more miles per tank then without it. This is based on city/back roads, but I have a road trip coming up next week and will see what it does for interstate driving, which should be better. This thing is really a good deal.

Jim

Old 09-13-2009, 02:51 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
I can see that everyone seems to lean toward the K&N Apollo which looks to be a PITA to install. The AirVIP2 goes on is under 15 minutes, is secure and has increased not only responce, but I get 45 more miles per tank then without it. This is based on city/back roads, but I have a road trip coming up next week and will see what it does for interstate driving, which should be better. This thing is really a good deal.

Jim
Glad the VIP worked for you. I did not have that success, I did the VIP setup before the K&N Apollo and honestly did not think the VIP did much but increase noise on my Mini.

The engine revs more freely with the Apollo and mileage has improved, perhaps changing to the larger 3" tubing is the difference on my Mini.

If anyone wants to try the VIP pm me and I will make you a good deal on one.

Last edited by ron-s mini; 09-13-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-13-2009, 03:10 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
Glad the VIP worked for you. I did not have that success, I did the VIP setup before the K&N Apollo and honestly did not think the VIP did much but increase noise on my Mini.

The engine revs more freely with the Apollo and mileage has improved, perhaps changing to the larger 3" tubing is the difference on my Mini.

If anyone wants to try the VIP pm me and I will make you a good deal on one.
That is interesting, honestly. I am getting the idea from a lot of different posts I see, that perhaps all MINI's are not the same in some way or another. As long as we end up with want we were looking for in the end, it does not matter how we get there.

Jim

Old 09-13-2009, 03:30 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
That is interesting, honestly. I am getting the idea from a lot of different posts I see, that perhaps all MINI's are not the same in some way or another. As long as we end up with want we were looking for in the end, it does not matter how we get there.

Jim
Everyone is different and special - What works for one may not work for another.

I enjoy NAM as we can share ideas and learn from each other.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
that perhaps all MINI's are not the same in some way or another.
I think there's an alcoholic somewhere on the MINI assembly line.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:58 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
I think there's an alcoholic somewhere on the MINI assembly line.
drewstermalloy- I feel an alcoholic would be out of character at the Mini plant -- schizophrenic or bipolar -- now those are conditions that seem likely to me.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:06 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ron-s mini
drewstermalloy- I feel an alcoholic would be out of character at the Mini plant -- schizophrenic or bipolar -- now those are conditions that seem likely to me.
It could be either or. They just wants to twek this or that on each MINI and then log onto NAM to watch us debate everything. Most likely they gang up around the coffee pot and say, "Did you read the posts on NAM last night? Too funny".

Jim

Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 AM
ragomini
1st Gear
I just added this tube as I already had the K&N filter. I have noticed a big difference in power responce. Too soon to tell about mpg. I like it and it is a snap to install. I asked VIP about the open cone set up and they said it was just too loud for their liking on the MC which is why they stay with the closed box. I can neither confirm nor deny this statement.

Jim

I know this is an older post, but any update on the VIP tubing that replaces just the intake muffler? I also have the KN drop in and was wondering if I should add the VIP tubing shown in this post. IS IT very noisy with it in? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ragomini
I know this is an older post, but any update on the VIP tubing that replaces just the intake muffler? I also have the KN drop in and was wondering if I should add the VIP tubing shown in this post. IS IT very noisy with it in? Thanks.
NO. There is a nice "growl", but it is not all that noticeable other then to you because you know it is there. My wife has not noticed it. If you run an open cone then it will be very loud, which is why VIP told me they do not offer one.

Jim

Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM
brandon_h
2nd Gear
dunno if this question was answered yet but, what's more important, quantity of air or temperature of air?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Ryankotzin
Neutral
Which induction kit is better?

I Have a mini cooper r56 (non s) 2010. I just got it not to long ago... I love it so far.. I wanted to make it have a little more pep. I only have found two induction kits so far that will work for my car. The first one is the DDMworks Cooper Intake R55,R56,R57. (1st link shown below) The second is the K&N Apollo Induction Kit - R56. Now my question is which one is easier to install? Also which kit makes a larger performance increase. Which air filter would you recommend and why?
Hope to here some good answers!
Thanks for your help NAM users!

DDMworks
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwork...5-r56-r57.html

Apollo
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...?Prod=57A-6033

Old 07-26-2010, 02:25 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryankotzin
I Have a mini cooper r56 (non s) 2010. I just got it not to long ago... I love it so far.. I wanted to make it have a little more pep. I only have found two induction kits so far that will work for my car. The first one is the DDMworks Cooper Intake R55,R56,R57. (1st link shown below) The second is the K&N Apollo Induction Kit - R56. Now my question is which one is easier to install? Also which kit makes a larger performance increase. Which air filter would you recommend and why?
Hope to here some good answers!
Thanks for your help NAM users!

DDMworks
http://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwork...5-r56-r57.html

Apollo
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...?Prod=57A-6033
Just do a search, as this topic has been dicussed a bunch here. I think there is a lot of information in this thread as well.

Jim

Old 07-27-2010, 11:18 PM
pw4
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreed. Also, on another thread somewhere (I've lost track of where) I posted some comparisons I did between standard and the Apollo CAI (ignore the Powerchip figures) - I've attached the link again here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...um_summary.pdf

Note this is Euro spec and I use the tube which comes with the Apollo unit to draw air from the standard hole behind the grille. Subjectively you don't get the same power gain if you just draw in hot air from around the engine, but I haven't measured the difference.

Note that you have to clean the filter according to instructions - the Apollo filter at least (I don't know about the other one) clogs all incoming air if it gets very dirty. I notice on the MCS that Alta uses a foam filter for this reason.