Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Am I wrong to want a classic Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:36 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I wrong to want a classic Mini?

I've wanted a classic Mini ever since seeing them way back in the late 80's in college. I love my 2006 cabrio, but I'm still smitten with the classic Mini... there's just something about them that I love. Well, I'm sure everyone in HERE knows what I mean...

But...

Honestly... I'm not a mechanic. I worked for two years as a service writer in a Honda motorcycle dealership, which more than anything taught me just how much I do NOT know about working on motor vehicles. I can do some basic things (oil changes, bolt-on type MODs, minor electrical and the like), and I have pretty good common sense and can follow instructions, but I'm definitely a mechanical "newb" where classic Minis are concerned, with only basic tools.

This being the case, is it even reasonable for me to look into purchasing a classic, assuming that I were to find a mechanically sound specimin (reasonable rust, engine in workin condition etc.). I'm trying to factor in things like availability/scarcity of parts, availability of mechanics knowlegable enough to assist me if (when) I get stuck, cost of maintaining such a car assuming it's to be garage kept and used as a short-trip driver (I live 5 miles from work), etc.

What do you guys think? Am I kidding myself or is this something that a person of my skill level could consider attempting?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by ImagoX; 04-23-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:52 AM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like you've at least got the garage mechanic skills. the classic minis are pretty simple cars; the *rover* versions are more modern and complicated but still basic compared to our bmw ones. the only caviat, from what i hear, is that they really CAN break down a lot. not to say that they will, but they can, which is reasonable given their age, etc. on the flip side, given how simple they are, at least in my mind, they'd be reasonably easy to fix, as long as you have some skills and the tools, and also (importantly) the money. bear in mind that, for most people, a car like that will likely be a weekend toy, and they're not the most practical nor comfortable, and you should have disposable funds and garage space to keep it and the tools/parts. if so, go for it and you'd be a lucky bastard parts are not that scarce, both here and (especially) across the pond. and here in soCal there's at least one shop that works on 'em and does custom stuff. and any garage/mechanic that works on british cars should be able to work on 'em. and i think bentley still publishes shop manual for 'em

i, for one, almost decided to get a classic instead (i LOVE 'em), and had two very very nice candidates, but don't have garage or tools, with limited funds, and would need this car to be somewhat of a daily driver. when i have enough space/money/age, i'm definitely gonna try to get one. so i hope you get one

Last edited by roaduscarnivorous; 04-23-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Yeah... what you say about the mechanical problems such an old(er) car can have is very valid I think... I'd hesitate to own a car like a classic as my daily driver, but I DO have a very nice '06 that I can drive if something lets go and I have to garage the classic for a few weeks.

I'm much more concerned with tools and parts availability, like you said. Seeing as how there seems to be no shortage of classic and rebuilt classic Minis all over eBay and elsewhere, I assume (dangerous word there, I know) that someone is still making parts for them. I definitely don't have the space or inclination to keep a stable of "parts cars" around my property or anything though, if that's what it takes to kep one running.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 PM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
I have owned my classic for over 4 years now. The majority of the problems that I have had were due to me adding "extras" to my Mini. The best thing about these cars is that they are pretty easy to work on. I have little mechanical skills, but I still seem to manage (with the help of friends ). If it is your weekend car, then if something does go wrong with it you can always opt to fix it later. They are great little cars that are a blast to drive. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
well as for parts, and you probably already know this, two suppliers come to mind. minimania has a catalog just for the classics, and if you don't find what you need on their american catalog you can also order from their uk catalog directly. there's also one in norCal called 7enterprises (www.7ent.com) that specializes in classics. i'm sure there're more. given 5+million minis sold world-wide, there shouldn't be a shortage of parts

Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Yes, I've heard good things about both Minimania and 7enterprises... I figured that since it wouldn't be my only car, if I had to wait to order parts that would be OK.

So, it's sounding like I wouldn't be biting off more than a person like myself could hope to chew if I ended up with a classic (although I hope that others will continue to chime in with good AND bad things you've learned abuot your classic)... Good news.

MiniManiac - what "extras" caused you trouble? Are there any chronic issues you (or anyone else) has seen? I'm looking at buying a classic from someone that rotinely imports from New Zealand (he claims the drier climate is easier on the metalwork - seems to make sense to me).

Old 04-23-2007, 12:27 PM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Mainly from installing parts such as adjustable suspension, arches, wider wheels, etc. You will find out that they don't cost much to repair, but you just can't stop buying all of the little goodies for it!!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
If I were you, I would shop around for your mechanic before you buy the car. Even if you do small maintenance and repairs yourself, you will want someone who can fix the big stuff you cannot or don't want to do.

I've had classic Land Rovers and can attest to the fact that older British cars are easy to work on and hard to keep running.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 PM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here, drink some of this.. (laughs maniacally)
http://superfastminis.com/

Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
If I were you, I would shop around for your mechanic before you buy the car. Even if you do small maintenance and repairs yourself, you will want someone who can fix the big stuff you cannot or don't want to do.

I've had classic Land Rovers and can attest to the fact that older British cars are easy to work on and hard to keep running.
There must be SOMEONE here in central Ohio I'm thinking... I know that there are a few local club members that have classics and I wonder who they use for the big stuff?

Originally Posted by davavd

Oh, you BASTARD. I've seen those VTEC powered monsters, but quite honestly they frighten me. Plus they cost a LOT more than a standard engine.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 PM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously, though, the attractive thing about them to me, aside from the fact that they are probably like driving a rocket, is that it looks like they would be virtually a "new" car. Getting one fixed would still be a challenge, and I have the same issue you do regarding mechanical ability. But they have me thinking..

Old 04-23-2007, 12:51 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Seriously, though, the attractive thing about them to me, aside from the fact that they are probably like driving a rocket, is that it looks like they would be virtually a "new" car.
And they cost about the same as one as well...

But man ALIVE are they sweet... If I had the cash I'd be all over those like stink on... well, you know.

If you end up buying one I'll be around begging for a ride.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:55 PM
womble
2nd Gear
ImagoX,

All good things said above. I have had my "re-vin" Mini for 5 years now. It is a lot of fun as a toy and to tinker with. I really did not do my homework when I bought it and it took a while to figure out what I actually had. (Parts are plentiful, but which ones do you really need??) There are several articles online and in print that go into great detail on what to look for when buying a Classic Mini. With help from friends and our local club, DC area, Capital Mini Register, I have been able to keep it on the road and make the upgrades and fixes on my list. Still a lot of things to be done, but there are other priorities for the $$$. A garage is a must and a significant other who likes Minis is a blessing. My wife wants her own MINI now that she has been around Mini and MINI people for awhile. Good luck
Tom

Old 04-23-2007, 12:58 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
seriously, how can you not want one?!

btw, anyone into these cars should get this book called *complete classic mini* that has detailed year-by-year info and spec on 'em. i got mine from amazon and it's pretty awesome

Attached Thumbnails Am I wrong to want a classic Mini?-1962-cooper.jpg  
Old 04-23-2007, 01:03 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by roaduscarnivorous
seriously, how can you not want one?!

btw, anyone into these cars should get this book called *complete classic mini* that has detailed year-by-year info and spec on 'em. i got mine from amazon and it's pretty awesome
THIS ONE? Looks good - think I'll get it anyway, just because...

Old 04-23-2007, 01:10 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
yep

Old 04-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Yep the V-tecs are really involved...

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/el...ini-build.html

I hope you get a Mini in any form. They are mor efun to drive in my opinion, thought everything comes at a price...

Old 04-23-2007, 01:23 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Yep, you are wrong!!!! You don't want one, you need one!!! I've had mine (ok my wife has had hers) for over a year now and I've learned alot. I took autoshop in highschool, so I have some background, but for the last few years oil changes and tire rotataions have been about it. (and bolt on thingies on my 03 S). The classic is easy to work on and troubleshoot, the manual covers just about everything, so that helps alot.

In the past year I replaced, brakes, exhaust, radiator, water pump, plugs, wires etc. All the projects took less than 1/2 a day and all parts came from 7ent.

Its my wifes "nice weather" daily driver and has only left her stranded once, which was my fault (loose battery cable )

They are great cars to learn to work on. (Oh, and they handle better than the new generation!!!!)

Nik

Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Oh gee thanks... I was REALLY wanting someone to convince me that I REALLY needed one.

Damn you guys! I already lusted after a classic, now owning one has become an imperative for life itself? Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!

Last edited by ImagoX; 04-23-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:38 PM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Oh gee thanks... I was REALLY wanting someone to convince me that I REALLY needed one.

Damn you guys! I already lusted after them, now it's become an imperative for life itself? Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!

oh btw, you're also going to NEED a jaguar e-type, a lotus elan, a triumph tr6...

Old 04-23-2007, 01:44 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
An Elan would definitely be nice, but I'd rather have a really nice red Mini with a red top and white roof... No thanks on the Triumph or Jag though - my British car masochism extends no further than the Minis.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM
VA-CarNut
1st Gear
Still got the itch, Matt? I can give you a whole reading list. I think I've got 10 Classic Mini books now and a couple of CD-ROMs. Each is good at different aspects of selecting, maintaining and restoring. The key to getting a Classic is to do your homework first. Know what to look for. Know how to tell if the car is what is claims to be (year, model, equipment, condition, etc). Decide ahead of time what fits your needs. There are a lot of choices out there - some are already good drivers and others are projects waiting to be done.

I haven't been a Classic owner for long, but I have learned a lot so far. I have two now and they are very different. (You could have had the one I had for sale if you decided faster. Now my wife says we're keeping it. We're a four MINI/Mini family.) As others have said, they're not hard to work on, but they do require some attention. Still, the best advice is to do your homework so you know what you're buying and what you can expect as far as maintenance.

Then plan your trips to take more time than usual because every where you go people will stop and ask you questions about it.

John

Old 04-23-2007, 02:37 PM
dimini
6th Gear

Thanks for posting this site!!!

Wow, I really, really want a Mini pickup like the one pictured on that site. No--let me correct myself. I want that specific Mini pickup. The black one with the Vtech conversion and huge flared fenders.

Hey Imago, funny thing--I just started looking at classic minis this weekend. I parted with my '59 Mercedes last week and the emotional loss is killing me. I just might need a pocket car (or truck) that I can park next to my bicycles and lawnmover-- you know, over in that vacant corner of the garage.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Xanthus
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Be warned, I have my Mini v-tec almost done and I still want to have another one.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:50 PM
minigma
2nd Gear
The good thing about being Human is that you can learn how to do things. You will need to work on your Mini ( when you get it.) at some point in time. Either because you don't won't to wait for your mechanic to get a round toit, or a roadside breakdown. You can't go into any parts store and get parts for it. Some are interchangeble but not many. You can buy a Haynes Manual that will help walk you through the fixes and like. Major things you will need some profesional help for would be Engine/transmission rebuilds. Most every thing else you could do. I think I can, I think I can. Good Luck you will love it.

Quick Reply: Am I wrong to want a classic Mini?