Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Classic Mini Bright Lights Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 07:08 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic Mini Bright Lights Issue

it's been a few days since i had a problem with my Mini, so i guess i'm about due. thankfully, this is a small one, but a problem nontheless.

here's the situation:

- everything electrical works (except the brights)

- when the headlights are on and i pull back on the brights wand, the indicator comes on but no brights

- when the headlights are on and i push forward (lock) the brights wand, the indicator comes on but no brights and the headlights go off.

- same thing when the headlights are off except the indicator doesn't come on when i push forward (lock) the brights wand.

since both headlights are doing the same thing, it would seem to me that the headlights themselves are fine and that there is something wrong in the switch area. although, the indicator comes on. sheeeesh.

all the fuses are ok so it seems like sir lucas has struck again! what do you think?

Old 10-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Philthy
1st Gear
I won't prtend to know where to start looking,but I was having a similar problem while I was at the Dragon run a few months ago. When I attempted to use the high beams,EVERYTHING went dark. After getting home I replaced all the fuses and checked as many electrical connections as I could find. Somehow that seemed to take care of the problem,and everything has worked great ever since (knocking on wood).

Old 10-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The light wiring on a classic Mini is all interconnected. I never had the problem you're describing, but I had a situation where a blown front indicator bulb meant that when I signaled a right turn, my left brake light didn't light up. Took a while to solve that issue.
I'd second Philthy's suggestion. Check all your fuses and connections. I'd add to check all the bulbs on the car.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:01 AM
D1JL
3rd Gear
Isn’t there a headlight relay that can cause these same problems?
I’m sorry the one car I have has no problems and the other two are in various stages of reconstruction and I haven’t got into the electrical yet.

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?pid=33955

Dave

Old 10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by D1JL
Isn’t there a headlight relay that can cause these same problems?
is there a way to test it?

Old 10-04-2005, 03:28 PM
D1JL
3rd Gear
As I stated, I haven’t gotten into the electrical as of yet.
Yes, it can be tested but it would be difficult to explain here. Do you have any electronics background?
The easiest way would be to find someone in your area with a working one and swap it.

Dave

Old 10-04-2005, 03:37 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Use a jumperwire from 30 (12v) to 87 (headlights) This bypasses the headlight stalk & the relays low amperage side of the switch 86 to 85 which triggers 30 to feed 87 The #s should be on the relay. Mine is a '67 so I couldn't even tell you where the relay is, but you have 2 terminals with 12v. & 2 possibly 3 without. (3rd being the indicator light)

Old 10-05-2005, 06:21 AM
STLMINI
6th Gear
uh, my background is in design (graphic, not engineering) so i'm not exactly sure. i'll check under the bonnet and see if i can find the numbers... if i can't, i'll refer this issue to my local mini guru.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:55 AM
D1JL
3rd Gear
Namwob does provide instruction however it may be a little confusing for someone with no electronics experience.

You will need a jumper wire and a 12V test light. Both of these can be obtained at your local auto parts store or Radio Shack.

PM me and I would be happy to walk you through it.

Or if you do have someone local to you that can help, you may wish to consult him.

Dave

Old 08-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Nephestis
Neutral
I'm having a similar problem on a '72 Mini 1000.
Mine is the opposite however, brights work but not the lights everything else electrical works...

STLMINI,
Ever get any resolution?

Old 08-26-2006, 03:54 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
yes, but i didn't do it myself.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Nephestis
Neutral
Was it the relay?
Is that the right path to pursue with my troubleshooting?

Old 08-26-2006, 05:51 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
honestly, i don't know. i'm pretty incompetent when it comes to electrics.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Early Minis don't have relays. Have the lights worked correctly since you have owned the car? Do the parking lights and turn signals work? Since there is no relay and the indicator light is going on, that would tell me that the switch is good and that the problem is from the switch on. What year is it? If it's a MK2 or 3, there is sometimes another in-line fuse hidden under the widnshield panel near the middle, above the air filter and tucked back near the windshield wiper pipes. It is also possible that the connector has come unplugged where it connects near the flitch panel, on the left side near the latch mechanism.

Oh, another thing regarding fuses. British and American fuses are rated MUCH differently. A 30 amp British is not the same as a 30 AGC fuse! American fuses are rated to cary the amps quoted on the fuse while British fuses are rated at their threshold blow point. Here is a link to an article I wrote in Mini News on the subject, which includes a conversion chart. Look on page #5.

http://www.moala.org/MOALA-NEWS/06-JAN-FEB.pdf

Feel free to email or PM me if I can help.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok Rick. Here's a stumper for you.
On my classic, the tacho works fine until I turn on the headlights, when the needle drops back to 0. Turn off the lights, and it works fine again. Any ideas?

Old 08-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Nephestis
Neutral
It's a Mk3 (1972) Canadian car (LHD). There is a relay on the right hand side just forward of the firewall on the innerwing support. It's a 12V 30A as namwob mentioned above. I haven't traced on the wiring diagram what feeds the relay other than the horn (which is right next to it).

The lights have worked correctly since I've owned it. The dash lights work when the lights are on, both turn indicators work and the horn works, parking lights work and the high beams work (push-lock only; not the pull flash).

I figured it was either the relay or the switch in the stalk. It just started after some heavy rains the other day, so I went after the exposed relay possibly getting wet or a loose connection that got wet instead of the switch;

but the "everything else works" threw me...

Old 08-28-2006, 02:14 PM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
While I don't have a Mini, my DeLorean has a very British electrical system, so I'm used to dealing with these types of problems. First you MUST get a multimeter or at the very least a test light. Without one, you are just making your life difficult as you can't see what's truly going on.

As with most problems, start at the beginning of the system and work your way forward until you find the broken spot. Using the meter or test light, start at the switch. Is it getting 12V? How about after you turn it on, is it passing 12V to the headlight system? Are you getting 12V at the relay and after the relay? How about at the lights? If you have 12V there, but no lights, you either have burned out bulbs or a ground problem.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Nephestis
Neutral
I knew someone was going to say that...I was hoping for a "I've seen that before" quick fix.
The Prince of Darkness strikes again....

I have been on this quest to do battle with the Prince of Darkness before. I'll need a six pack, my multimeter and a dumptruck full of patience. And if I don't return, when you speak of me, speak well. lol

Once I sort it all out, I'll post what I found, what I did etc.

Cheers

Old 08-29-2006, 11:51 AM
qskapunk
3rd Gear
I would recommend checking all the connections for the Tach, particularly the ground.
I had a similar problem with my tach, the only difference is that it "sort of" worked (not showing correct RPM, readings were way low) and when I turned on the lights it would drop to zero.

Turns out the ground connection wasn't connected, and after I connected it, PRESTO! it worked again.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Nephestis
Neutral
OK solved it.
Thanks for all the input!

Using this diagram:
http://www.minimania.com/images/wiri...s/wiring12.pdf

I traced everything from the switch to the lights.
Found a couple of things.

The connector that brings the two headlamps together (Blue and White [UW] wires from 8 and 9) into the main wiring harness near the bonnet latch was the main cause. I checked and cleaned every connection and tested after each one. I also found a connector that had come loose tucked under the scuttle panel on the LH side. It was the wiring connector that controled the high beams flash. Cleaned and rconnected it and voila! Amazing how those things work... doh.

The relay my Mini has is an aftermarket, I assume put in by the previous owner who also replaced the horn. The relay feeds the horn only.

Also thanks to Rick for the fuse conversion chart, saved and printed that one for future reference...Great stuff.

Oh and I recharged the Lucas smoke with the recharging kit,
Just to keep it real.... lol

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Most of my experience has been MK1 & MK2 Minis with no relays.

The connector is the same one that I suggested STLMINI check for his lighting problems. They often have problems because they are exposed to the elements. I have developed the habit of putting dielectric grease on all the connectors and have had very good luck. A few hours with a small wire brush, some WD-40, and a tube of dielectric grease will work wonders for old british cars!

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product