What's the value of a Mini? - North American Motoring

Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the value of a Mini?

Old 06-13-2017, 01:52 PM
6th Gear

What's the value of a Mini?

I have a 1978 Mini and am considering selling it. Are there any resources out there that could help me put a fair value on it?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-13-2017, 03:01 PM

Redbook?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:43 AM
6th Gear

my 2 cents:

you could find a local appraiser of classic and collectable cars in your area ... there probably is one - similar folks troll the car shows where I am. I find this to be a hit or miss proposition tho ..... does the person really know anything about Mini? Expect to pay $50 or more for this service.

You can look at MiniMania where there are cars for sale ... but folks tend to ask high prices here .....

Problem is ya want to know what car SOLD for, not the asking price cuz the car is worth what ya get .... cash in hand and not a penny more.

IMO a solid runner, not a VTEC, with good brakes, ready to drive today is typically around $7 to 8000. If it has 'stuff' ... price goes up from there ... if it is a real Cooper/S price goes up (real Cooper meaning 61 - 71 originals).

I've got a 79 with a lot of extra 'stuff' like wood dash, roll cage, Cooper S disk brakes, 10" wheels, A+ 1275 motor with mods, and a bunch more. When asked I say $12,000 ... I get many interested parties but always in the end no one has shown me the money hence my car is not really worth $12,000 .... yet. That's another factor, how quickly do you want to sell it?

I'd mention that I bought my car after seeing it listed 'right here' on NAM. I know a number of folks locally who want a classic, but want to pay less than I'm asking. Few of these read NAM however as the local groups have all slid to FB pages. If you post an ad with a price I'll point it out to the local groups ....
Old 06-14-2017, 02:22 PM
4th Gear

a 1978 mini in a fair condition will fetch in the UK £2000 a mini in restoration condition £500 to 1000 a mini in concurs condition as left the factory £3000 to 4000
Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM
6th Gear

A lot has to do with the equipment too, a 1275 rod change manual trans car will bring more than a 998 automatic, and so on.

Condition is paramount, not just the mechanical condition but rust - or lack of it.

Some modifications hurt the price, some help it.

It's absolutely impossible to value a car from a one line description and one pic.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:01 PM
6th Gear

in other words

hang a price

and tell us what you get

cuz we wanna know ... having NO idea
Old 06-24-2017, 08:16 AM
4th Gear

As Capt bj mentioned most first time buyers that are interested in a classic don't want to spend what the seller wants. What they don't realize if they do get a lower priced mini is that it's likely they'll spend two or three times the buying price to sort it/restore it to a #3 or better standard.