Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

water leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 04:21 AM
jeffpinto
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water leaking

i have a 1998 spec classic and it"s leaking from behind the water pump pulley. it"s not alot it seem to be a drop or a slow trikcle. . if i remove the over flow tank cap it starts to leak or when i park it after driving it . my questios are the following. is there a seal or bushing that i can replace? or is it time to replace the pump.has anyone replaced a pump and are there any tricks that i should know of before i start on this ...

Old 03-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
just a comment from the far side of my brain

but A reason you might not be seeing many replies here .....

folks here are not all that receptive to re-vins or other gray market cars.

I SURE don't know where you are or the history of your car

but in the US a "classic Mini" must be 25 years old to legally import ....

and a 1998 (2015 - 25 = 1990) is kinda outside that window .....

on the other hand ... in general ... if you can get the part (that 'legal in the US' window again) .... from a US supplier .... replacing a water pump (and always replace the gasket too) is EASY. If you must use a UK supplier the cost may be a bit more . . .

Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Leaving all the re-vin comments aside for a moment - you need to replace the water pump, it's leaking and once it leaks the bearing is ruined too....

How hard or easy it is depends on what year the car actually is - is it an SPi or MPi car and so on.

Not a lot of folks have experience with MPi cars in the states as they were never imported here except by re-vin, so very few are here.

In general, remove the radiator (not needed on an MPi car) loosen the alternator belt and remove the pump. Most engines have a small hose that goes straight up from the pump to the head - replace it too at the same time.

I always wonder tho, if a guy needs to ask how to do fairly easy repairs like this, should he be doing them? IOW, do you have the skills and tools needed to successfully do the job? If so, go for it!

You can buy parts from several sources here in the states, but MPi parts might be a little harder to find.

Post some pics up of your car, OK?