Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

1972 Clubman opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:47 PM
SoCalMiniFan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 Clubman opportunity

Hey there,
I've been in the market for a classis Mini for some time now. My top choice would be to own a Cooper or CooperS and drive it until the funds came up to do a vtec conversion, though my better half says otherwise! The oppertunity has come up to possibly purchase a 1972 RHD Clubman 998cc. There is one for sale near my house for $4g. Im going to see it tomorrow. From the pictures The body looks good, the guy said he's converted the brakes to Cooper S disc's, he still needs to put in the pads and replace/rebuild the master cylinder.

My issue is I've spent so much time researching Coopers that I don't know much about the Clubman's other then they have an elongated square nose and weren't nearly as popular as the Cooper's and they don't need modification if I ever did get permission the do a V-tec conversion. My daily driver is a Honda SI, my better half says that's enough V-tec for one person!

Are parts interchangeable between the Cooper and Clubman? I would want to swap out the hydro-suspension for dry suspension, will I run into issues trying to locate parts/kit to do this? I did a quick search for parts and I haven't been super successful, but I've also only begun!

I'm also not completely sold on owning a Clubman, but the car looks good and will be fun to drive around town, and my better half is pretty amped on it even though she knows squat about cars and I'll be the one maintaining it, fixing it, rebuilding it. She said she likes the color, its orange and I like it because a nice big Honda engine will fit in it one day!

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:56 AM
twocute
2nd Gear
If the rust is minimal, and it runs, go for it.(especially if the other half is on board!) Many of the v-tech conversions have turned out to be much more expensive than first thought, and if they get finished, end up being "scary fast". Very tempting, I know...
Clubmans have been viewed as the "ugly duckling" of Minis, but they are just as much fun to drive. If you take care of it, it won't depreciate. Park it indoors and enjoy!

Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 AM
SoCalMiniFan
Neutral
We're going to look at it today with open minds. The better half was stoked on it yesterday and this morning she woke up asking if we really NEED a Mini! We have a garage full of classic toys as it is!

I understand how a V-tec conversion can be pricy and go unfinished which is why if this option ever came up it would be VERY far down the road! I can dream though right? I'm also a fan of the R1 conversion but what I've read is that is a clenched sphincter kind of ride! I have a great respect for vehicles restored to original condition with minor adjustments to make them road worthy for today's environment but I also have a heavy foot and like fast toys!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
To answer your earlier question, the Clubman is the same car mechanically, the only difference is the extra length in front.

Good luck!