Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

DMV - title question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Mikes1098
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DMV - title question

A little back ground.... I recently purchased a 1967 Austin Mini Cooper S from FL. The seller DID have a title, unfortunately it had not been transferred for some time.... and he was not the gentleman on the title. So what I have is the original 1968 title from Ohio. Signed over to Harold S Cleghorn who bought the car for $175 in 1971. At some point in time, I believe this car was simply parked in his garage because of minor body damage (simply not worth fixing).... 30 years slipped by and he never bothered transferring the title. I actually do have the application he filled out but never submitted from 1972, notarized in all.

I attempted to track down Mr. Cleghorn, but it seems he died in 1998. His son was also named Harold S Cleghorn Jr, but he died in 2005. So the best I can piece together, the car was likely sold by a family member after they passed -- who passed along the title they had. I believe it was intended to be parted out by the last purchaser but instead it sat in a warehouse for another 16 years.

Until I stumbled on the car. I have great hopes to restore it; to get it back on the road. But that will only make sense to do if I can get the title transferred to my name. I am hopeful that there is a way to do this -- considering this title is 46 years old. But I am also afraid the 46 year old mistake may not be possible to undo now that everyone has passed away.

Any information on whether or not this is possible, and what the next steps would be, would greatly be appreciated.

UPDATE: I did talk to my DMV and they suggested applying for a lost title, which is possible for cars over 25 yrs old in SC... but I am not sure that is a real title or just something to allow me to register it. I would hate to run into issues if I moved to another state.

Last edited by Mikes1098; 10-15-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 PM
BritVik
Neutral
Wow, what a story. Sorry I can't be of any help, but well done researching back through the years. I wonder what DMV has to say. Let us know.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:29 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically, applying for a lost title successfully means you will end up with a valid title and no worries regarding a title.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Are you sure the original owner wasn't Foghorn Cleghorn? Naw, just kidding, am showing my age..

Titles vary from state to state, but it's been my experience in AZ that the DMV will work with an old title and get it transferred after a certain amount of waiting..

Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
as others have said it varies a lot from state to state

I'd carry everything you have to DMV and ask ... all they can say is no.

I'm fairly confident FL would give a title with what you have. I got a replacement for a "lost" title just a few weeks ago ... took all of 15 minutes once I got to the window and I left with a new title in hand.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 PM
mona5255
2nd Gear
I do titles for a living for years (however NOT in FL) Other post was correct, varies from state to state. If you know a auto dealer in your area they may be able to gease the hands of the person at the license branch. First problem, the notary has to stll be still a "notary" (only if the DMV picks at your paperwork) 2nd your gonna pay late fees & penalties (most states have a max. usually $200-$300). Question, why did u but a vehicle w/o a valid title with the person selling it's name on the front? Big "no no". Why did u wait so long? Anyway I know we all get busy & it was probably a good deal. On the lighter side its considered "classic" they MAY go easy on you at the license office. Good luck - wish I had that car

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mona5255
I do titles for a living for years (however NOT in FL) Other post was correct, varies from state to state. If you know a auto dealer in your area they may be able to gease the hands of the person at the license branch. First problem, the notary has to stll be still a "notary" (only if the DMV picks at your paperwork) 2nd your gonna pay late fees & penalties (most states have a max. usually $200-$300). Question, why did u but a vehicle w/o a valid title with the person selling it's name on the front? Big "no no". Why did u wait so long? Anyway I know we all get busy & it was probably a good deal. On the lighter side its considered "classic" they MAY go easy on you at the license office. Good luck - wish I had that car

The OP states that he recently purchased the car. It wasn't him that didn't transfer the title but the people prior. If I'm reading it correctly, the the owner before purchased it 16 years ago and was going to part it out so it would be pointless to transfer the title. That didn't happen so he has a car with a messed up title history. Not really a big deal.

Late fees might not even apply if the date of sale is recent enough, it wasn't him that neglected to transfer the title. (At least that would be reasonable, but we are talking about the government).

Now do you deal with FL DMV or SC DMV, I'm assuming that you live in SC?

Also if you really need it (but I doubt it) the sale could be in probate records.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your DMV should be able to give you the lost title paperwork without stamping it SALVAGE. And then the title you get will look like any ordinary title just as thought the sale went through normally.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 PM
mona5255
2nd Gear
Salvage not at all an issue in FL - they dont do salvage titles